Page 1 of 2
This is it, the amp I've been waiting for months for. A Mesa Electra-Dyne! Picked it up used this morning and it is in absolutely brand new condition and I got it for about half of what it is new after tax. It's the 112 combo but it's in the 212 combo cabinet so it has enhanced natural depth. This one has the clean gain trim knob installed from the Mesa factory. For anyone wondering what this amp is, it is basically a single channel amp with three gain stages, that ends up sounding like 3 completely different channels and for all intents and purposes I will just refer to them as channel 1, 2 and 3 in the review.

Channel 1 is the Clean Channel and it is based on the Fender Blackface era amps, I'm guessing the Twin Reverb because it sounds similar to my Twin and when cranked you can get some perfect SRV growl. Goes from Class A type American cleans on the 45 watt mode to perfect punch on the 90 watt Simul-Class mode.

Channel 2 is the Vintage Lo Channel and it is based on a Marshall Plexi, specifically the JTM45 to my ears. It gets hot, especially when the amp is cranked past about 9:00. I think this channel would excel at rock and metal along the lines of Sleep, but with a fuller sound.

Channel 3 is the Vintage Hi Channel and it sounds like it is based on a Marshall Super Lead 100. You can get some insane clarity even with the gain cranked on this channel with the right guitar. It goes from warm and lively cleans to full on intense distortion. It get very brutal with the right overdrive. It can definitely do metal without a boost but if you want epic high gain you can just boost it a tad and you're good.

All in all, I love this amp. It's all I need and it's dead quiet even with a boost. I chose it over a Bogner Shiva, so that says something. If you haven't tried this amp, then I highly suggest you do. If you hate Mesas, you will probably love this amp and that's probably the best way to describe it. I love Mesas and I love this particular amp the most, but that's just me.

I apologize for the cell phone pictures, my dad is using the nice camera at the moment.

For the demo I kept every knob at noon except for the Volume (Gain) and Master Volume. The gain for all channels is set at 1:30. The fourth clip is the Vintage Hi channel cranked and the fifth clip is the Vintage Hi channel with a Fulltone OCD boost. Recorded with an Agile AL-3000 LP style guitar with a DiMarzio PAF bridge and Duncan Jazz neck. These are VERY low output pickups, so keep that in mind if you think the gain isn't high enough. The mic is a Sennheiser e609 which I'm not fond of and doesn't sound as good as an SM57, I apologize for that but it's all I have right now.

Clips are on my page under the title "Mesa Boogie Electra-Dyne 112 Combo."

or right here - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/PerpetualBurn/music/play864315
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Last edited by PerpetualBurn at Jul 9, 2010,
HNAD! It sounds massive! Good job recordin it. How do you like it with a fuzz on or overdrive in the front?
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
i like that amp a lot.

mesa's mid gain/clean offerings > their high gain flavor of the brootz amps.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Thanks guys. This is my first time recording myself live with this mic, I usually use a Pod X3 Live or have my band's engineer do it so I apologize for my noobiness. I definitely think the Electra-Dyne along with the Lonestar are the true flagship amps of Mesas massive offerings. The overdrive sounds great. When I got this amp I was originally thinking of it being the first of about 6 amps I get over the course of the next 12 months, but that might be a lot less than 6. I might just get an Axe-FX and be good. Spend the rest on a PRS and a Strat or something. I haven't played with the fuzz yet but if it takes the fuzz as well as it took the OCD, then it should be epic. It's the Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker too so it has some extra options on it that allow it to work great with pretty much any setup. Even my Carvin X-30 which I feel is almost notoriously bad at taking pedals, even though I love it to death for small gigs.

The story behind this amp for me is that I went into Guitar Center ready to get a Mark V and they had sold out of the last one, so I was about to leave and my dear friend Dave of Guitar Center Fountain Valley told me that I needed to play this amp before I left, because no one else would and it wasn't his thing so he needed someone to try it. Well, sure enough I liked it more than the Mark V (which I LOVE as well, so that's saying something).

