Ok, allow me to start from the beginning. Bear with me, as this ain't quite about bandleading.

One of my friends has a band. To put it bluntly, their singer is awful (bum notes, no stage presence). I like to think I'm good, and I also think that his singer is holding their band back. So, naturally, I want to join his band as the singer. I've jammed with them before, but we weren't at the same place musically at the time, but I've shifted toward their style. He's the leader of the band, so I thought I might send him a recording of me singing something (I've already shown him some lyrics I've written, so he knows I can write), so he can show his band mates and come to a decision.

My questions to you, dear denizens, are these; 1. Is this a good idea? 2. What song should I do? I'm partial to "Phantom of the Opera" by Iron Maiden right now, because I think it's relatively easy to sing, and has an already made karaoke track.
Hmmm that't not exactly joining as a replacement - you're actively trying to get the singer kicked out. That's poor form. Sometimes a singer can/does improve as you play with them more (actually quite often), but the main reasons that a member is not instantly replaced with the next best thing are the relationship that's been built between the existing band members, and also that if a new person joins the group, it will set them back in terms of gigs and such while the extra person catches up (for original bands).

But I'm not sure why you're trying to do this unless the singer has already been dropped, or he has told the band he plans to quit.

Make your own band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
True, true, but I left out an important detail. The band does want to replace him, as that's the reason I was called to jam with them in the first place. They know they need a replacement, this is more of a matter of convincing them it should be me. They actually kicked him before, but didn't like the replacement's style (emo/goth), so they hired him back. So, yeah, they are/were actively trying to replace him at some point, but they don't want to hurt his feelings.
If they want to replace him, I would say get your foot in the door as soon as you can, he's already a friend of yours, that's a vital connection you can use. I would say you should simply record something and get it to him ASAP, that way when it comes to finding a replacement, they'll already know how talented you are and you'll have a much better chance of getting in.

As far as song choice, I don't know what kind of voice you have so I'll just say either pick something you can sing extremely well, or cover a band that you know the members of the band love, up to you really, though.
I'm really struggling to both like my voice when it's recorded and find a decent mic in my house. My laptop webcam is terrible, and so is my MP3 player, and don't even get started about my Rock Band microphone. It's weird, my voice actually sounds higher in my head, instead of the other way around, and it's always way too loud, which causes clipping issues on playback. I don't know, other people seem to like my voice, but I can't stand it.

BTW, I think I'm a baritone.
My mic of choice is the Sennheiser e835. Same price range, but back to back makes the 58 sound like you're singing through wet moving blankets.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Cowless
True, true, but I left out an important detail. The band does want to replace him, as that's the reason I was called to jam with them in the first place.

Ahh that's all good then. As koslack and axeman say, get a vocal mic, and some experience. I find it very strange that although you claim to be a better singer, you're still not comfortable with the sound of your own voice. This uncomfortableness is a trademark of a beginner.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by axemanchris
My mic of choice is the Sennheiser e835. Same price range, but back to back makes the 58 sound like you're singing through wet moving blankets.

CT

I love me some Senheisers. I've never owned one, but the ones I've used sound great. But my SM58, I've dropped, smashed, had beer poured on and every other torture you can put a piece of electronics through, and it still sounds great. Lot to be said for durability.
I also find they're underrated for clean guitar tones.
I've got a 58 and a couple of 57's. For recording, I would never intuitively reach for a 58 for a vocal track, but after trying nearly every other mic in my collection - on one singer - the one that was just *perfect* for her voice was.... the 58.

They're decent mics. Obviously, there are MUCH better ones out there, but for certain sounds and applications, the 58 just might be a perfect choice.

The reason they're so popular is that they are relatively inexpensive, sound decent, are as consistent as ice in the arctic, and they're practically bullet-proof. All those factors together make them ubiquitous enough that virtually everybody either has one or know someone who does, which means everyone knows how to use one and what they sound like, which makes it the "industry standard" when it comes to making comparisons.

Compare that to a U87 that sounds golden on pretty near anything, they're over 10x the price and one bad fall could kill it forever... the 58 seems to be a no-brainer.

That all said, the Sennheiser has been quite durable... but I do take pretty good care of it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by AlanHB
Ahh that's all good then. As koslack and axeman say, get a vocal mic, and some experience. I find it very strange that although you claim to be a better singer, you're still not comfortable with the sound of your own voice. This uncomfortableness is a trademark of a beginner.

While I'm not uncomfortable singing around other people, I don't think many singers actually like the sound of their own voice on record. I'll admit, I've only been singing for about a year, so yes, I am a beginner, but this is a teenager band were talking about. The oldest member is 18, the rest are near 16, so experience is at a bit of a premium.

As for buying a mic... I don't have a lot of cash, being a 15 year old with no source of income other than mowing the lawn.

You know what I think I'll do? I'm just going to ask the bandleader if they're still looking for a new singer, and then audition in person. Much simpler.

UPDATE: I contacted the bandleader, and he told me that they have plans for the singer to leave the band, and for the rhythm guitarist to take over vocals. However, he told me he knows some guys starting a band that need a vocalist, and that he would try to hook me up with an audition. So... Tips on joining a group I don't know, making a good first impression and all that stuff?
Last edited by Cowless at Jul 10, 2010,