i am searching for a good string company to use for my electric my old strings (ernie ball coated/reinforced super slinkys) are total shit!
i was just playing like normal, i did a few hammer ons and some string bending with my high E string then i used my tremolo arm and when i let go of my tremolo ard the string snapped at the ball end they had only been on for about 2 months

im using Dunlop .10's now...........anybody know a really strong string? GHS??
d'addario are pretty good, i prefer ernie ball's more
Quote by Y00p

I'm sorry, but 'only 2 months'?

Still, I use EB's myself and have no problems at all. It snapping at the ball end may indicate one faulty string, but I've never broken a string since I'm using Ernie Ball's. What guitar is this, or better yet, what bridge? Has it happened before?

same here, i change mine every month at a minimum
Last edited by britishsligean at Jul 9, 2010,

I'm sorry, but 'only 2 months'?

Still, I use EB's myself and have no problems at all. It snapping at the ball end may indicate one faulty string, but I've never broken a string since I'm using Ernie Ball's. What guitar is this, or better yet, what bridge? Has it happened before?
I use Ernie Ball's and I've never had a problem with them, but if you need another brand I'd recommend Dean Markley Blue Steel, they're pretty good too!
2 months is a really long life for a set of strings. I usually change mine every 3-4 weeks, depending on how they're holding up and how they sound.

I used to use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, but changed to D'Addario 10's about 4 years ago. They've never given me any problems, and I think they sound great.

Strings are a personal preference. Try some different brands out, see what you like. But don't expect them to last 2+months and still be in great shape...
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Sometimes strings just snap at the ball end, it happened to me once too, with a D'Addario set. Anyway, I use Galli strings and I never had a problem with this brand, they also make so called pro-coated ones. I can only recommend them.
Like Y00p said it could've been a bad string. I've been playing the same normal cheapass ghs 9-42 strings for over half a year and I have a floyd rose that I use from time to time, and I have yet to break a string.
The only string I've ever had to change because it broke was a D'Addario. It only lasted about 3 weeks before it snapped. Never had a problem with Ernie Balls or the Elixirs I have on my RG, and I usually only change them every 3 months or so (my guitars get a lot of rotation, although I probably should change them more often).
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
at least your strings dont start rusting a day after you just put them on
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
2 months is a really long life for a set of strings. I usually change mine every 3-4 weeks, depending on how they're holding up and how they sound.

I used to use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, but changed to D'Addario 10's about 4 years ago. They've never given me any problems, and I think they sound great.

Strings are a personal preference. Try some different brands out, see what you like. But don't expect them to last 2+months and still be in great shape...

3-4 WEEKS??!?!?! i havent changed strings on my strat since 2 YEARS ago, and they are just now showing age.
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Quote by 3hta_bryce
3-4 WEEKS??!?!?! i havent changed strings on my strat since 2 YEARS ago, and they are just now showing age.

Obvious troll is being obvious.
Two months ago a tech put a set of cheap D’Addarios on my guitar and they’re still playing like a dream. Which is funny, because I stopped using them about twelve years ago because they were awful at the time. I’m also quite pleased with the Slinkies I’ve been using on my baritone.
Quote by 3hta_bryce

Then you can continue being a basement musician, and us real working professionals will change them every few weeks since we actually make them wear.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
I don't think the brand really matters... I think there's just "bad strings" sometimes. Because everyone say "Oh, I use X brand, and it never breaks", while at the same time other people say that the same X brand breaks all the time with them.

Also, it's likely that you did something to make them break. Even if it's not intentional, most problems come from user error.

I personally use D'Addario's, and can't see ever using anything else... If you like the strings you use, keep using them. I would only suggest changing brands if you don't like the feel/sound of them, not because they broke once or twice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i really love the d'addario pro steel strings, it's the only thing i use and my local music stores stopped having them since they are not really a popular item so they just have the crappy nickelwound ones and other things, but that doesn't stop me, i shop for them online
it's funny how some people can play with anything you give them but i really prefer prosteel over anything else
also i'd like to mention that i have never broke a string while playing (except for tuning the guitar my first months of guitar playing)
and i tried ghs, d'addario every flavour of .11 and .10, rotosound, elixir and nothing works better for me than the prosteels
Dr strings are great since they last me a good two weeks of heavy gigging and practice.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Elixir's are fantastic but quite expensive, so if you're gigging or generally playing a lot and change the strings frequently the expense will amount.
dude, try Elixir strings.They last about 6 months, sound great everytime and stay in tune very well
Quote by mikeiff
I use Ernie Ball's and I've never had a problem with them, but if you need another brand I'd recommend Dean Markley Blue Steel, they're pretty good too!

