Has anyone gotten their tube combo amp split into a head a 2x12 cab? i want to know how much it cost. thinking about helping my friend by a 5150 combo and getting it split so i can take the cab and he takes the head.
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
you have two choices:

remove the speaker from the cab and buy/build it another cab. (thus leaving a "head" with more wood under it)

cut in the middle of the cab to get a head and a cabinet.

dont forget to unplug the speaker pl before doing any of that.
Quote by domiel
you have two choices:

remove the speaker from the cab and buy/build it another cab. (thus leaving a "head" with more wood under it)

cut in the middle of the cab to get a head and a cabinet.

dont forget to unplug the speaker pl before doing any of that.

yeah. you can get combo amps professionally split at guitar shops. i just want to know how much it costs.
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
if you know you can do it at a pro shop, then why not ask the shop how much it costs?

that'll give you a much better answer than asking a bunch of guys in a customizing forum, who're more likely to be able to tell you how to split them up seperately, and give you a list of parts/materials

edit: and I must say..it's not just cutting the 2 parts apart :/

you'll need to build two new cabinets. one to hold the speakers, and one that'll be the new head cabinet
Last edited by james4 at Jul 9, 2010,
I did my 6505 myself, took about an hour and was easy, I use a different cab though now because its better with a 2x12. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for anyone to do it though.
Quote by james4
if you know you can do it at a pro shop, then why not ask the shop how much it costs?

that'll give you a much better answer than asking a bunch of guys in a customizing forum, who're more likely to be able to tell you how to split them up seperately, and give you a list of parts/materials

because if anyones done it they can tell me if its worth it.
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Quote by Tempoe
I did my 6505 myself, took about an hour and was easy, I use a different cab though now because its better with a 2x12. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for anyone to do it though.

Yeah thats what i was thinking. i only want a smaller cab for gigs at smaller venues or places that dont need an oversized 4x12 cab. and my friend really wants a peavey 5150 combo because its 60 watts so i thought i would try to help him out.
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150