Ok here's the question I'm a noobie to Guitar my daughter got me a Starcaster for father's day and I found I love playing. Right now this guitar is fine for me but I am addicted and will be wanting more in the future. I have a VERY complete shop for wood and metal working and am wanting to build a kit guitar something along the lines of a GF kit. It seems like a fairly easy to build kit but I also saw what looks like some good deals at Rondo's so the question is build or buy for the next axe? looking to spend 200 to 250 for either one. any ideas on whitch one would be more playable? Any other info / input would be great.
I'd say build, If you have all the ability and the workplace go for it. By building a guitar yourself you might have more of an attachment and would therefore be more encouraged to practice and play. However it's worth nothing as you only just started you might not know what you would want in your "perfect" or "ideal" guitar.
ESP Eclipse (in snow white)
Orange Tiny Terror
I'd say play more, get to where you know what you like about guitars, spend a day or two at guitar center and play all that you can get your hands on.

TBH, you really don't get value for money building a guitar. It's fun working on them, but not to save money. If you get 250 saved up I'd look on craigslist for a good used MIM fender strat. Play it before buying and try it out. You'll get a good quality guitar (if you play it before hand and check for quality) and get to play it before purchasing, something you don't get online or with kits.

Bottom line, if you want the fun of building, go for it, but have a lit of patience. If you want a good quality guitar for the money you put out, Craigslist or Rondo Music (I've played a 300$ strat they have, sounded great and played as good as any MIM fender I've ever played, and I've heard good things on this forum about their other guitars usually.)
You should buy a couple used electrics for $50 or so each. Take then apart (including electronics) and try and put them back togerther. Lots of books at the library, videos on youtube, etc. to help.

They aren't rocket science.

New bodies and necks you buy off the web are not going to be any better than those you can salvage from a used guitar. In fact, unless a Squier, Peavy, etc. neck is bent, etc.....they will probably be better quality because these companies have quality standards.

if you intend to make the neck and body then it is a labor of love. I did it anout 25 years ago and was generally pleased....except with my finishing job. Don't try yourself to get the perfect finish first time around ( get it done by an auto body shop). ..or go for a more 'character' fnish.
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by RoughDraft274
I'd say play more, get to where you know what you like about guitars, spend a day or two at guitar center and play all that you can get your hands on.

TBH, you really don't get value for money building a guitar. It's fun working on them, but not to save money. If you get 250 saved up I'd look on craigslist for a good used MIM fender strat. Play it before buying and try it out. You'll get a good quality guitar (if you play it before hand and check for quality) and get to play it before purchasing, something you don't get online or with kits.

Bottom line, if you want the fun of building, go for it, but have a lit of patience. If you want a good quality guitar for the money you put out, Craigslist or Rondo Music (I've played a 300$ strat they have, sounded great and played as good as any MIM fender I've ever played, and I've heard good things on this forum about their other guitars usually.)

seriously, this ^^
Keeping it heavy since '92.