I want an amp that can play Prog Metal like Dream Theater or Thrash Metal like Iron Maiden (if you call Iron Maiden Thrash which not everyone does)
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Jul 9, 2010,
Just no.

Don't...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ That would be better than a Spider, but if you look used, you could get a real amp. Just sayin'.

I'm assuming that you rely on the effects in the amp? If so, and you can't afford a multi FX, then you may want to go with a Vypyr.

Or, you could get something like a Boss ME-70 and hook it up to your frontman - it'd be a temporary fix, until you can get a real amp - then your sound will really come alive.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ That would be better than a Spider, but if you look used, you could get a real amp. Just sayin'.

I'm assuming that you rely on the effects in the amp? If so, and you can't afford a multi FX, then you may want to go with a Vypyr.

Or, you could get something like a Boss ME-70 and hook it up to your frontman - it'd be a temporary fix, until you can get a real amp - then your sound will really come alive.

Since when is a Vypyr not a real amp
I'm sorry. It's really late/early here. I'm not thinking as clearly as I usually do.

The Vypyr is an amazing amp. I mean, I have one.

I did mean real as in tube, and also as in something that's not a modeling amp, but I didn't mean to say that the Vypyr is bad.

EDIT:
Quote by WtrPlyr
Ah well, that's just stupid. I'd love to see a used tube amp for $300 that does heavy tones good. Unless he's lucky and finds a used 6505 for half off.

I got my VK212 for just over $300. It can do heavy. Like no shit, I can get some massive palm mutes out of it, all without even being boosted with anything.

And I'm talking about metalcore/death metal heavy, he's talking about light progressive stuff. There'd be no problem.

The lead boost is on on the amp though, but still. If he really, really wants a tube amp, a ValveKing can do it. Not nearly as easily or well as a 6505, not by a long shot, but it can do it, and do it well enough.

Assuming he get's a 112, it'd be easily in his budget, if he's willing to look.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by WtrPlyr
Ah well, that's just stupid. I'd love to see a used tube amp for $300 that does heavy tones good. Unless he's lucky and finds a used 6505 for half off.
One of the Bugera high-gainers would do the trick. I think they're starting to show up more in the used market. Although not for much cheaper than new.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Offworld92

It would take me a while to save up for a 'real' amp if by real you mean tube.

I have heard putting effects pedals through a low quality amp (my Frontman) sounds shitty, I really like the sound of the Peavy
Quote by Offworld92
I'm sorry. It's really late/early here. I'm not thinking as clearly as I usually do.

The Vypyr is an amazing amp. I mean, I have one.

I did mean real as in tube, and also as in something that's not a modeling amp, but I didn't mean to say that the Vypyr is bad.

EDIT:

I got my VK212 for just over $300. It can do heavy. Like no shit, I can get some massive palm mutes out of it, all without even being boosted with anything.

And I'm talking about metalcore/death metal heavy, he's talking about light progressive stuff. There'd be no problem.

The lead boost is on on the amp though, but still. If he really, really wants a tube amp, a ValveKing can do it. Not nearly as easily or well as a 6505, not by a long shot, but it can do it, and do it well enough.

Assuming he get's a 112, it'd be easily in his budget, if he's willing to look.
I'm willing to look into ANYTHING good of this kind of play style, also, I am afraid I will look up the wrong amps, can you give me an exact name of the amp or maybe a link to the exact product somewhere?
This is over your budget, but the tube vypyr sounds pretty damn good, and the valveking combo, from what i've heard, needs a speaker change and lot of mods to make it sound decent.

Heres a link to the vypyr tube 60 on Guitarcenter.com maybe you could find a used one on ebay or something.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc

Bugera's would do the job too.

For under $300 you probably won't get a great TUBE metal tone unless you raise your budget a little. A solid state will do it just fine though if you don't mind it. The Vypyr solid states sound pretty damn good for the price and competition (MG's and Spiders.)
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by Offworld92

Smartest thing said on this forum in months
vypyrs are garbage. good for practice but I would never gig with one
Quote by RocknRory
This is over your budget, but the tube vypyr sounds pretty damn good, and the valveking combo, from what i've heard, needs a speaker change and lot of mods to make it sound decent.

Heres a link to the vypyr tube 60 on Guitarcenter.com maybe you could find a used one on ebay or something.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc

Bugera's would do the job too.

