Hi there, I recently got some Daddario .10-.46's tuned em to drop C which google said was CGCEGD. Im tuned to C2 G2 C3 E3 G3 d4 but the 1st 2nd and 3rd strings sound weird, and alot lower than expected ive done the stretch and retune twice and its still the same so im thinking possibly my tuning is wrong can someone help to say if its right or wrong please? if its wrong what is the actual tuning for Drop C? (if it helps the tuner im using is a Boss TU-80)

Thanks in advance for any help given
Ive gone from .9s to 10s but next time might goto 11s or 12s as the 1st string feels really thin.. and thanks roflpwn will retune it in a bit.
Try 10-52's. It's not necessary though. Oh and you're supposed to be tuned C G C F A d (d being your thinnest string).
You don't wanna tune 46s to Drop C. If you're gonna go Drop C, get 52s or higher. Personally, I wouldn't tune anything thinner than 60s to Drop C. BUT I play 50s or 52s in standard tuning. Anyway, I'd get a set of 52s or 54s if you wanna try out Drop C.

Also, you're gonna wanna adjust your truss rod. Here's a decent article on how to do it, http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml. The reason to adjust your truss rod is that your truss rod is adjusted to factory settings. In other words, it's set up to handle E standard but not to handle Drop C. If you don't adjust your truss rod, your guitar neck will warp over time. If this process scares you, most guitar shops can adjust it fairly quickly.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 9, 2010,
ah ill stick it in Drop Db or standard for a while then and pick up some thicker strings and finally take it to the guitar shop fora truss rod adjustment as tbh i wouldnt be able to trust myself.
here's a trick if your tuner isn't chromatic: tune to dropped D - then tune all your strings with the D as if you were tuning standard - then tune dropped D again (this will be dropped C)
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
I love the way everyone in this thread is chucking around string gauges like there's some kind of hard and fast rule about it...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by phatsack
here's a trick if your tuner isn't chromatic: tune to dropped D - then tune all your strings with the D as if you were tuning standard - then tune dropped D again (this will be dropped C)

My tuner is chromatic but only shows sharps not flats on the readouts if that makes sense as like it shows D2/3/4 etc. then D#1/2/3 etc.
well D# is Eb enharmonic equivalents. so if your going to Eb tuning your tuner would say its in D# tuning. neither is wrong, both are right. just some tuners do different things. most guitarists work in sharps rather than flats,
i'm Ginger its fun
yo 2. post in this thread explains all. Drop C tuning is CGCFAD
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P