Hi guys ^_^

I need a new amp due to the reason that mine sounds like shit and I can only get one stupid tone on it, so things to base the suggestion on please. ^_^

I play metal
I'm going £600 at the most.
Not too loud, I'm only a bedroom player.
I want a valve amp.

Thank you!
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
Blackstar HT-5 is the cheapest way for a decent gain channell on a tube amp.
If you want a better amp, you would either have to get a small orange or fender (not metal) or buy a bigger amp and use an attenuator. A lot of metalheads are fans of the peavey 6505. You might be able to get somebody to make you a boutique >5 watt amp for that money
Hey thanks man ^_^ I've been looking at the HT5, doesn't seem to bad and it's probably my first choice atm, I was gonna buy a Bugera 6262 212 but 120 watts is way too much when I'm limited to my bedroom XD
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm

5 watts wouldn't be good because you'd have too much power-amp breakup if you have to turn it up really loud.

I'm not sure the exchange rate but that would maybe be about $800? You could find a used Peavey 5150/6505? Or maybe a JCM900 or JCM800...

It really depends what kind of metal you play. There is a difference between The Faceless and EyeHateGod you know?

EDIT:

FFS inb4 the watts argument...

OK:

1) the guideline is 100 watts is twice as loud as a 10 watt amp. 400 watts is twice as loud as 40 watts... when at peak power output (I think?). It also really depends on the amps circuitry.

2) if your amp has a master volume, it doesn't make a difference what wattage the amp is. You can turn down the volume and turn up the gain. As opposed to old Marshalls and stuff which only have a volume and you have to turn it all the way up to get distortion.

3) The Bugeras can run at half power, certain models have a half power switch and others you can pull power tubes and rebias (should be done by a pro) to run at 60 watts (which is still hella loud but can sound fuller at slightly lower volumes).

4) For heavy metal br00tz / deathcorezzz and shit like that you want more wattage. Generally that means more clean headroom and that the amp relies heavily on preamp distortion. You can play quiet with a lot of gain. It will still sound better cranked but that doesn't really matter with a 120 watt hi-gain tube head.

EDITx2: I know you're just playing in your room, but if your worried about getting a good metal tone the above is important. Also, if you ever want to jam or play a decent sized gig (without a PA) you'll want at least a decent sized amp so you don't have to worry about "just cutting it" volume wise.
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 9, 2010,
Well your in Britain so no Mesa's. Check your used market for Orange amps, you might be able to track down a good deal. Tunderverb would be best, but it will probably be too expensive. I think all of their amps but the Tiny/Dual Terror would work.

If not, the HT-5 and a OD pedal will work. A lot of people like the 6505, but if you want cleans its lacking.

What type of metal do you play? death, prog, core, black, doom?
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Last edited by fbeckinsale at Jul 9, 2010,
Maybe look at the Bugera 1990? It has a little less gain than the 6260, but has the option of lowering the wattage from 120 to 60. And it's a JCM 900 clone. Right in your price range as well, as they go for $450 USD, you could use the money you save to buy a nice 2x12 or something.

also they now sell the 6505+ 60 watt combo brand new for $600 USD now, which is a great deal. And once again you'll still save a few bills while your at it, and the 6505 is the perfect amp for metal imo.

Older Mesa's would definitely be worth looking at as well
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
Maybe look at the Bugera 1990? It has a little less gain than the 6260, but has the option of lowering the wattage from 120 to 60. And it's a JCM 900 clone. Right in your price range as well, as they go for $450 USD, you could use the money you save to buy a nice 2x12 or something.

also they now sell the 6505+ 60 watt combo brand new for $600 USD now, which is a great deal. And once again you'll still save a few bills while your at it, and the 6505 is the perfect amp for metal imo.

Older Mesa's would definitely be worth looking at as well

Thanks ^_^ so is the 1990 the only Bugera that can go half power?
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm

Quote by Tedward
5 watts wouldn't be good because you'd have too much power-amp breakup.

I'm not sure the exchange rate but that would maybe be about $800? You could find a used Peavey 5150/6505? Or maybe a JCM900 or JCM800...

It really depends what kind of metal you play. There is a difference between The Faceless and EyeHateGod you know?

EDIT:

FFS inb4 the watts argument...

OK:

1) the guideline is 100 watts is twice as loud as a 10 watt amp. 400 watts is twice as loud as 40 watts... when at peak power output (I think?). It also really depends on the amps circuitry.

2) if your amp has a master volume, it doesn't make a difference what wattage the amp is. You can turn down the volume and turn up the gain. As opposed to old Marshalls and stuff which only have a volume and you have to turn it all the way up to get distortion.

3) The Bugeras can run at half power, certain models have a half power switch and others you can pull power tubes and rebias (should be done by a pro) to run at 60 watts (which is still hella loud but can sound fuller at slightly lower volumes).

4) For heavy metal br00tz / deathcorezzz and shit like that you want more wattage. Generally that means more clean headroom and that the amp relies heavily on preamp distortion. You can play quiet with a lot of gain. It will still sound better cranked but that doesn't really matter with a 120 watt hi-gain tube head.

So the Bugera is loud but I can go half power and it will be alot quieter? Because I watched a video of youtube with all the features and the sound is amazing, it just seemed ridiculously loud though, I'm really crap with sound technology so sorry in advance. ^_^
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm

as far as I know the 1990 is the only bugera that can be used at different wattages, but don't quote me on that. and yes it will be a bit quieter. I have been told though that the 120 watt setting sounds a lot better than the 60 watt setting. But at the same time, no good tube amp is going to sound at it's best until it's cranked.
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 9, 2010,
i would totally be looking at the jet city jca50 when it comes out, with that budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
isn't it meant to be fairly close to the slo overdrive channel? I mean i know the 20 watter is a bit lower gain (from the sounds of clips might do it with a boost, but i'm guessing there are still better options), but i think the 50 and 100 are meant to have a fair amount of gain. I haven't tried them, but the soldano avenger i tried could do br00tz no problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
interesting. i just wish the front grills on the jet city amps weren't so dumb looking. that probably annoys me more than anything else, makes it look like a toy. i've never played one before but heard they are good for cleans and blues, but not so much for high gain stuff. I mean I don't really play "br00tz" so to speak, but I definitely play heavier music.
yeah, i'm not super-enamoured with the looks either. I mean, that doesn't matter if it sounds good enough (and from all I'm hearing they're probably the best reasonably-priced amp out), and I normally like colourful amps, but jet city has it all wrong in the cosmetics department. As you say, they look a bit childish or something. EDIT: i think that's probably the 20 watter you're talking about. Though cathbard recorded some clips through his with a boost and it sounded pretty metal to me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Jet City JCA100 or JCA50 when it come out can both do high gain and metal. They are based on the Soldano Avenger which is in turn a striped down lead channel only SLO100. I'm considering saving for the 50 myself.

The JCA20 is based on the Soldano Atomic 16 iirc, lower gain then the 50/100 but can get into pretty thrashy territory with the right setup.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jul 9, 2010,
BTW has anyone had any experience with blackstars? I'm starting to lean towards them ^_^
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm