last night, at band practice, we started talking about getting gigs. The drummer suddenly came out to say his heart wasn't in it anymore and he wouldn't play live with our drumkit (I own it) because it's not a decent kit. He's still happy to practice.

So, with the majority of the band aiming towards gigging I already think I know how to approach this. By talking to him to find out what the problem is and then either let him go amicably or come to an agreement about gigging.

I feel that he is nervous about taking that step towards playing live as he has no previous experience. How would you approach the issue? Not to try and force him to play; because that's not fair, but to find the best possible solution for the band.
i would tell him to get the sand out of his vag...
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Well ask him to replace the kit, with one he feels is better suited to gigging in his opinion.

But be prepared he will probably have another excuse, best bet is to just tell him to do his job or find someone who will.

While its sad to be subjected to this kind of a decision, its one often faced by people who lead others in any form of business
What caseharr33 said. If he's not willing to invest in his own drumkit that he feels would be suitable, then he's either just scared of TEH GIGZ or he's not someone you should be willing to invest in.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Yeah.... I mean, if he is serious about wanting to play drums - for you or for anyone else - he needs to get a kit. If he's going to moan about the quality of yours, it really is time for him to get his own kit - even if he's just going to rent one for the time being. Alternately, I've seen used kits go for pretty cheap.

If he's not serious about wanting to play drums, then maybe you should find someone who is.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
wow thanks man for marking me as spam for posting what i would do he is nervous about playing live for the first time so he needs to get over it and do it anyways and u mark me as spam sweet deal
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
wow thanks man for marking me as spam for posting what i would do he is nervous about playing live for the first time so he needs to get over it and do it anyways and u mark me as spam sweet deal

Uh no, what you said was spam. You acted like a dick.

OT: At your first gigs you're unlikely to be using your own kit anyway. Normally you'd be using the headline band's kit and your own cymbals and snare.

But regardless, if you don't want to play gigs, you shouldn't be in a band. Simple.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by caseharr33
Well ask him to replace the kit, with one he feels is better suited to gigging in his opinion.

Suggested that. He can't afford it

But be prepared he will probably have another excuse, best bet is to just tell him to do his job or find someone who will.

He did; 'My hearts not in it'

While its sad to be subjected to this kind of a decision, its one often faced by people who lead others in any form of business
Yeah it's a pain, normally I'm good for making these decisions. Just this time

Quote by axemanchris

If he's not serious about wanting to play drums, then maybe you should find someone who is.
That's the jist of it

CT

Quote by asator

OT: At your first gigs you're unlikely to be using your own kit anyway. Normally you'd be using the headline band's kit and your own cymbals and snare.

That's true, I didn't mention that. However I feel that the drum kit issue is just an excuse for not wanting to admit that he's nervous at the thought of gigging

It's a shame really, because we'd just started making rough recordings and we are all proud of what we've written. It's also bizarre, because we've got a lot of support from friends, family and contacts we've made since starting out.

Well it was inevitable. Guess I'll be having 'that' talk quite soon.
Quote by selkies

You don't really want to discuss this publicly do you?

Now, if you simply put it the way you just did (bolded), that wouldn't have been a problem. The way you put it the first time would be considered by most offensive at least, and is really immature at best. THAT is spam.

Maybe in the Pit that goes overlooked, but in MT, us mods set the standards higher.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I think all the bases have been covered for this situation. Tell him to go buy a second hand kit, and if he's still against the idea, advise that he may want to play live with yours until he can afford his own. If he's still against that, it's likely that the issue is probably nothing to do with the drums. So then ask him what his real issue is. If it's really the drums, just tell him that you'll get a drummer who can play live then.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Just make him atleast man himself up to TRY playing live a couple of times, before deciding wether or not it is something he likes doing.

I for one do not enjoy playing live even half as much as making the actual music, but sometimes it has to be done. And once in a while you get an awesome experience, that almost instantly teaches you something. Which is good.

Also, shocking people is bloody fun!
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!