No, it is an alright amp for practice, but for gigs I would buy something else.

What's your budget and what music do you play?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Just gonna let you know Marshall MG's are generally hated here on UG. You honestly can get MUCH better tone for the same price.

But to answer your question, even 100w Solid State will cover basically any gig. If the gig for some reason is too big (I doubt your playing arena sized gigs) then you can just mic it. 100w will cover anything.

But man, you can get some way better tones for $600.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
It's not good. It's an overpowered piece of crap, no offense. The MG4 is only a slight improvement for the MG series, but they still don't sound that great.

Also, any wattage amp can play any size of show as long as it's mic'd (which is what most professional guitarists do)

For $600 you can do MUCH better. Maybe check out the Peavey 6505+ 112.

Also:
What is your max budget
What style do you play
etc.
Even tho I like MGs, they are more for small practice amps. For 600 dollars, I would get..

Peavey Valveking
Peavey 6505
Bugera 1990
Randall RX combo (if your into Dimebag type tones)
Peavey Vypyr 100 (if you want modelling and alot of different tones) + Sanpera II
Bugera V55 if your into cleans
Jet City Half Stack
used DSL401 Combo
alright thanks, and no i'm talking about like house shows and actually some shows at chain reaction in anaheim...i play the music that all of you hate, hardcore (a day to remember, the devil wears prada, suicide silence, whitechapel, chelsea grin, carnifex, etc.) I don't really have a budget because what i'm planning on doing is getting the best possible amp and then not buying another one for a while so i'm gonna need the best amp no price range!! (okay maybe under $3,000) ahaha
Yeah there are a ton of new/used combos and half stacks you can snag for less than $600. and I played a 2x12 valveking at a ton of shows with no volume problems.

just do a search at GC (they sell used online too) or check your local craigslist.
Quote by alex_baeza
alright thanks, and no i'm talking about like house shows and actually some shows at chain reaction in anaheim...i play the music that all of you hate, hardcore (a day to remember, the devil wears prada, suicide silence, whitechapel, chelsea grin, carnifex, etc.) I don't really have a budget because what i'm planning on doing is getting the best possible amp and then not buying another one for a while so i'm gonna need the best amp no price range!! (okay maybe under $3,000) ahaha

Well damn. When I saw what bands you listed I was going to say definitely get the 6505+ 112 combo, but then if you can spend over $2000, there may be better options.

Actually, consider getting a 6505 head, and a cab of your choice and you should be set.

But if you really want to go deep, consider a Mesa Boogie Roadster. 4 channels, and it has great cleans and even better high gain.

There's also Engl, Fryette, Orange, Bogner, etc.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 9, 2010,
appalling
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jak Archer
No, it is an alright amp for practice, but for gigs I would buy something else.

A $600 100 watt half stack is 'an alright amp for practice?'

Quote by Dave_Mc
appalling

I believe its spelled 'appauling' but either way I agree.

Edit: Wow, I'm wrong... I'm usually pretty good with spelling.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jul 9, 2010,
there is almost no reason why anyone needs a half stack actually. besides desire or want....but really, no. i mean unless your playing really big venues. and even then, mic'ing it is still nessesary to get sound all around the room.

so unless your doing some serious gigs, a 100 watt half stack is overkill. i mean teh edge from us often plays stadiums with miced VOX AC-30s. dudes play gigs with Dr. Z amps. tehy costs thousands and most of them are 50 watts or under.

quality not quantity. a big amp doesnt mean better, it just means you can hear the crappy sound.

if your worried about putting out sound, anything over 30 watts in a 2x12 will put out a ton of sound. my roommate plays gigs for 200 people in packed bars with a hot rod, 40 watt 1x12. most of the time its too loud. not even close to maxed.

if anything, a smaller amp can sound better, because you drive the tubes and get great crunch. i would rather have a 20 watt tube cranked than a 100 watt on 1.

in fact, i would rather have my bugera v22 than the amp you listed. 1 because mgs are not that great, 2, because my bugera is a tube and has a lot more natural sounding distortion.

personally, i would but a 1000 dollar 20-30 watt amp, and about a 100-200 dollar instrument mic if it needsto be run through a PA. and your set forever.
If you can spend that much money I'd recommend getting a quality cabinet (412 or 212, whichever you want) from Mills Acoustics, Orange, Mesa etc.

For an amp head for those bands a Peavey 6505/6505+ head would be good. A dual rectifier or a roadster would be a lot more money but would do the job well. Bogner Uberschall's kick some major ass, you can search ebay or whatever and find one for $1500-2000 used. Sometimes cheaper.

Craigslist is your friend and you can get some insane deals if you search for a while in your city and other cities around you.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
^^ do all those guys using dr zs or the edge play anything requiring modern high gain tones? because, y'know, a 100 watt halfstack is fairly useful for that type of tone.

Though i agree wholeheartedly that you shouldn't buy a halfstack unless you can afford a good one.

Quote by tubetime86

I believe its spelled 'appauling' but either way I agree.

Edit: Wow, I'm wrong... I'm usually pretty good with spelling.

yeah i think everyone named paul might be a bit annoyed if they spelt it your way
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 to Dave. You want headroom when playing metal or else everything will mush out and mud up.

TS, I recommend a used 5150/6505 head and a used Boogie/Orange/Mills/Bogner, etc. cab w/V30s along with an Ibanez TS7 for a boost. If you want to spend more on the head, something like a used Soldano HR50+/100+ would work nicely.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Anything but that! No seriously though nearly every guitarist I know in my area has one of those and I just don't think they sound good at all at any sort of gig volume.
i think the no stacks warning is fine when dealing with questions like this.

it's like when you're little your parents are like never ever talk to strangers because they will kill you and eat you.

but then you grow up and they is like well some strangers are ok.

and then later it's like man up and take care of your own damn self, we're done here.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
are you saying when a guy is just starting out, we should tell him not to buy an MG half stack?

ok ill give you that. metal requires a bigger higher gain amp generally. most high gain amps are atleast 30-50 watts for a good one....like a 6505 combo or something. arent they 50?
Quote by ikey_
are you saying when a guy is just starting out, we should tell him not to buy an MG half stack?

ok ill give you that. metal requires a bigger higher gain amp generally. most high gain amps are atleast 30-50 watts for a good one....like a 6505 combo or something. arent they 50?

no I'm saying eventually you'll know enough to pick the right tool for the job. That tool isn't always a half stack. Sometimes it is.

I mean the standard for a super ridonculous high gain head is 100watts.

50W is ample, the MG is a total piece of crap. If you are on a budget you can often pick up used JCM900s pretty cheap. A 6505 is probably the right tool for the job on a budget, they can be picked up used pretty cheap too.

I don't know why you'd think everybody here hates hardcore, sometimes it seems like that's all anybody plays on this forum.

But seriously, MGs sound really really bad. You could pay half as much and get twice the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it ebbs and flows. man. sometimes it's all metal all the time. then it's 5 watt head for metal. then it's i wanna play blues. then it's metal time. it's all good. from 8 months on this forum i've been able to get recs for everything.

Quote by AcousticMirror
i think the no stacks warning is fine when dealing with questions like this.

it's like when you're little your parents are like never ever talk to strangers because they will kill you and eat you.

but then you grow up and they is like well some strangers are ok.

and then later it's like man up and take care of your own damn self, we're done here.

hahahahaha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?