Hey, I just bought a Jackson X series Rhoads with a vox valvetronix 15 a hercules stand and hard case for 250$ Canadian.

And I want to replace the bridge pickup from the Duncan Design Distortion to a real Duncan. Right now I'm looking at getting an Invader. Is that the best for me do you think? I play alot of metalcore and thrash metal. Would the Invader be the best choice or is there a better Duncan?

And is Seymour Duncan what I should be looking at or is there better pickups suited for my style?

And I would rather not spend more than 100$ on a pickup. Thanks in advance.
have you checked out any other pickups? It's all ear, what sounds good to you might not sound good to anyone else and vice versa. I would suggest going to a local music shop and seeing if you can try out multiple other guitars with different pickups. I myself would never want an invader in my guitar. I'd stick to JB/59 combo honestly.

Also, tone is going to come mostly from your amp not your pickups.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Levi79
And is it even worth changing the pickup from the Duncan Design to a Seymour Duncan?

Duncan Designed is Seymour's Bottom of the Line pickup.

Yeah.. It's worth it.

Yeah, I'd back you on getting an invader.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Last edited by Benguitar2 at Jul 9, 2010,
Listen to the man above, (spby)

I have to disagree about tone not coming from pickups though, You will generally find a very very noticable difference between the hotter pickups, and the cooler ones.

In otherwords,

Superduper hot active pickups generally sound like buzzing bees and worht jack shit (in my opinion)

Really cold pickups are really hard to get modern tones out of and again suck ass

Middle of the road - I actually have Gibson burstbucker pro's.

59's as mentioned above are nicely somewhere in the middle as well though.

so go listen to some of them by ear.
Best Regards,

Ryan

I'm a Pilot. Like Bruce. I win, you lose.

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany.

VOX AD15VT
Orange Dual Terror Orange TH30
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Last edited by redberon2003 at Jul 9, 2010,
If you want Duncan's, go for a JB/59 combo. But still, go to your local store and try out different guitars with different pickups and see what works for you
They're crap. Shrill, thin and nasty. Try something like the Custom or Distortion if you want Seymour Duncan.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Distortion/ '59 or Alternative 8's in both positions are great combos for modren metal.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by mmolteratx
They're crap. Shrill, thin and nasty. Try something like the Custom or Distortion if you want Seymour Duncan.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lolwut, how did you make that logical leap? the invader is pretty rubbish too, unless you have a ridiculously bright guitar. I haven't tried the x2n but i was under the impression that it was a joke until all the noobs saw how powerful it was and kept ordering it.

as matt said, distortion (may be too bright in your RR) or custom would probably be worth a look.

if you can find an rr3 to try that'll let you know how a jb sounds (though i would point out that, having tried a load of jbs in different guitars, they all sounded different, and it's pretty hard to predict how it'll sound). a jb might be worth considering if the custom and distortion are too edgy in alder. Or a custom V (though i haven't tried a custom V, just the custom and custom custom).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the SD distortion set. I love them for metal and metalcore. Just don't expect beautiful sparkling cleans. Not gonna happen with them.
Don't buy the x2n. Based on the sound it makes you may actually think it's made from mud and BAD.
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
You have a Valvetronix 15. I can't imagine new pickups making all that much difference. I have Duncan Designed Burst Bucker Pros in my Schecter and I think they are fine. Save your money and save up for a better amp where better pickup will actually make a difference.
TS, if you have a Valvetronix 15 then there is absolutly no point in upgrading your pick-ups at all, this is a common mistake made by a lot of guitarists.

Pick-ups definatly do change your tone, but it's only worth doing if you have a good amplifier.

You should definatly think about buying a proper amp before you think about swapping pick-ups.

As far as pick-ups go, in my opinion, Duncan Invaders arn't really an upgrade from Duncan Designed.

I have a guitar with a JB in the bridge, which is awsome, and a Duncan Jazz in the neck, because I use alot of cleans.

If I were going for a good metal bridge pickup in the Duncan range, I'd go for either a JB or a Distortion, that's not to say they don't make other good pickups though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I really like using the SH-5 and the SH-2. the SH-5 is good for Bridge and doesn't "mush" out. The SH-2 is a Jazz pickup. use it on neck. It's good for fast runs
Quote by redberon2003
Listen to the man above, (spby)

I have to disagree about tone not coming from pickups though, You will generally find a very very noticable difference between the hotter pickups, and the cooler ones.

In otherwords,

Superduper hot active pickups generally sound like buzzing bees and worht jack shit (in my opinion)

Really cold pickups are really hard to get modern tones out of and again suck ass

Middle of the road - I actually have Gibson burstbucker pro's.

59's as mentioned above are nicely somewhere in the middle as well though.

so go listen to some of them by ear.

Don't listen to Mr burstbucker. His generalization of active pickups is one of the dumbest statements I have heard in a while. I would give video proof of his ignorance but I'm on my phone. SD makes over six different kinds of active pickups for different kinds of music. Actives will be out of your budget but for metal the blackouts line is amazing. For your situation I would probably recommend a Duncan distortion.
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
If you play Metalcore, and are willing to do the conversion to actives, try SD Blackouts. Lot of these bands are switching to them. Youtube them, better than EMG's IMO
Guitars:
Schecter Blackjack C1 FR (Blackouts)
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger (EMG's)

Amp:
Valveking 100
Valveking Cab 4X12
Behringer V-Tone GMX212

Effects:
Maxxon OD808
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Quote by Trailen
Don't buy the x2n. Based on the sound it makes you may actually think it's made from mud and BAD.

Have you used an X2N? It's not muddy at all. If anything it's way too trebly, but it cuts like a mofo. No one who has used an X2N can say that it doesn't cut.