Page 1 of 2
Whats your favorite Marshall amp ?

Looking to buy one so just want some of your favorites

Thanks
Depends on your budget and the kind of tone you're looking for. Someone might say their favourite is the plexi, but they probably don't play metal. Or someone might say the TSL but they probably don't play jazz.

General advice is stay away from the MG's, AVT's aren't a huge amount better and don't limit yourself to just Marshalls. It's generally accepted around here that there are a lot of manufacturers making amps that do the classic Marshall tone better than a lot of Marshalls being made at the moment.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I'm personally a fan of the JVM. Not many people here are, but I think it is quite a good amp, and is worth it if you can find a used 50-watt 2 channel one.

The JCM 800 is another great one, and it is generally more well liked.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by TMSmity95
@311ZOSOVHJH I just want to now your favorite marshall amp

That really wont help you unless you know what kind of music the user plays. As well as that, if someone is just thinking abstractly of their favourite Marshall amp without any restrictions they're likely just going to think of one of the most expensive, high end models.

I mean my favourite Marshall would probably be a late 70's JMP, but that information probably isn't going to help you much unless you have a couple of thousand to spend and you know what kind of sounds it can do.
^I have seen late '70s JMPs for under $1000 before. They're not really collectable since they're basically the same amps as the JCM800 2203s and 2204s. A guy that I used to play guitar with bought a '78 Mk II MV for $800 in great working condition. Only vintage Marshalls that I ever see running for several thousands are plexi era amps.

I am in love with this amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiWLnYU6JBQ

not quite a plexi but pretty cool regardless.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by TMF128
I'm personally a fan of the JVM. Not many people here are, but I think it is quite a good amp, and is worth it if you can find a used 50-watt 2 channel one.

The JCM 800 is another great one, and it is generally more well liked.

I like the JVM too.. i just don't like the way they've done the footswitch. I gigged with one, once, and was really fighting with that damned system where it cycles through the green, orange and red settings on each channel. there were times where i needed to go from green clean, to orange OD, to orange clean (crunch), and it just wouldn't allow it to be done smoothly. Never again

Great sounding amplifier though - i find the sound is absolutely spot on. If i was a rich and famous rock star the JVM would be my studio amp of choice, but i'd much rather have a JMP 2203 for gigging
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
NOT an MG. IMO the only thing worse is a spider.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Blompcube
Great sounding amplifier though - i find the sound is absolutely spot on. If i was a rich and famous rock star the JVM would be my studio amp of choice, but i'd much rather have a JMP 2203 for gigging

First time I hear someone on UG saying really nice things about a modern Marshall.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Dream Floyd
NOT an MG. IMO the only thing worse is a spider.

The Spider gets a really hard time here on UG but I'd take it over an MG tbh
JCM800 2204. Because it raaaawwwks.

2203 is for wannabe rockstars to compensate for their tiny wee-wees. There I said it. Fire up your flamethrowers.
I've tried some of them...
MG = actually not too bad, they get a lot of hate but I actually like their sound
AVT= garbage
valvestate = not much better than AVT
jcm800 = pretty good sounding, I just find it much much much too bright (it was a 2203)
jcm2000 = bleh
jvm410h = absolute garbage (in my opinion, played so many gigs with em, never managed to like them)
jtm45 = pretty sweet clean

however, the one marshall amp I would buy if I found it on my used market is the 6100 head, 30th anniversary head... I actually love this one =)
so that'd be my favorite
Last edited by Darkflame at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
JCM800 2204. Because it raaaawwwks.

2203 is for wannabe rockstars to compensate for their tiny wee-wees. There I said it. Fire up your flamethrowers.

what exactly is the difference between the 2204 and 2203? i get confused. Bearing in mind that i'm of the opinion that simply owning a halfstack "because it's a halfstack", and/or owning a marshall "because it's a marshall" is for these pencil-dicked wannabes you speak of. These are the ones who buy the MG100 full stack

edit: oic... the 2204 is the 50 watt version and the 2203 is 100 watts.. i got a bit confused thinking the 2204 was the higher wattage model. Turns out, i'd probably prefer a 2204, since it's lower wattage. I've never needed more than 30 watts from a tube amp.. in fact, i've never even needed as much as 30 watts from a tube amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by Blompcube
what exactly is the difference between the 2204 and 2203? i get confused. Bearing in mind that i'm of the opinion that simply owning a halfstack "because it's a halfstack", and/or owning a marshall "because it's a marshall" is for these pencil-dicked wannabes you speak of. These are the ones who buy the MG100 full stack

edit: oic... the 2204 is the 50 watt version and the 2203 is 100 watts.. i got a bit confused thinking the 2204 was the higher wattage model. Turns out, i'd probably prefer a 2204, since it's lower wattage. I've never needed more than 30 watts from a tube amp.. in fact, i've never even needed as much as 30 watts from a tube amp.

If I'm not mistaken (which might well be the case), the only difference is the 2203 being 100w while the 2204 is 50. Owning a 50w head right now, I don't know why I would anything that is louder, ever. Granted, a larger power section with a big fat OT means slightly different tone, but the sheer insanity of the available volume is mind-boggling to me.