+1 for Dean Markley Blue Steels, absolutely amazing strings
I use elixir steels on all of my electrics and they last for a very long time when i'm not gigging (i change strings before every gig) and they keep their tone quite well even though they can be quite expensive (unless you buy online). 2 months is an awfully long time to not change strings, you should be changing them at least every month at the longest
Wow, people who change the strings every 3-4 weeks? WOW, I play a show about every month or so, and play up to 2 hours a day EVERYDAY, and MY strings last me about 6 months, with absolutly no fading in the tone.
I only use d'ddario 12-52's but still.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I don't know man. I just switched from D'Addario regular 9's to the Ernie Ball RPS 9's and, playing the same amount per week (give or take an hour), have noticed a drastic improvement in the life of the strings (from about one week with D'Addario to around 1.5-2 weeks with EBs). I think if you want a cheap no frills good string I'd go D'Addario as I believe they last longer and feel better than regular EBs. If you want to spend more, I love the EB RPS.
Elixir and Pyramid are excellent long life strings
Pyramid strings are also easier to bend
Dr strings are nice on frets
No experience with D'Addarios

I don't really like Ernie Balls because they get dull quickly. Just Remember that the more expensive strings may last longer so overall costs are the same.

I use Pyramids
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by Tango616
Wow, people who change the strings every 3-4 weeks? WOW, I play a show about every month or so, and play up to 2 hours a day EVERYDAY, and MY strings last me about 6 months, with absolutly no fading in the tone.
I only use d'ddario 12-52's but still.

That is prolly because you grow used to it, the quality doesnt change overnight you know. I used to think that ppl who change strings regularely are a bit paranoid, but you really notice a change in quality when you put new strings on, but I do think it depends on what you play, if you just play singer songwriter music/chords I dont think I would notice alot of difference, but now that I play quite a lot of blues/jazz music the change is remarkable, new strings have a vibrant lively sound to them.
After trying every brand under the sun, I prefer Dr's and Kerly's. I know a pro jazz player that changes his strings every Saturday morning like a ritual.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Elixir are made of stainless-steel, which is not good for your guitar. Your frets wear out faster, and they wear grooves in the bridge-saddles. I use D'Addario. Good price, great quality.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
If a string breaks at the ball end, especially with a vibrato bridge, it's usually a sign that the guitar isn't set up properly, it wasn't restrung corectly or you have just plain abused it badly. No string, even cheap ones and let alone coated ones, will snap unless they're unbelievably old and rusty or the guitar isn't set up right, etc.

For what it's worht I use the EB titanium coated strings all the time, I find they actually last longer than any other brand. One of my guitars has had the same et of regular EB strings on it for over two years now, still plays perfectly. In fact the only time I've ever had an Ernie Ball string break was when I was stupid enough to try out a Stetsbar which eats through strings like nobody's business (it features a knife edge rubbing against the string - yeah, great design!). The only other strings I've ever broken have been the stock D'Addarios that have come on my LTD guitars.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've honestly never had an Ernie Ball break on me, but all 4 times I got them(one set of Super Slinkies, three sets of Regular Slinkies) there were kinks in either the high E and B strings...=/ I like D'Addario XLs, personally, but the one time I DID break a string it was with one of those(albeit I didn't know how often you were supposed to change your strings at the time, the string was 4 months old, it was a .09 high E and I hit it rather hard). Try going up a gauge, maybe?
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
i like the feel and sound i get from rotosound strings.. ill be sticking with them
Not to totally hijack the thread, but do you think I should change the stock strings that came with my squire guitar?
Set-Up
Squire Special Stratocaster
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
^You should give the user that just posted some useful advice.
Quote by ComicStix
Not to totally hijack the thread, but do you think I should change the stock strings that came with my squire guitar?

I'd say yes, it's probably been in the warehouse for a while unless you ordered it from Fender themselves or bought a floor model. =P My Dean was a '07 model, they had the factory strings on it when I got it(late July/early August '09), and I actually got rust on my fingers from playing anything above the D string. o_o
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
My ernie ball super slinkys are great, I had them on for almost 2 years until I replaced them
Dempseys68's Chord
e|0
B|5
G|0
D|5
A|0
E|5 Only Gingers and Dempsey can use!
Oh Gingonia Oh Gingonia, We pledge our orangeness to thee. We are so Frickin' white like candles in the night
Oh Gingonia Oh Gingonia We pledge our SPF Ging to thee
IMO elixers are the best, but since I don't have the money to drop almost 15 bucks every time I wanna change strings (2 guitars, each changed once a month, well over 200 bucks a year), I use DR Tightwounds. For me, they are the best strings out there for the price.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
ernie balls are in my opinion THE best strings ever!! i have tried others but have used only EB for the last 3 years. i use beefy slinkys (11's) and think that they are possibly the best strings available!! but every1 has a different opinion and thats just mine
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.