wow. You have alien-like fingers. Lucky for you, when it comes to playing guitar, this is a GREAT thing.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Yeah, I have the same problem, when I play to mucho bar chords, my thumb hurts a lot, and I have to take the bar off a little, I thought it was beacause of lack of strength in my hand, but i've been playing for like 3 years now... so maybe i'm doing it wrong

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

About right but bring your thumb up. If the guitar wasn't there, your thumb and first finger would/should be meeting at the tips.
Quote by sstony
And you got some long ass fingers

This.

Looks pretty good to me. Maybe you're just putting too much stress on your thumb by pushing too hard.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Bring the guitar neck upwards, and your elbow outwards, so that your wrist is as close as possible to being straight. Then relax a bunch, your hand looks so tense.
As a guitar instructor, I'd say you're doing a fine job with your finger positioning. What you're experiencing is fairly normal - it's why a lot of guys use capos. If I play an entire song using barre chords, my hand is wiped out for a few minutes.
Thanks guys, so I should move my thumb up? Yeah, my fingers look very long because I am so skinny=)
What I did first learning barre chords to reduce the stress on my fingers was putting my thumb parrallel to the neck, so it's like pointing at the head.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
This is totally OT, but your pictures made barre chords click for me.... lol... thank you!!! I never saw someone with really bony hands in position and I never knew what they meant by the bony part of the hand... and to add what the other ppl have said above I totally wish I had your pinky lmao
Keep the fingers where they are, but push your wrist out more. When I play barre chords, my wrist is at about a 90 degree angle from the rest of my arm. I have to do it that way, because I also have very long fingers (but not quite as long as yours, lol). It'll relieve the pressure on your thumb and lift your fingers a little bit, which should give you more room to cram those things into position.

EDIT: Oh, and let your thumb go towards the headstock. Us long-fingered folk actually have an advantage here - my thumb is usually about 2-3 inches closer to the headstock than my index finger, and this provides a LOT of leverage.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jul 9, 2010,
Unlock your pinky.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by Volta_91
Unlock your pinky.

That is very very hard. I have tried it several times.
Quote by i_don't_know
Keep the fingers where they are, but push your wrist out more. When I play barre chords, my wrist is at about a 90 degree angle from the rest of my arm. I have to do it that way, because I also have very long fingers (but not quite as long as yours, lol). It'll relieve the pressure on your thumb and lift your fingers a little bit, which should give you more room to cram those things into position.

EDIT: Oh, and let your thumb go towards the headstock. Us long-fingered folk actually have an advantage here - my thumb is usually about 2-3 inches closer to the headstock than my index finger, and this provides a LOT of leverage.

This is, not to be a a dick, ill-informed advice. This forces the small muscles of your hand to do all the work, thereby increasing tension, AND it is how players develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The bones that make up the base of the hand, carpals, have tendons running through them, and when you crook your wrist at angles and then move your fingers, the tendons get inflamed and pissed at you.
Playing in the classical position will solve problems. I hated it at first. Meaning the first 9 or 10 years of my playing. But my most recent instructor made it make sense, and now I'm conscious of my wrist all the time; it has definitely made a positive difference.
Quote by TimboSlice
This is, not to be a a dick, ill-informed advice. This forces the small muscles of your hand to do all the work, thereby increasing tension, AND it is how players develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The bones that make up the base of the hand, carpals, have tendons running through them, and when you crook your wrist at angles and then move your fingers, the tendons get inflamed and pissed at you.
Playing in the classical position will solve problems. I hated it at first. Meaning the first 9 or 10 years of my playing. But my most recent instructor made it make sense, and now I'm conscious of my wrist all the time; it has definitely made a positive difference.

Actually, I just checked my form. Thanks for calling me out on that, because as it turns out I actually do push out my elbow to compensate. It is important for his wrist to be at a better angle, though. He's just gotta adjust the rest of his arm with it to prevent his wrist from going at weird angles. As it is now, all of the force is on his thumb, which is not good. He needs to create the right amount of leverage, rather than just forcing his fingers down.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.