EDIT: Just noticed your edit, seems like we're on the same page.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
If I'm not mistaken (which might well be the case), the only difference is the 2203 being 100w while the 2204 is 50. Owning a 50w head right now, I don't know why I would anything that is louder, ever. Granted, a larger power section with a big fat OT means slightly different tone, but the sheer insanity of the available volume is mind-boggling to me.

yeah i see what you mean. in a band situation it's rare for me to turn my VC30 up past 4, and my H||H being a 100 watt RMS solid state amp i think i've never turned the volume past 3.

I think tube amps never need to be more than 50 watts nowadays, as 50 watts is more than enough to overpower anything else on stage, and they mic everything up. Perhaps in the '60s it was different, since the PA used to usually only deal with the vocals, so i guess people would've needed that much volume at big festivals like woodstock, simply so that people could hear at the back.

I personally dont like marshalls...
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I love the JCM800 2555 and JMP

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
JCM800, though I'd just about never consider dropping the cash to buy one
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Probably the 2203 or Super Lead, but I prefer the 2204/1987 for leads because of the sexy smoothness.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Good marshalls (IMO)

JCM 2000 DSL (50 and 100)
JCM 800 2203, 2204
JTM45
JMP 20 watt Lead and Bass

All the above mentioned are in my opinion great amps, it really just depends on what sound you're chasing,

the DSL will give you good modern distortion with the ability to go classic in a 90% there fashion. (Which would make it very ideal for playing live, and less ideal for recording, depending on the sound you're after)

the JCM 800 will give you good classic 80's tones, naturally.

the JTM45 will give you a nice thick classic bluesy rock overdrive

the JMP20 will give you chimy Rock and roll overdrive typical of say ACDC as well as thick pounding overdrive ala weezer.

Take your pick.

Honestly, all good amps, but different tastes for different people.
Best Regards,

Ryan

I'm a Pilot. Like Bruce. I win, you lose.

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany.

VOX AD15VT
Orange Dual Terror Orange TH30
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
vintage 2203 and modern reissue 2203 are radically different.

first thing people should do when they get a 2203, is to get some crappy cables that suck tone. that actually gives the user tone they want.

modern 2203 have marshall tubes. modern tubes are very shrill on the high end, manufacturers claim that it's "detailed" or "articulate", but it's just harsh. modern amps work WITH the harsh tubes to sound good. 2203 reproductions are built AS the old 2203, and thus it will sound harsh, unless you get the "warm" and "mellow" tubes from pre '80s.

2203 and other marshalls (older ones, plexi, jtm45, major) didn't have any treble dumping circuitry in the amp itself. fenders too, they always pass through all the treble that the amp makes while amplifying. the result is the super harsh fizzy sound. in older amps with jimi hendrix's coily high capacitance cables and sweet mellow tubes, it sounded good. having a treble dumping cap works, but those things dump the treble when the amp is not overdriven, and that is rather annoying.

that's my take on the bright reissue amps... and i agree with the people who claim they're bright. same with AC30s and reissue fenders too. they don't build things around the modern tubes/transformers/etc. they just copy the values from the old amps, stick new tubes/transformers in there. some old amps even had 12AY7s in the tube sockets, and you'd find 12AX7s instead inside modern reissues. crazy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
vintage 2203 and modern reissue 2203 are radically different.

first thing people should do when they get a 2203, is to get some crappy cables that suck tone. that actually gives the user tone they want.

modern 2203 have marshall tubes. modern tubes are very shrill on the high end, manufacturers claim that it's "detailed" or "articulate", but it's just harsh. modern amps work WITH the harsh tubes to sound good. 2203 reproductions are built AS the old 2203, and thus it will sound harsh, unless you get the "warm" and "mellow" tubes from pre '80s.

2203 and other marshalls (older ones, plexi, jtm45, major) didn't have any treble dumping circuitry in the amp itself. fenders too, they always pass through all the treble that the amp makes while amplifying. the result is the super harsh fizzy sound. in older amps with jimi hendrix's coily high capacitance cables and sweet mellow tubes, it sounded good. having a treble dumping cap works, but those things dump the treble when the amp is not overdriven, and that is rather annoying.

that's my take on the bright reissue amps... and i agree with the people who claim they're bright. same with AC30s and reissue fenders too. they don't build things around the modern tubes/transformers/etc. they just copy the values from the old amps, stick new tubes/transformers in there. some old amps even had 12AY7s in the tube sockets, and you'd find 12AX7s instead inside modern reissues. crazy.

fender is the worst at this.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
That's a hard one. I'd like a Plexi but I'd be more likely to buy an early single channel JCM800. But my favourite? Probably the 18W 1958 from 1965.
Then again, if it's ANY Marshall then I want the original Bluesbreaker 4x10 that Clapton used on the Beano album. They were never released as a 4x10 so what I want is the actual one built for Clapton by Jim Marshall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's a hard one. I'd like a Plexi but I'd be more likely to buy an early single channel JCM800. But my favourite? Probably the 18W 1958 from 1965.
Then again, if it's ANY Marshall then I want the original Bluesbreaker 4x10 that Clapton used on the Beano album. They were never released as a 4x10 so what I want is the actual one built for Clapton by Jim Marshall.

IIRC The original got trashed and no longer exists........or maybe I'm wrong.

That would be pretty sweet though .
Best Regards,

Ryan

I'm a Pilot. Like Bruce. I win, you lose.

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany.

VOX AD15VT
Orange Dual Terror Orange TH30
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Page 1 of 2