Can some people suggest some cool exotic sounding scales to learn? Im looking up the hungarian minor, harmonic minor, and a few others and would love some others to learn.
Obviously Fassa.
phrygian dominant
oriental scales
diminished scales
make em up yourself
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
Damn, the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was "Oo! Hungarian minor!" So much for that :p. Out of curiosity, have you heard Tetragrammaton by The Mars Volta? They use it in the intro, and it's how I learned about that scale.

Anyway, the diminished and whole tone scales are pretty neat. The diminished scale has a nice crazed sound to it (See Radiohead's "Just"), and the whole tone scale is the typical "entering dream sequence" scale. And they're both symmetric! Whee!!

Also learn about modes. There's way too much about them to talk about in one post, but basically they're like a generalization of the idea of major and minor (both of which are modes themselves).
Hungarian gypsy altered mixolydianb9b6.

In all seriousness MAJOR AND MINOR SCALES FTW.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 10, 2010,
As for a serious answer.

Learn your straight Major and Minor scales.

Than learn the modes of the Major scale (you will already know two)

Learn the Melodic and Harmonic minor scale

Learn the modes of the Melodic and Harmonic Minor scale

If you want to, learn symmetrical scales

Diminished Scales (Whole - Half & Half - Whole)
Whole-Tone

These, in all seriousness are probably the only real scales you'll ever need

There's other miscillaneous scales, but if you've learnt all these, let us know, than you could (if you wanted) start devling into other miscellaneous scales, but to know the afforementioned ones is really important

That's 24 individual scales listed above BTW
Last edited by jesse music at Jul 10, 2010,
Why do people feel as though they need to shun tonality and learn 50 modes and exotic scales? You can do so much with major and minor keys it's untrue. 90% of people learning double harmonic gypsy minor scales or what have you can't even write a simple chord sequence.

major and minor scales, bloody brilliant.

And while i'm on the subject.

Complex chords.

people don't realise how powerful simple triads can be. Cleverly used inversions and decoration of simple triads such as suspensions/passing notes/appoggiaturas can be beautiful, not learning an Ab13#5b9#11 chord and sticking it a song just for the sake of it being a complex chord to make you seem intelligent.
For sure. You have to learn simple before you can learn advanced, neither is "better" its like building a tower, if you have a weak foundation, its gonna tumble.

Its untrue that there is no-one who makes good use of exotic scales, Mattias AI Eklundah, in my personal oppinion does. But most sounds can be categorised into Major Scale, Melodic Minor Scale, and Harmonic Minor Scale.
Oriental? Where can I find a tab or chart for that?
Know Arabic, etc, but would love to check out an oriental.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Quote by c_foster88
Oriental? Where can I find a tab or chart for that?
Know Arabic, etc, but would love to check out an oriental.

I don't personally know the scale but a quick Google search yielded me this (assuming it's correct):

1-b2-3-4-b5-6-b7

(with C as the tonic)
C, Db, E, F, Gb, A, Bb

e|-------------------------------5-6-8--
B|----------------------2-5-6-7--------
G|--------------2-3-5-------------------
D|------2-3-4---------------------------
A|-3-4-----------------------------------
E|----------------------------------------

Here it is tabbed in two octaves.
Thanks. I Googled it myself and I got something that sounded horrible. Didn't catch what you guys gave me. Sounds better. Interesting.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci