Page 1 of 2
I'm more of a drummer, but I do like to play guitar with my bro.

When we do jam, I mostly just use an acoustic guitar, however, and I'm not satisfied with it

Whats the cheapest POSSIBLE amplifier/guitar situation to get the closest thing POSSIBLE to AC/DC tone

I want to spend as little as possibly, seriously. I want to put most of my funds into drumming. I'm talking like 150 max.

Oh, and I'm really short, so a 3/4 scale guitar preferably

(im so jealous because im like 5 feet and my brother towers over me at 6 feet )
With that budget it might be hard to find stuff at all.

Maybe you can find a used Vox VT15 or Marshall Lead 12 combo and some kind of cheap guitar with humbuckers.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
With that budget it might be hard to find stuff at all.

Maybe you can find a used Vox VT15 or Marshall Lead 12 combo and some kind of cheap guitar with humbuckers.

what do you mean by cheap guitar with humbuckers? Like any humbucker guitar, or just certain brands?
you'll want an sg copy, for as cheap as you can find it. passive humbuckers and a mahogany body is pretty much what you'll need guitarwise, and angus uses an sg pretty much all the time. you could scout ebay or whatever for a cheap knockoff brand.

angus is only about 5 foot 3 anyway, so an sg would probably suit your stature.

for the amp, theres not an awful lot you could get, when your budget is for both guitar AND amp.

maybe, much as i hate to say it, marshall mg-15? i can actually pull some nice tones out of mine, when you have the gain on about 4/5, and cut the treble a bit, boosting bass and lowering the contour.

aside from that, you could look at one of those pocket amps, like the danelectro honeytone, or an orange crush?
Quote by Stud_Muffin
you'll want an sg copy, for as cheap as you can find it. passive humbuckers and a mahogany body is pretty much what you'll need guitarwise, and angus uses an sg pretty much all the time. you could scout ebay or whatever for a cheap knockoff brand.

angus is only about 5 foot 3 anyway, so an sg would probably suit your stature.

for the amp, theres not an awful lot you could get, when your budget is for both guitar AND amp.

maybe, much as i hate to say it, marshall mg-15? i can actually pull some nice tones out of mine, when you have the gain on about 4/5, and cut the treble a bit, boosting bass and lowering the contour.

aside from that, you could look at one of those pocket amps, like the danelectro honeytone, or an orange crush?

what do you mean, you "hate to say it"?

Me and my brother tried an MG at guitar center a while back, there not bad...
Quote by LesPaulGuy1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-and-All-Access-Amp-Pack-774716-i1441800.gc

this has every thing that you would need, except it's $269.00. $150 USD would barely get you the guitar. And MG's have a (deserved) horrible reputation here on UG.

Theres gotta be some kind of one trick pony guitar set up for 150 that can get somewhat close to AC/DC tones and only AC/DC tones

EDIT: Oh, but your Vypyr 15 is awesome? The Plexi channel on that thing sounds nothing like a Plexi to me, and all the clean channels REALLY suck it.

MG > Vypyr any day
Last edited by Yngwie_Owns at Jul 9, 2010,
I personally find the Vypyr 15's cleans to be pretty damn good, especially compared to a Marshall MG (even the half-stack version is bad.) Vypyr's destroy MG's and L6 Spiders, I've tried them all.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Epiphone sg.
Jet city 20 watt combo.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by RocknRory
I personally find the Vypyr 15's cleans to be pretty damn good, especially compared to a Marshall MG (even the half-stack version is bad.) Vypyr's destroy MG's and L6 Spiders, I've tried them all.

My brother wasn't lying

I can understand why you may think that, but the MG15 is just all around a better amplifier to me. The Vypyr is like a freaking toy. It takes years to get a good tone.

With the MG its just plug it, EQ, pick channel, play.
First of all my advice is generally not to get a Starter Pack, also I wouldn't not recommend an Epiphone SG Special, I have one myself and it sucks.

Maybe you should look for a low-end Ibanez model or something, I'm not an expert on good (beginners) guitars though.

EDIT: And acting like an ignorant **** won't help you getting good recommendations.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
First of all my advice is generally not to get a Starter Pack, also I wouldn't not recommend an Epiphone SG Special, I have one myself and it sucks.

Maybe you should look for a low-end Ibanez model or something, I'm not an expert on good (beginners) guitars though.

EDIT: And acting like an ignorant **** won't help you getting good recommendations.

how am I acting ignorant? Hes the one acting like a child
Trust me when I say, regardless of how you feel about it, dont put the letters M and G anywhere close together around here(if you seriously want to get good advice from the wealth of knowledge on here!) And for your question, all you really need for now is a halfway decent hardtail guitar with HB's and an amp that has decent OD to get AC/DC tones, like for instance the VYPYR 30 thats only 99 bucks right now at GC
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Last edited by 1ArmyGuitar at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by WtrPlyr
reported for trolling

Someone disagreeing with your opinion is not trolling. Your opinion is not fact.

edit: TS , buy a vox valvetronix if you can, they can do some classic rock tones pretty well
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by Zoot Allures
Someone disagreeing with your opinion is not trolling. Your opinion is not fact.

edit: TS , buy a vox valvetronix if you can, they can do some classic rock tones pretty well

What word in the sentence: 'reported for trolling' makes you think I am reporting him for disagreeing with me. He was obviously provoking things. That's what I reported him for.
TS, take onboard the advice in this thread. flaming people does not go down well on this site, ask your brother.

it might seem that people are trying to annoy you, or to make you look stupid, but at the end of the day, people who have been here a while do kinda know what is what, on this site.

just saying y'know, people are genuinely trying to help, so just listen to their advice, and ignore the comments that you see as flaming you.

im only trying to help you, as someone who's been here a while, that some advice you need to just ignore, and just focus on the positive. if you do that, and offer good advice yourself, and not have a go at people who disagree, you'll do well on this site.
Quote by WtrPlyr
What word in the sentence: 'reported for trolling' makes you think I am reporting him for disagreeing with me. He was obviously provoking things. That's what I reported him for.

