Well, I am moving into a small college dorm room in about two months. Sadly, that means me and my 50w All-Tube 3x10 monster are going to have to part ways. I am selling it tonight for $280, so consider that my budget. I am looking for a small, low wattage tube amp. I have all of the pedals listed in my sig, but am currently unsure how many, if any, I am bringing with me to college.

Anyways, I am currently considering three amps. First is the Bugera V5, however, I have read mixed reviews about it. It seems packed full of features, and the built in attenuator is what really caught my attention. My other two considerations are the combo and micro stack versions of the Epiphone Valve Jr.

Opinions, recommendations, etc. are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Gear:
Schecter Revenger 7-String
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
Oh, sorry. I like to play a wide range of stuff, from neo-classic to modern metal. So something versatile. Of course, I have a distortion and overdrive pedal, so I should be able to squeeze a decent metal tone out of basically anything. (I have even gotten a pretty nice Bullet For My Valentine tone through a vintage Super Reverb)
Gear:
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
ehm not biased but the blackstar ht5 can do a nice metal tone, and with ur bad monkey pedal i see, it should do a really nice tone....

however not sure how much they are used in the us...
The cheapest I see new is $399, so I am assuming I could find it in my price range used. However, I really don't know if I want to buy used. All of my gear has been bought used, so I really want to buy something new for once.
Gear:
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
What are we talking here? 5w? 15w? more?

I play a Vox AC15 in my dorm room... its 15w and can get loud.

What you really wanna be looking for is something with a master volume.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
well the ht-5's havent really got any reliability problems or anything, it's just for 5w tube amps, i couldnt find anything better for the drive channel than the blackstar...
alot of them are one channel and don't really give a alot of gain...
I like the idea of a 5w, but honestly I feel like even that can get pretty loud. My 50w currently shakes buildings with the volume knob set to like 12 o'clock. 15w would definitely be too much.
Gear:
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
yeh i use my 5w for a similar use, and it can get too loud for bedroom/apartment use, especiially with the gain cranked, but then again u can get the best tone from the 5w..
I can play my 15W vox really quiet, quiet enough for bedroom use. Trust me.

You play with master volume and channel volume... for OD you crank channel vol and keep the master low, and for clean you do the opposite.

For $280 you aren't going to get a really super sounding tube amp, especially if you plan on playing it at low volumes. If you wanna play with the drive coming from the amp, forget about tubes or 5w for $280... you'd need an attenuator for that
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by Zamorak at Jul 9, 2010,
Ohhh I had not even noticed that Orange amp, and I see it going on ebay for like $375. I will consider breaking my budget for that. If I decide not to, I think I am going to go with the V5 then, just for the attenuator. Thanks for the help.
Gear:
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
Dorm room? Obviously you're in college/univeristy. Have you considered an audio interface for your PC/Mac/Laptop/Macbook and then some good amp modelling software and a nice set of headphones?
The Peavey Revalver can get some awesome tones as well as Amplitude, Guitar Rig is pure arse however.
Plus the software can be found for.. an easily affordable price... at certain... places... Just sayin'
Valve Jr. will be too loud. I can't even play mine in my townhouse without worrying about it. The volume is damn near an on/off switch... It just doesn't do low volume.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Instead of dumping your tube amp why not try saving up $100 and buying a used pocket pod or something similar that you can play with headphones in the dorm and holding on to the big amp? It’s not like a dorm is ever really an ideal place to play, so being a stickler about having a nice little tube amp is a waste of money.
^+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!