so I've been aware of the fact that truss rods can run out of turns or adjustment (i.e. turned all the way to one direction so that i cannot be turned anymore for that adjustment)

how common is this problem?? I rarely heard of such problems until recently when I was in market for some used guitars, and some people who bought used guitars online complained that their new-old guitars had truss rod that was turned all the way... so basically rods that ran out of juice;

this just scares the sh*t out of me cause I do buy used gears online from time to time... and how seriously do you have to screw up the neck to even need to turn the truss rod that much?
Guitars:
* Custom "does-it-all" Strat
*'12 James Tyler Studio Elite HD Burning Water (HSH)
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
Sometimes, it's just that the guitar needs a shim in the neck pocket (if it is a bolt on that is)... but the person who tried to fix whatever issue it was, didn't consider that.

So if you ever get this issue, see if it's just that the neck pocket needs a shim or two...
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
Sometimes, it's just that the guitar needs a shim in the neck pocket (if it is a bolt on that is)... but the person who tried to fix whatever issue it was, didn't consider that.

So if you ever get this issue, see if it's just that the neck pocket needs a shim or two...

ok... so you are saying that not having a shim when the guitar needs it can cause some kind of problem in the truss rod???

sorry I just can't connect what you told me to the truss rod problem
Guitars:
* Custom "does-it-all" Strat
*'12 James Tyler Studio Elite HD Burning Water (HSH)
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
I've run into the problem on both used AND new guitars. In both cases the neck was not able to achieve enough relief with the rod fully loosened. On one I can get the proper relief if I use 11's but not with my preferred 10's. The other I leveled the frets with the neck VERY slightly back bowed....this created built in relief in regards to the fret tops themselves.

And yes, a neck shims and truss rods are NOT related. Truss rods are used to adjust neck releif. Shims are used when you run out of adjustment with the bridge when setting action.