Hi i'm changing the strings on a fender stratocaster since the high-e snapped.

I was wondering what brand of strings what type and what gage it should be
any price range just what lasts longer and gives a nice clean tone.

it's a mexican Fender stratocaster standard.

don't be trolling on the mexicans strat please
Dadario's will last a long time. I tried Elixirs for a while. They do last as far as going 'dead' goes, but they break easy. So I guess it also depends on what you mean by 'last'.
there are SO many threads like this - there is no such thing as "the best" - everything is a matter of personal preference. You need to decide what works for you, instead of looking for other people to tell you what they think. Go buy some d'addarios, ernie balls, elixr's, etc... play them each for a while and see what you like best.

if you want my personal preference, d'addarios for sure. I played ernie ball's for 4-5 years then one day I was stocking up on strings and they didnt have my regulars, so I decided to try d'addarios and ended up liking them better.

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
depends on how much you play. I tend to change my strings once a month, but i practice every day and im in a giging band as well. I use ernie ball strings and their 10's, nice tone and they have decent life in em. but i guess its all a matter of preferance.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Ratraisin
Dadario's will last a long time. I tried Elixirs for a while. They do last as far as going 'dead' goes, but they break easy. So I guess it also depends on what you mean by 'last'.

+1

Elixir's do that to me too... they can't take bends very well. I recently tried the Ernie Ball titaniums- they are pretty good.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
anything standard like daddarios and ball i find rust out or go bad REALLY fast if you leave your guitar in the open. in a case, they last a lot longer.

longest lasting strings ive tried are elixers and dean markley blue steels. i findmexican strats to be very mellow sounding. elixers are VERY bright and chimey. it could be a good ofset.

down in south carolina, with a guitar not sitting in a case and a giging musician prracticing and playing 2-3 times a week, a set of balls last about 2 weeks max.

the same dude uses elixers for about 2 months in the same conditions.

no joke, the balls literally rusted and turned black. the elixers had ware but no rust or serious wear. minor tone dulling.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 9, 2010,
here is the thing I usually use d'addarios .. so i'll continue with those what I meant is more like the way the strings are built them selves.

stainless steel, nickel-plated steel, or pure nickel?

Different surface wrappings that affect playability and tone, such as flat-wound strings or Teflon®-coated strings

which one is more to go for rhythm and lead I'm not fixed to one only.
well its all preference. stainless generally have a very bright tone and are stronger, so a lot of stainless strings are geared for metal players who want a biting searing tone and really abuse thier strings.

stuff like that. its all tone. thicker strings are not only stringer, but give a fatter more punchy tone. thats why SRV used 12-13 size strings.

also, its harder to break thicker strings. for example, thin strings bend easier. without knowing it you may bend one too far (cause its so easy) and bust it. so...move up a guage or so. 1 size makes a difference.
As said before, its personnel preference. I've used both Ernie Ball and D'Addarios, and i by far prefer Ernie Ball. My current guitar came with D'Addarios, which were great, but then they sort of warped on me. Put on a different set and they went bad within a week, but i haven't had that sort of bother with Ernie Ball (last set of them i had on my guitar lasted about 3 months, but i had exams and all at that time so it wasn't played as much)
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I use both Ernie balls and D'addarios and i find the D'addarios last longer.
everybody is just going to rattle of what brand and guage they use, washing your hands before playing and wiping your guitar down afterwards will do more for your string preservation than brand hopping
thats true. clean hands, using stuff like finger easy, and keeping a guitar in a case will pretty much never let strings rust out.
Dean Markley Blue Steels outlast every other string brand I've tried.
o hai I lyk Jim Dunlop stringz cuz I getz them for free.

All jokes aside, I do get them for free and I like them. .10 Heavy Cores, to be exact.
i used to use Earnie ball super slinkey's but ive started to play alot of heavier stuff (drop C) so switched to Diadarios 10's both are good strings to be honest... Get a few packs from ebay etc. as they sell cheap there i get 3 packs of EB's / Diadarios for £10
Quote by ibanezgod1973
everybody is just going to rattle of what brand and guage they use, washing your hands before playing and wiping your guitar down afterwards will do more for your string preservation than brand hopping

+1 ! I do it though hmm, yeah. ^^
well I finished by using d'addarios 10's I had to tighten my tremolo springs but all went well so thanks all!