couldn't think of a title so... i'm in a band, and we're finally gonna compose our own songs, but we can't figure what genre we should play, i like metal, our drummer and vocalist likes pop music, and our other guitarist likes post rock something, not that i'm the leader of the band, but we agreed that i'm gonna decide so, yeah... long story short... what genre sounds like pop, rock and metal... thanks in advance...
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

Probably not the kind of advice that you were expecting, but I think you should be in a band with people who like the same genre of music as you. Otherwise, if you're playing pop when your preferred genre is metal, you won't be enjoying it, and cliché as it may be, making music is supposed to be enjoyable.
@triface
yeah, but it was like a childhood promise that we'd make a band... there's gotta some way it'll work out right?
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

make him come up with a chord progression, kick some poppy beat behind it and some metal riff over the place.

seriously, sit together and jam for a while. that should get you started.

You don't have to pick a genre when starting a band. Just play and that kind of stuff will work itself out.
@ibrahimasood
k, gonna listen to some alternative rock bands, any suggestions?

@Carl_Berg
lol

@Bingt
cool, guess it WILL work out if we do it like that
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Try listening to bands you all like for a start.

Possibly something like Skillet, while ignoring the fact they're christians they're pritty good. It's kinda like hard-rock but with some guitar in drop C I think it sounds quite metal ish.

Overall I think Triface is right though. I've been in a similar position as you and it didn't work. Give it a go but if it's not working out I think you'll all realize.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by triface
Probably not the kind of advice that you were expecting, but I think you should be in a band with people who like the same genre of music as you. Otherwise, if you're playing pop when your preferred genre is metal, you won't be enjoying it, and cliché as it may be, making music is supposed to be enjoyable.

I disagree. My other 3 band members primary taste in music are all completely different. The best thing is the fact that we all bring different influences to the table and our music is so versatile. Differences can lead to great things.

I think you just need to write songs and see what happens. There doesn't need to be a specific genre you're looking to play unless you're really looking for that.
@mikey_360
well, there ain't a band that we all listen to, so that might be a problem, but we're still gonna try

@SeeEmilyPlay
alright, we're gonna see how it turns out then
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Forget genres, that's setting yourself up for a fall.

Just get together, bounce ideas off each other and see what you come up with - the way you're set up it's either going to be a complete car crash or it'll sound amazing
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try listening to some japanese rock/metal bands like The Gazette, Spinalcord, Deluhi, Girugamesh. They are also known as "visual kei." I think they do a good job at blending metal, rock, and elements of pop.

Also, like has been mentioned, the term "alternative" will probably be of use to you.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 9, 2010,
fixationdarknes has a good point with Japanese Visual Kei, those bands are great and if you made a style like that it would be great. Some good visual kei bands that he didn't mention are: Versailles, Dir En Grey and Phantasmagoria. The Gazzete are really good too

But always remember to write whatever kind of music you want to write.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Bands don't have to be one genre....look at led zeppelin, they had rock songs, ballads, folk songs, bluegrass, reggae etc they were a lot of everything and it worked out well for them..

i know personally the members of my band like a lot of different styles so we'll record different songs, i'm primarily a hard rock/classic metal guy, but we also play punk and blues and stuff and it's cool
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
I was in a similarly mixed-genre-liking band. Metal, punk, pop and classical (the drummer eirdly enough). We ended up with a nice alt. rock style... the odd heavy song, the odd more pop-ish song but all with catchy vocal melodies.

Don't worry about trying to sound like anyone or anything else. Try writing acoustically to start with, working on string melody lines, and see what you come out with and then transfer that to a full band practice.

See how it goes for a while but TALK to each other. It's quite possible to make this work but you have to COMMUNICATE so much in the early period so that you know how each and every member feels about what you're doing.

If you do this and then find someone to not be happy, then it's time to try something else. But at least you tried.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by camaross427
Bands don't have to be one genre....look at led zeppelin, they had rock songs, ballads, folk songs, bluegrass, reggae etc they were a lot of everything and it worked out well for them..

i know personally the members of my band like a lot of different styles so we'll record different songs, i'm primarily a hard rock/classic metal guy, but we also play punk and blues and stuff and it's cool

Another good example is Queen - they pretty much spanned every genre under the sun during their career.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I say just have everyone in the band come up with a new lick or riff or beat or something and have it ready for the next practice session, and then try to build off of each other and see what happens.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
If you have to just have everyone add in a part from there genre, and mix it together. Me, and two of my friends started a band. We were all really pumped about it. But now its not so good, because the drummer likes punk, the guitarist likes rock, and I prefer metal. We are all bestfriends, but it doesnt work. So were most likely gonna split soon. The point I am trying to make is, it wont always work out. It might be best to find people that play the same genre as you.
thanks for the replies guys, gonna try out you're suggestions

@steven seagull
sure hope that we WON'T sound like a car crash
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Last edited by shadowz_fall at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by shadowz_fall
thanks for the replies guys, gonna try out you're suggestions

@steven seagull
sure hope that we WON'T sound like a car crash

Well, that was a worst case scenario

With varied influences you've all got something slightly different to contribute, if you're all good friends and can keep ego and musical prejudice out of the picture you're prefectly primed to produce something unique.

Arguably from a creative point of view you're in a better position than a band where everyone listens to and plays the same stuff. You've got a much larger breadth of colelctive experience to draw from. Also bear in mind that you can remain true to your style of playing without having to actually play material from that genre.

You like metal, so your playing is naturally going to be a little aggressive, with distorted chunky tones and accurate riffing.

The singer likes pop - that's perfect because it means your singer can sing and isn't going to try any of that god-awful growling crap.

Drummer likes pop - that's also good because he should have a good instinct for maintaining a catchy rhythm, too many metal drummers revert to that one-paced, monotonous rumble.

Other guitarist likes post rock. I don't have a clue what that means. I'm guessing we're looking more wall-of-sound a la Kevin Shields in which case again that's great as you can create a great contrast between your tighter, more focussed style and his looser, less defined soundscapes.

Plus if you're all intelligent and mature enough then it's easy enough to drift a little in the other direction just so everything pulls together.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

@steven seagull
thanks a lot man, i'll keep these in mind i guess playing different genres in a band is pretty awesome, it sure looks like a win-win situation too, we can all play the genres we want and still sound good, thanks for the tips
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Quote by mikey_360

Possibly something like Skillet, while ignoring the fact they're christians they're pritty good.

Dave Mustaine is a Christian
Why don't you just jam it out? Interesting things can come from genre sharing
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."