have any of you guys tried the gibson shark fin?

i guess this is gibsons attempt to get in on heavy metal guitars?
i dont know how it sounds, and ive never played one. i saw the design and thought it could be made way better with small changes:

BETTER COLOR!!! it doesnt have to be the blue i picked but whats up with the sparkle gray, it looks like crap. just with the color it looks a lot better. then i put cream pickups, i like cream but black would work too. comfortable neck(i dont find gibson necks to be to good for shredding). better inlays; trapezoid, block, whatever, just not dot inlays. neck binding and an ebony board would be nice.

any thoughts?

oh and please dont laugh at my picture too much, im not a pro
it's an explorer with a chunk taken out of it.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Honestly, it looks like it's about 20 years too late (assuming it's a new model, I don't know).

It could very well be Nigel Tufnel's new signature.

Edit: Oh, and I think the colour has a lot to do with it being a 'shark fin'.
Last edited by Y00p at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by Y00p

It could very well be Nigel Tufnel's new signature.

"Look the price tag's still on it, never played.
Don't touch it, don't point at it, don't even look at it! "

Is the fretboard even bound? It's kind of grainy and looks to be so, but I'm not positive.

Gibson doesn't need body shapes to get into heavy metal, they're already there a-plenty. If they released more models with EMGs stock people would eat it up. Our local craigslist isn't huge, but more often than not Gibsons that go on have had EMGs installed.

I also don't like that body design. On anything. So regardless I wouldn't buy one.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
That guitar looks like an abortion scooped out of Dean’s dumpster full of shit to ugly to sell even with Dimebag silkscreened on the front. My guess is that the curves were drawn by the same incompetent tool who designed the pickguard in the Dusk Tuger.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165280&highlight=gibson+shark

It's a 2009 limited model,around 1000 were made I think.
http://www.gibson.com/press/usa/product/2009_LimitedRuns/DSSFS1PT1.jpg
I actually like the design

..Still have to find a NGD thread about it on the internet D:
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
Quote by jpnyc
even with Dimebag silkscreened on the front

poor dimebag had no idea dean was going to drive his poor name into the ground with more signature models than les paul himself... that line definitely made me laugh haha

i'm not a big fan, but i applaud gibson for at least trying to make new stuff. if they didn't then people start complaining about how they're too predictable and boring, and once they DO make new stuff people ridicule it. it's a lose / lose situation. unfortunately with stuff like that it's just a lose situation though.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Youri
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165280&highlight=gibson+shark

It's a 2009 limited model,around 1000 were made I think.
http://www.gibson.com/press/usa/product/2009_LimitedRuns/DSSFS1PT1.jpg
I actually like the design

..Still have to find a NGD thread about it on the internet D:

yea i dig the desing too. im just not too fond of the color, its like a sparkle gray. and it would look a lot better with inlays.

gibson can get in on metal guitars this way, they just have to change somethings, and not charge a crapload cause its a new model....as a matter of fact, id probably pay up to 700 dollars to buy one like it is right now....but freaking gibson always overcharges because of the logo on the headstock
Last edited by davem27 at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by Himelnator
ibanez much?

i actually like the left one,

the newer shark fin models.. not so much.
I never really liked it. This guitar is so old that no one has really said "old news," and "reported."

I'm not going to

But it's nothing special.
Quote by Tedward
this one:

I hate to like an Epi, and one with actives at that(at least I'm pretty sure it has actives?), but that thing's utterly sexy. o_o Aaaaanyways...I love the look of it, personally, but...it's just an Explorer with a D-shaped chunk taken out of it. XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Tedward
The Futura is nicer.

not this one:

this one:

The first one is a Corvus no?

And I really hate the wonky cutaway on the Epiphone Futura models. To me it looks exactly like what it is, a guitar based on a design of the Explorer before they got it looking right.
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by siverstorm
K fine i'll keep it classic.

This is actually a really nice looking guitar.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.