I would like to clear a few things up:

1. I just made this account

2. I've been playing for 1 year, 1 week.

3. I can play moderately well (intermediate and some advanced stuff such as average solos and very fast riffs) but I know little about the guitar.

4. My gear is awful.

Because of these facts, the following questions have arisen.

1. Is this forum active?

2. Am I progressing too slowly? (I can't sweep pick -cleanly- yet and it's been a year, is that a problem?)

3. I can't find more stuff to play. What would you recommend?

4. How can I get money for more gear? I am quite young and rarely get money.

Thank you for reading and even more if you respond.

EDIT!!!!!: Sorry, I forgot one thing, how am I supposed to write a song? I can't seem to get anything when I try.

Also, please excuse my formal English, I understand it can be annoying at times, but I have trouble with myself whenever I type informally on a board. Unless of course this is a formal board, which would be great.
Last edited by Akao at Jul 9, 2010,
The A's to the Q's:

1. Yes.

2. No. Honestly you're getting ahead of yourself at only a year.

3. Check these:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125532
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625297

4. Get a job if you're old enough. Get an under-the-table job if you aren't.

5. Writing will come with time. Keep learning songs, techniques, theory, etc. and then use the things you learn to experiment. There are a lot of good resources in here. Check the songwriting and musician talk forums for info on writing.

Good luck and welcome. Oh, and stay out of the Pit. Seriously.
2. How so? Just wondering.

3. Thank you, those were very helpful.

Lastly, what's the Pitt?
Quote by Akao
Lastly, what's the Pitt?

The Pit is the off-topic forum on UG. It's the most popular forum, and most newcomers are usually told to avoid it.

It's a great place though. All of the forums on UG are just amazing and will surely be willing to help you (maybe not The Pit).

Check it out, as well as any of the other forums that interest you. They're all awesome.

Welcome to UG.

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Akao
2. How so? Just wondering.

You really want to work on your fundamentals before you go on to other things. You want to establish good playing habits, technique, posture, etc. A lot of people will say they want to learn things like sweep picking before they even know what an arpeggio is or how to construct one (just as an example). Work on the foundation before the house so to speak. I recommend reading this:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

and

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796

and looking through

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1090693

Hope those are helpful. If you don't know any theory I recommend learning that as well.
Thank you for that jfrey! That helped a lot, it's only been an hour and I already cleaned up my playing quite a bit and got my pinky in action.
Quote by Akao
I would like to clear a few things up:

1. I just made this account

2. I've been playing for 1 year, 1 week.

3. I can play moderately well (intermediate and some advanced stuff such as average solos and very fast riffs) but I know little about the guitar.

4. My gear is awful.

Because of these facts, the following questions have arisen.

1. Is this forum active?

2. Am I progressing too slowly? (I can't sweep pick -cleanly- yet and it's been a year, is that a problem?)

3. I can't find more stuff to play. What would you recommend?

4. How can I get money for more gear? I am quite young and rarely get money.

Thank you for reading and even more if you respond.

EDIT!!!!!: Sorry, I forgot one thing, how am I supposed to write a song? I can't seem to get anything when I try.

Also, please excuse my formal English, I understand it can be annoying at times, but I have trouble with myself whenever I type informally on a board. Unless of course this is a formal board, which would be great.

1. Very active. You will find some very smart people here eager to help. Just remember to stay respectful. It's surprising how talented some members are and how in depth their knowledge goes.

2. It doesn't matter how slow you go. Guitar is something you learn at your own pace. Ik for instance, started in 8th grade and played simple shit until I was in about 11th. I started pushing myself a lot harder and can now sweep a lot and it's very fun haha you set your pace and don't worry about comparing years and talent. It's something we all do for fun.

3. What styles are you into right now?

4. Prostitution. (Find a job, mow lawns, babysit)

5. Writing music takes time to start up. You can't get mad at yourself if you write a few shitty songs or can't seem to get some lyrics out. That's how a lot of people start. Just listen intently to your influences in music and start thinking about sounds that YOU would like to contribute to music and sometimes that means waiting for that spark of inspiration. Give it time, and forcing it usually ends up with subpar material. I say that because it happens to me a lot haha send me a message if you want and I can go in depth about what I do, but it might just only work for me. Find what gives you inspiration and have at it!

Edit: I'm just going to throw this in as a reminder, remember to ALWAYS read the rules in a forum before posting. I've asked questions answered by the first line and it's helpful to not get banned.

Welcome....to UG.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by blake1221
Find what gives you inspiration and have at it!

This is good advice. For me personally it is listening to new and unique bands that makes me rethink what I'm doing with music. And also books, The Planets by Dava Sobel gave me a ton of inspiration to sit down and write music.
Quote by blake1221
Welcome....to UG.

Quote by blake1221
3. What styles are you into right now?

Metal n' such. Classical metal and any rock.