hi all i have recently been trying to create my own music, but am not sure what program i should use. any suggestions at all would be great.

thanks
Audacity. It's a free, simple, down-to-earth audio interface.

I use session by m-audio, but it was like 70 bucks, may not be an option for you if you're looking at cheap/free software.

SlayingEdit:

Unless you mean like the below user, to tab/write it down. Powertab is a free program, along with TuxGuitar, although I find powertab easier to work with.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 9, 2010,
FL Studio: Used a lot for Hip Hop, and Electronica (It's relatively well-priced)

Ableton: Used a lot for electronica. I don't really know anything about this one.

Finale: Classical, mostly. I'm sure you could do Jazz and more contemporary shit with it, too. It can get expensive as balls. Finale Songwriter is only $50, but it's not very good at all.

Siblius (Sp? I dunno, it sounded like some shit that began with an S): I've heard it's a lot like Finale. I also heard the strings sound good, woodwinds aren't as good as finale, though.
Quote by captaincrunk
Don't listen to those guys. You want Tux Guitar. It's the best for writing ideas. If you want to record though, we have a forum dedicated to it called Riffs and Recordings.

Lol, nah.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by captaincrunk
Don't listen to those guys. You want Tux Guitar. It's the best for writing ideas. If you want to record though, we have a forum dedicated to it called Riffs and Recordings.

I beg to differ. I find powertab quicker and easier for just jotting down quick ideas for guitar.

But Tux Guitar is better for writing full songs, if you're willing to take the little bit of extra time.
If you don't want to pay that much for Sibelius and Finale, MuseScore is a decent freeware alternative.
Quote by SlayingDragons
I beg to differ. I find powertab quicker and easier for just jotting down quick ideas for guitar.

But Tux Guitar is better for writing full songs, if you're willing to take the little bit of extra time.

Well he did say he wanted to make his own music.
pro tools...
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
the new GuitarPro6 is pretty awesome.

'Legally' obtain that if you will
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
If you plan on actually recording guitar-based music, I personally would recommend Cubase. If you just want to compose, I would recommend Fruity Loops, because you can do a bunch of fun stuff with it.
I dare you to try CSound.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Recording: Audacity, Reaper, Pro Tools, FL Studio.

Writing Scores: GP5/GP6, TuxGuitar, PowerTab, Sibelius.

A few I mentioned are free, but you know, it's the internet.
Quote by chaoticfables
Recording: Audacity, Reaper, Pro Tools, FL Studio.

Writing Scores: GP5/GP6, TuxGuitar, PowerTab, Sibelius.

A few I mentioned are free, but you know, it's the internet.

Reason. its awesome. Jennifer Batten and many other famous musicians use it.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

compliment from fellow UGer
Quote by CoreysMonster

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Quote by TheReverend724
Reason

Only for electronic stuff, though. Well, I guess it can do anything if you're willing to record tracks in something else, and then plopping them in a sampler track.

I'd recommend Ableton Live, but it costs a lot of money if you're not willing to pirate.

Quote by DirtyMakik
I dare you to try CSound.

I tried learning CSound, but the audio was all messed up. And it wasn't just me; the presets put out choppy-sounding audio, too. Pure Data is better. Haven't really gotten around to really learning it, though.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 9, 2010,

Songsmith.

My daughter lisa uses it all the time to make music.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Holy Katana

I tried learning CSound, but the audio was all messed up. And it wasn't just me; the presets put out choppy-sounding audio, too. Pure Data is better. Haven't really gotten around to really learning it, though.

Did you try processing in real-time?
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Holy Katana
I don't remember. Would that have made it worse?

You need a rly rly rly rly good computer to make it run flawlessly in real-time.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
You need a rly rly rly rly good computer to make it run flawlessly in real-time.

I'm pretty sure I didn't. I made sure to check my audio settings.

It's not like Pure Data is worse or anything. I'm pretty sure they can do the same stuff.
Guitar Pro is great for writing music.
If you want something more complex, Adobe Audition is my favorite but Steinberg Cubase is good, too.
LIGHTNING