Heyy guys i really need some help with taking my improvisation to the next level because ATM i am playing very predictable licks without any zing! or kapow!. I can play blues to a beginner level but i really cant construct a decent solo or improvise that well since i run out of ideaas. Where would b the direction to go:
Learning licks.
I hear single string ideas were good. Any exercises or videos are recommended and will b thanked for (in advance : ) ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEcKlKyYz08

It's all about keeping the listener hooked. I find, similarly to Greg Howe in this video, that building tension somehow is a great way to do that. In the video the way he proposes is contrast. Just thought it'd be good for you to watch.

Now. If you're runnign out of ideas I assume you're doing improv through lick based playing. Personally I do it the Guthrie Govan way and just play whatever's in my head.
What I'd suggest to you, is getting maybe a 2/3 chord backing track, and learning those chords, analysing what sounds good over them, be it through licks or just off your head, this'll start you off in knowing what notes sound good over what chords and all that.

Also, if you're doing it lick based, you will need a massive bank of licks if you want to get some constant mixed up improv. If I were to go off licks I'd do two things, I'd make my own licks for one, and I'd also listen to my favourite artists and take licks off them (then change them to fit whatever I was playing over).
If you were to do it like this, I'd suggest at least learning one lick of another musician and thinking of one of your own per day, at the least.

I'd love to go into more detail as what I've said is very vague and on the surface, but I have to head out, sorry!
Thannkkk you ! Punk_Ninja could u pls go into further detail and happen to return to this thread about ur other method.
Well all run into this problem, friend.
Do you truly understand scales and how they relate to certain chords? Do you know a lot of of the modes? That really helped spice up my solo and improv skills.

While improv alone, start exploring the fretboard more openly. Changing scales with chords (and not just sticking with overall song key) will help. But I mean start stepping out into the fretboard. I have come up with some cool licks that I keep in mind that way. You will hit some bad notes here and there, but you will get the hang of it. I guess I'm telling you to explore blindly, and that's not recommended, but you will be surprised.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Okay, I have returned.

To answer your question on a "good website for licks", the best place for licks isn't in any website (you rarely find a website with licks, mainly exercises which often sound bad in musical context), the best place is in the music you like, or in your head or whatever.

Or even in music you don't like. For example, what I tend to do, when I'm transcribing or just figuring out a tune, is to figure out parts which aren't actually a guitar part to add a certain different feel to any licks I take from a piece. For example, if you take a lick from a Coltrane sax solo or something, then apply it, not only to the guitar, but to the style of music you play, you'll end up having a very original sounding lick to put in your bank of licks.

This sort of stuff can put a large original twist into your improvising.

But also, some tips which are on the surface for improvising.
Learn your scales, like, the whole of the scale, every shape etc.
Learn which notes sound good over which chords (i.e. on the basic level of it, being able to use the root, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th to make a good sound over a major chord etc)
Learn how to build and resolve tension (well you can't really learn this, it's just a concept which is great, there are many ways to create tension as mentioned in that Greg Howe video I linked you to, but for example playing "outside", which is also slightly touched on in Marty Friedman's Melodic Control, if you play a note that isn't within the scale for a chord, but then bend it to a chord-tone you can really put the listener on the edge for that second you're playing a "wrong" note, which is then resolved as you make it right...if that makes sense).
Also, it's worth working on technique to link all these notes toghether!

I'm still touching it at a very basic level, but these light tips should get you going, I'd also like to state, don't make improvising an exercise! I used to stick a backing track on then just play exercises in the key of the backing track, it doesn't sound good! Keep musical, stick to whatever's backing you and interact with the whole band (if a band's involved, if not, go with the track!).

Though I'd also like to state that practicing exercises can be made a bit more fun when practicing them to a backing track.

Hope I've helped a bit!