Hi guys, been offered a peavey classic 30 as a trade for the amp and cab in my sig..

just wondered if they are any good?

i've been hunting for something like a hot rod deluxe or ac15/30...
and now i've been offered this,

http://is.gumtree.com/image/big/17092464.jpg

its the newer one by the look of it...

what dya guys think?

genres: punk/rock/indierock?/some heavier hardcore type stuff...
i haven't tried the ht5 but if you're playing in a band I'd consider the classic 30 (assuming it's in good nick). Also keep an eye out for laney vc30s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't

But thats me, I kinda h8 Peavey.

This entire forum is kind of a "Peavey/Bugera" bandwagon tho

so expect a lot of yes

why do you hate peavey?

and davemc, the sale of my amp is for something bigger for a band situation, preferably a combo.. just not much going used in my area at the min..
I'd go for it, not an enormous amount of gain but it takes pedals very well, and sounds really good.
that's what i figured. i'd consider it, then. can you try it first?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what are the cleans like?
if the drive channel is ok/useable, but really nice cleans i'd settle with that,

on the blackstar its more, the drive channel is epic but the cleans are just alright..
Quote by daverichards
why do you hate peavey?

and davemc, the sale of my amp is for something bigger for a band situation, preferably a combo.. just not much going used in my area at the min..

In my opinion you can get a lot more for less

Thats just my opinion tho

Peavey Vypyr < Roland Cube
Peavey Valveking < Bugera V22 (although the VK 112 does cost slightly less than the V22, and you may need a booster for your V22 if your into any kind of metal/hard rock)
Peavey 6505 < used Marshall JCM900/JCM2000 with Tubescreamer (yes, I compared a 6505 to a JCM. Sue me)

So basically if i was on a 100-200 dollar budget, I would rather a Roland Cube than Peavey Vypyr, or 200-500 I would rather a Bugera V22 than a Valveking, or if I was on a 500-1000 budget I would rather a Marshall JCM900 used than a Peavey 6505.

But thats just me. Others will disagree. Greatly.
from what i can remember, both are pretty nice. compared to the classic 30, the cleans on the HRD are say 8 or 9 out of 10, but the drive channels are 0 out of 10. Whereas the classic 30 has cleans that are maybe 7 out of 10, but ditto for the drive (all scores compared to the price range, of course). i'm guessing the classic 30 has less headroom than the hrd, but i've never cranked an hrd.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 9, 2010,
i really like the classic 30. its probably the most versatile tube amp you're going to find for the price and it sounds pretty damn good for whatever you make it do. it cant do some heavier forms of metal/hard rock but slap on some pedals and you've got any genre imaginable covered.
I have one, its a solid amp, it's not on the AC30 level, but I don't know that an AC30 or hot rod deluxe would handle hardcore that well, so the peavey might be the better choice. Try to play each of the amps and see what gives you the sound you want.
i've played a hot rod and obviously liked the cleans...
in lincoln where i live there is only a small branch of musicroom and they stock just the crappy line 6 spiders and one ac30 lol...

the guy would be coming from about 30 miles from my house for the trade so i'm not sure about testing it, is there any differences with the new model/old model?
Quote by WtrPlyr
It has more volume controls than you'd ever need.

(yes it has a master volume)

And don't listen to B.Renegades if you were planning to. The Classic 30's are great amps.

yeh the amps in question by him were geared towards metal and other high gain stuff, i like to play on the majority, stuff with less gain, so cleans would be nice, from what i can see it's a good alternative to something like a hot rod...

so im assuming with the mastervolume i can use it in a student place to practise etc?
Yeah, it might not be ideal but it will work fine. I use a Classic 50 in my bedroom right now. Don't know if the Classic 30 has the same controls, but I have a volume control for the clean channel, a preamp gain control, a power amp gain control and a master volume.
Quote by WtrPlyr
It has more volume controls than you'd ever need.

(yes it has a master volume)

And don't listen to B.Renegades if you were planning to. The Classic 30's are great amps.

i think its a great amp for cleans (despite my brothers opinion)

Ugly as crap, but great clean tone
Quote by daverichards
http://www.cs-showsystems.com/angebote/classic30_lg_XL.jpg

call me a n00b, but i'm not sure what they controls mean apart from the obvious bass mids treble..

Oh hmm, doesn't look like there's a mast volume. You can use the pre and post controls to control the volume and gain of the gain channel. The normal knob controls the volume of the clean channel.
I live in dorms at my school and I've had no problems with volume, even when I've had a couple friends over to jam. Just be considerate about when you're playing. 2AM on a week day generally won't fly, but for during the day, what's the difference between an amp and a loud stereo? (which there are plenty of, too often playing crap music) If you're up in the middle of the night and just HAVE to play, play unplugged.
there's a master volume on the classic 30, if by "master volume" you mean "separate volume and gain controls for the overdrive channel". Pre gain is the gain control and post gain is teh volume control.

If by "master volume" you mean an overall, global volume control which is active across both channels, both of which also have their own volume controls, then no, the classic 30 doesn't have that. also, the clean channel has no gain control, as far as i can remember.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i just checked the peavey site, the 30 doesn't have it.

the 50 might, i haven't tried it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ahh no master volume, dya think this is a big issue when ill be using it for gigs/practise aswell as student flat usage?
It may not have a master volume, but it has a volume for the clean & gain/distortion channels. The pre-gain is the amount of distortion, the post-gain is the volume. No pregain on the clean channel cuz it's not supposed to distort, maybe break up a little when the volume is at-or-close to full. This amp would work fine at bedroom and small gig volumes no probs :0)
cheers man, my only ever tube amp is my little blackstar thats all,
the main thing im missing it clean headroom, it breaks up well too early for my liking.
yeah, if you're after low volume distortion it'll do that on the overdrive channel.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Classic 30 clean channel breaks up around 5ish (with a PRS CE24). It started breaking up around 4 when I plugged a Les Paul with a Burstbucker 3 into it. I thought the HRD had a MUCH better clean tone (to me), but the Peavey had a better overdrive channel. The cleans on the Peavey would probably be better with single coils (actually...they are. I saw an alt/rock band playing with a tele plugged into one). It would probably suit you as long as you get an overdrive or something to boost you into the hardcore territory, but there are better sounding amps in my opinion.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Theyre solid all round amps. Pretty much a master of none though IMO.

There are amps in the price range that have better cleans, but not quite as good distortion. Which id rather personally, then get a nice pedal to cover your distortion needs.

Itll work for what you want though.