My hands are really small and unbelievably inflexible. For example, if you take a pattern like this:

x
x

Where, from high to low, the fingers are index, middle, ring pinky, I can't even do this while keeping my fingers at the proper end of the frets. If I move it up one more fret I can make it but from 14 down I can't. If I reverse the middle and ring, forget it. I really need help on this. How do I improve my hand flexibility? I mean, it's absolutely a joke that I can't make this stretch.

Actually, I'm lying. I can make this stretch all the way up to the index on the twelfth fret. But my hand absolutely loses any kind of proper angle and my fingers have to bend every which way to prevent from muting mutes and bending strings out of tune, or even get on the fret for that matter.
Last edited by Eag1e at Jul 9, 2010,
work lower on the fret board. stretching the first finger up another fret was tough for me at first, but it is essential you get those tendons stretched out. try workin lower on the fret board with chromatic scales stretching that first finger. you'll get it eventually
It takes time!!! I am the opposite from you i have really big hands and playing chords / patterns in the 14 and up fret range used to be super dificult but i am finally getting better at it. Like xX Metal Head Xx said play in the lower frets and work on big strecthes. Get John Petruccis first DVD (find it on you tube) and he has some warm up exerciese that he does that are great. Just my 2 cents!
Quote by BOLX2IT
It takes time!!! I am the opposite from you i have really big hands and playing chords / patterns in the 14 and up fret range used to be super dificult but i am finally getting better at it. Like xX Metal Head Xx said play in the lower frets and work on big strecthes. Get John Petruccis first DVD (find it on you tube) and he has some warm up exerciese that he does that are great. Just my 2 cents!

Petrucci's Rock Discipline is actually where I'm getting this from lol
Thats funny, just work with those exercises. I got that DVD about 5 years and i still do them all of the time
Unfortunately it's probably just a case of practicing until your hands adjust and it becomes easier.

If your hands are rediculously small you could consider a shorter scale guitar. I have an Ibanez ORM1 which has a 24" scale length and a lot of stretches I find hard on my MusicMan are more easily achieved on the Ibanez. There's a forum devoted to this topic called shortscale.org I believe.

I feel your pain though, I have smallish hands also. It does get easier.
I guess you just have to get used to it. You can try to stretch before you play your guitar. Its quite simple for me and I have small hands too, (or maybe its just because i have a pretty crappy ibanez micro) lol.

All in all, just try really stretching your fingers before you play and get good posture.
Trust me, it really works