For under $300 you probably won't get a great TUBE metal tone unless you raise your budget a little. A solid state will do it just fine though if you don't mind it. The Vypyr solid states sound pretty damn good for the price and competition (MG's and Spiders.)
I could do that, how much would a fairly decent used tube amp be?
Quote by handbanana

you really ought to read a little further before you make any "clever" posts like that
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
you really ought to read a little further before you make any "clever" posts like that
Exactly, I don't plan on playing gigs ANYTIME soon, not NEARLY good enough IMO.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Exactly, I don't plan on playing gigs ANYTIME soon, not NEARLY good enough IMO.

well i was referring more to the fact that Offworld92 pointed out in a later post that he wasn't intending to slag off the vypyr at all
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
well i was referring more to the fact that Offworld92 pointed out in a later post that he wasn't intending to slag off the vypyr at all
Oh, well that too
Quote by handbanana

The smartest thing said on this forum in months is a knock on Spiders, followed by a completely misleading comment about 'real amps?'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Oh well. Get a Bugera V22, I guess. It'll do Maiden on it's own and heavier stuff with a boost in front.

Used Peavey Classic 30 is also an option and covers the same styles as the V22.

Both will be loud enough for band use.
Quote by TheQuailman
Oh well. Get a Bugera V22, I guess. It'll do Maiden on it's own and heavier stuff with a boost in front.

Used Peavey Classic 30 is also an option and covers the same styles as the V22.

Both will be loud enough for band use.
doesn't need to be super loud, I would actually prefer it isn't TOO loud, I have pissy neighbors... But it can do Iron Maiden and something like Dream Theater?
whether you plan on gigging or not, i'm basically saying the vypyr doesn't sound good.
Quote by handbanana
whether you plan on gigging or not, i'm basically saying the vypyr doesn't sound good.
What about the Bugera?
Well, these amps have a master volume, they sound fine at low levels, too.

Maiden yes, easily. But proper high gain lead tones like DT will require a boost and even then it won't really sound alike... the tone will work for the music though. It won't be the real thing, but it'll sound nice and do the trick.

If you want a tone that actually resembles DT, you'd have to invest 500-600 (or more, depending how authentic and high quality you'd like it).

Basically, your budget sets a certain limits. These two amps aren't the best options I can think of, but they're the only good ones that come to mind for 300 bucks.

EDIT: Vypyrs are nice enough, but a bit pointless if you don't need the versatility (which I guess you don't). Modellers are nice for beginners to find their own tone and folks who need a simple setup that does everything.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, these amps have a master volume, they sound fine at low levels, too.

Maiden yes, easily. But proper high gain lead tones like DT will require a boost and even then it won't really sound alike... the tone will work for the music though. It won't be the real thing, but it'll sound nice and do the trick.

If you want a tone that actually resembles DT, you'd have to invest 500-600 (or more, depending how authentic and high quality you'd like it).

Basically, your budget sets a certain limits. These two amps aren't the best options I can think of, but they're the only good ones that come to mind for 300 bucks.
Bah, I don't need it dead on, doesn't matter that much, I have a damn Frontman 15G, I have had it almost a year and I'm getting sick of it.

I only wish I had a demo of the Bugera where someone was actually playing Metal... Looking on youtube and everyone is playing damn soft rock and such.
Quote by TheQuailman
I think you'll be fine then. Make sure to order from a place where you can give it back in case you don't like it.
Okay, I'll be sure to demo at least some of these too, definitely the Bugera and the Peavey.
Not to bump my own thread, but I listened to a few demos of the Bugera and it sound a lot like what I am looking for, not EXACTLY the sound I want but it will get the job done I am sure, I will be sure to demo it.
Well, recordings sound different than what you hear in real life. Usually the recording setups used for soundclips are far from professional and pc speakers don't do an amp justice as well. And then there's EQing, of course. If it gets pretty close in clips, there's a good chance you might like it IRL. Demo it if at all possible.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, recordings sound different than what you hear in real life. Usually the recording setups used for soundclips are far from professional and pc speakers don't do an amp justice as well. And then there's EQing, of course. If it gets pretty close in clips, there's a good chance you might like it IRL. Demo it if at all possible.
I definitely will, thank for the help.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
What about the Bugera?

I mean peavey makes good amps, but the vypyr, valveking, and windsor, aren't some of them.

Bugera on the other hand makes a pretty good line and low prices.
If you like peavey check out the 6260/62 or the 333XL. Or you could try the 1990 if you like more of a marshall crunch. I've been looking at a 1990 a lot lately, it also gives you the option of running it at 60 watts or 120.
Quote by handbanana
I mean peavey makes good amps, but the vypyr, valveking, and windsor, aren't some of them.

Bugera on the other hand makes a pretty good line and low prices.
If you like peavey check out the 6260/62 or the 333XL. Or you could try the 1990 if you like more of a marshall crunch. I've been looking at a 1990 a lot lately, it also gives you the option of running it at 60 watts or 120.
Cool, I can use all the options I can get, just more demoing for me!