Some time in the near future i plan on purchasing a Marshall TSL100 head and a 1960A cab. The problem is that i currently play through a Marshall MG30DFX (terrible investment...shouldna dunnit) and i know once i get the TSL the MG is gonna become a drink stand. The problem I (and every other person that decided to buy ONE 100W head to gig and practice with) have is i know it is gonna have crap tone at low volumes. What should i do about this? It has a VPR (Virtual Power Reduction) button that is supposed to drop it to 25w, but i hear that this sucks tone. I've heard about using a load box and a power amp (Crate Powerblock?) to keep good tone at low levels, but don't know much about this. I've also heard of attenuators and mods that can be done. Does anyone have any advice on which would be cheapest or easiest or most effective?

Also, does anyone have and mods that they recommend for the TSL100? Such as tone-improving mods, gain improving mods, reverb improving mods, anything would be appreciated. It's not that i don't like the amp stock, but i want to know what all of my options for it are. :-P

Please state at the beginning of your post whether you are addressing the volume problem or the general mod question.

Thanks for any help you can give
Google search for "marshall tsl mods" brought me this: http://www.anchorstates.net/2009/01/amp-guts-complete-marshall-tsl-mods.html

Also, why not go with the tsl60? I think the best decision I ever made gear wise was to go with the dsl50 and not the 100. I played a gig a couple weeks ago and the band after me had a dsl100 and I couldn't believe how fuzzy and lifeless his tone was compared to mine at about the same decibel level.
Guitar: Fender Strat (SD Hot Rails in bridge, SD lil 59 in neck)
Effects: GUITAR> TU-2>WH-IV>CS-3>OC-2>GCB-95>TS-808> AMP -=- FX Loop: NS-2>CE-5>DD-6>DOD fx-42b
Amp: Marshall DSL50 w/Mercury Magnetics Choke/OT
Quote by reccaoconnor
Google search for "marshall tsl mods" brought me this: http://www.anchorstates.net/2009/01/amp-guts-complete-marshall-tsl-mods.html

Also, why not go with the tsl60? I think the best decision I ever made gear wise was to go with the dsl50 and not the 100. I played a gig a couple weeks ago and the band after me had a dsl100 and I couldn't believe how fuzzy and lifeless his tone was compared to mine at about the same decibel level.

I didn't like the stripped down features of the TSL60...i really liked the concept of having three separate EQ's for each channel...when i go for a led zeppelin tone, i use more mids and less bass and treble, but when i play metallica i use more bass and treble but cut the mids a bit and i don't wanna have to readjust my EQ in order to switch between the two. i don't just want an on-the-fly gain cut, i want a completely different sound. I think i am gonna go with the load box/power amp combo for low-volume tone. This stuff would also work in a gig situation, so i'll never have to compromise tone. thanks for the links to mods
Quote by reccaoconnor

I've done some of the mods on that site to my old TSL which I dont have anymore. The ones I did were 1, 4 and 5.
The first one was meant to get rid of fizz, but for some reason after I did it, there was a big mid scoop. I hated the sound, so I removed the cap you add to the lead volume pot, and it fixed the scoop, and I didnt really hear any less fizz when the cap was there anyway.
Adding a choke was the best mod I did, there was a big improvement in bass response. I also did the misc caps, but I did it at the same time as the fizz mod so I didnt really notice the difference.