Hey guys,

I got my second job so I finally am getting enough money for my guitar build i've been planning on forever. I'm gonna go ahead and start ordering the wood because I can always get electronics whenever. I've already ordered custom plans..and they're delicious.

Where/Who is a good place to order wood from?

I need a 27 slotted fretboard, there was a guy on project guitar that does them but I couldn't find his thread
And then I'm looking for a 5 piece neck-through blank (something strong, reverse grained and wide enough for 7-stringdom) and body wings, nothing too exotic, mahogany of some variety would be nice.

I would go and get this myself but seriously our lumber yards around here suck massively, I tried looking around but I wasnt sure which places were trustworthy and I didn't know who on here really did wood selling.
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
No more standard place to look for wood than your local lumber yard. If you want a two piece body, two 11" x 8" x 2" blanks should be more than enough.
Like I said, local lumber yard is a fail, where I live we have a big production yard of some really crappy wood, which I forget what it's even called, definitely no good for guitar building though, and they don't stock wood other than that so, kinda forced to order from somewhere/someone.

I'm looking through the project guitar links to see if any of them sell what i'd be looking for.
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
Well, that kind of sucks. When places sell body blanks for instruments and stuff, they always price gouge. Sometimes it'd be more cost effective to buy like solid simple undesigned mahogany door and build 4 guitars from it than it would be to buy a blank.

Also, be aware that the wood doesn't have to be like grade AAAAAA+ to be instrument grade. When Eddie Van Halen was building his frankenstrat, the body he used had a giant knot in it (so the story goes). He used it anyway and the world didn't end.
Honestly, the reason I didn't want exotic/especiallypretty wood is cause I'm just gonna paint over it anyways. Wouldnt mind pretty neck through mood though since that's getting oiled
I would order from a fellow forum luthier if I could since I could more than likely get the wood at a better price and all at once which saves on shipping.
Quote by t heff