Not really. Considering 'your obviously lying' would be the kind of comment seen in threads all the time when someone says they like an MG, or the even more elitist sounding 'you have no ear for tone' (as if tone of guitar was something to be 'learnt' like having an ear for pitch. ).

Also i agree with him about MGs about a plug and play amp. I've known a lot of people who say the exact same thing, if you just want to sit down and play then some people don't wanna tweak through loads of effects and settings. This is also the reason that even if i was a millionaire i'd not buy an axe fx or a similar high end modeller, it's just too much hassle and as i said, i'm not the only one who thinks this. TS seems to hold this same view so at least accept that.
edit: However, looking back on it , ts has a really low budget, so if he could find anything half decent in that price range then maybe a comprimise is in order just for the sake of getting a tone he likes :/ Thing is, you can't get that close to AC/DC with so little money.

edit2: If anyones trolling it's some of the posts in this thread not by TS... Someone told him to buy a Jet city 20 watt combo, it's not even in his stated price range
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 9, 2010,
The Peavey Vypyr is the best amp for getting an AC/DC tone on a low budget. The "Plexi" channel gets great AC/DC-esque tones. In my opinion, that is the best you can get from a solid state amp.

As for your guitar, an Epiphone SG would be a good choice. If you can find a used Epiphone G-400, that would be great. Otherwise, the SG Special is a good start.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by TMF128
The Peavey Vypyr is the best amp for getting an AC/DC tone on a low budget. The "Plexi" channel gets great AC/DC-esque tones. In my opinion, that is the best you can get from a solid state amp.

As for your guitar, an Epiphone SG would be a good choice. If you can find a used Epiphone G-400, that would be great. Otherwise, the SG Special is a good start.

The Axe-FX says no.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
The Axe-FX says no.

;haha
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I love you zoot

I told my bro you the were the coolest one on this site, and I knew I was telling the truth

He's out for a jog right now, he'll be on in about 10 minutes

Expect a friend request from both of us
Quote by Zoot Allures
bladiebla

I don't agree, I found him abusive so I reported him, now let the mods take care of it. If they agree with me they'll warn him or something, if they don't, I don't really care.

We can argue about this for days but that doesn't really have a point.
Quote by WtrPlyr

I don't agree, I found him abusive so I reported him, now let the mods take care of it. If they agree with me they'll warn him or something, if they don't, I don't really care.

We can argue about this for days but that doesn't really have a point.

at least im not a snitch
Quote by Yngwie_Owns
how am I acting ignorant? Hes the one acting like a child

First off, troll. In the terrible event that you're not some troll and you actually are that thick--

You're not acting ignorant?

You're the one coming to this forum asking us to do your research for you. You're the one coming here expecting for us to come up with a decent guitar/amp combo under impossible odds ($150 for a decent anything is already insane, let alone to find you a guitar AND amp). You're the one coming here in search of knowledgeable people to help you out, except when one of these more knowledgeable people come along to help you, you refute anything they have to say despite your obvious lack of gear experience and knowledge. You then accuse him of lying, and start coarcing into a flame war which "you WILL win" (which for the record is the most retarded showmanship of epeen I've ever read).

How can anyone be expected to put up with you under those circumstances?

If you are so against a suggestion by someone with more experience, why are you even here? Take your bros word and follow your ear and spend your money on a Marshall.

In any event...

I back what WtrPlyr said. Peavey Vypyr 15 has the second-best cleans of any cheap practice modelling amp I've ever heard, behind the Cube. It also has the best Plexi modelling of any modelling amp I've ever heard. Specifically, I get the best tones when setting the amp to "Plexi", clean channel. Bass at noon, Mids at 2:00, Treble at 11:30. Then use the Tube Screamer effect to adjust overdrive, both TS controls at noon. Pre-Amp and Post-Amp set to taste. More convincing than the "Plexi" overdrive channel for an AC/DC tone. Moderate crunch, can lighten it up by rolling back guitar volume.

Similarly, Tube Screamer on the Brit clean channel gets you there with a bit more treble.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by JesusCrisp
The Axe-FX says no.

I should have said "from a cheap solid state amp."

My bad
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Seref
I back what WtrPlyr said. Peavey Vypyr 15 has the second-best cleans of any cheap practice modelling amp I've ever heard, behind the Cube. It also has the best Plexi modelling of any modelling amp I've ever heard. Specifically, I get the best tones when setting the amp to "Plexi", clean channel. Then use the Tube Screamer effect to adjust overdrive. More convincing than the "Plexi" overdrive channel for an AC/DC tone.

Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Cheap modelling amps -_-

The guy is asking us to find him gear for $150. I doubt he's ever even heard of Axe-FX or knows what a preamp does.
Quote by Seref
Cheap modelling amps -_-

The guy is asking us to find him gear for $150. I doubt he's ever even heard of Axe-FX or knows what a preamp does.

I was just joking dude.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Page 1 of 2