I tried it against some kind of Top Hat 112, a Divided by 13, and a Matchless Lightning 15. The Divided by 13 was the only one that was better, but it was 2100 used which was a little pricey for a clean/extremely low gain only amp for me. So I chose the ED (I'll try to refrain from calling it that as much as I can. As most men would agree, myself included, no one would ever choose "ED" over anything). In person it sounds better than the clips but I'm no master of recording (although I was lucky enough to take an analog recording class with the best professor/engineer in the state of CA, Nancy Allen, which I am very grateful for even though my skills are lacking). I'll record more clips tomorrow with my RG550 so you can hear some higher gain tones. I think it would sound very similar to some early Dream Theater (Awake era maybe?) crunch when turned up with the right guitar. Thanks again for the replies, better pictures and clips soon, I promise!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

I mean the only thing is that's not as versatile as a mark v or even dual rec for gigging since you've only got the one eq section but with the clean trim on the back and some careful dialing you can get at least 2 quick switchable channels if not all 3.

I personally don't find that a problem at all though. Each of the channels on the Dyne easily sounded better then any rec I've ever heard.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
****in awesome
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Sweet, I think that's the only Mesa I haven't tried/owned
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Super awesome man.

HNAD.

I want one now.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Very Nice, HNAD!
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
This sounds like it could be the best Mesa Boogie around... and the Lonestar.

Very nice, mate. Sincere congratulations. It's a really sweet sounding / looking amp. You've got a winner, fo sho!
I want to try....
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by philipk
nad day = new amp day day?

Yeah sorry I got excited and the typos got the best of me lol. Thanks for the kind words though everyone. I gotta say this is my dream amp and it's nice to finally own it, but that's not to say that it is the be all end all of tube amps. I'll do more demo's when I can with a Tele, a Strat, my RG550 and any other guitar anyone wants me to do a demo with. Don't have a 7 string though. Wish I just had a better mic...I would prefer an SM57. Also keep in mind that those first demos were with very low output pickups.

Also, the EQ works perfectly, I didn't move it all from noon during this demo. I also didn't adjust the volume levels until the last two clips to show high gain. The clean gain trim knob on the back works wonders and seamless switching between all three channels is easily achievable with about 5-10 seconds of setting up beforehand.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

Last edited by PerpetualBurn at Jul 10, 2010,
By the way, I just realized I had foolishly left the gain trim on Hi/Low and lowered the amount of gain coming out of the Vintage Lo and Vintage Hi channels, so in other words the clips I posted with the gain maxed were really only with the gain at about 2:00.. my bad XD

I'll post more later when I can really crank it, I can't wait but my family has been over for the past few days so I have to wait. Just got a new cable though too so my sound is much clearer. I'll be doing a demo with an RG550 in D Standard, a Gibson SG Standard, an Agile Tele, an Ibanez S540 and a Fender '61 Strat.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

Better pictures...

G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

Ooooh...I'm sold on this amp now. Such amazing cleans for a Boogie!

Hopefully I'll be getting the head in a couple of months!

Oh, most importantly...HNAD DAY!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Very nice. HNAD.
Why were you planning on buying 6 amps in 12 months? Going to try your hand at flipping amps?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sweet, I think that's the only Mesa I haven't tried/owned

wow, you got an amp Matrix hasn't played
happy NAD !
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Congrats, it sounds great. I'd love to hear the tele through it though.

Just looked at how much they cost in England...
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by monkey_dancer
Congrats, it sounds great. I'd love to hear the tele through it though.

Just looked at how much they cost in England...
lol I did the same thing a few months ago after hearing an awesome YouTube clip...
Quote by Cathbard
Very nice. HNAD.
Why were you planning on buying 6 amps in 12 months? Going to try your hand at flipping amps?

Yes and no, I was having a lot of trouble finding an amp that could do more than one tone I really liked until I found this one. Right now I'm set with this amp but when getting it I knew it would probably mainly be my home rig. I'm going to get an Axe-FX or whatever is the best modeling unit for most of the gigs that need high gain later on, for every other kind of gig I have I just use a lightweight Carvin X-30 112 combo, which is about a third the weight of this Mesa haha.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what is up with all the white pedals

congrats again on ElectraDyne. Gorgeous.

I know I have a five to one track record of favoring whites to coloreds but I swear I'm not racist!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

You have made me a very jealous guitarist.
Gear:
Guitar:
'08 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Boss CS-3
Vox Satchurater
Peavey Classic 30

Bass:
Fender Jazz
Carvin BX500
Quote by DoctorStrat
You have made me a very jealous guitarist.

Don't worry I also have a Peavey Delta Blues (similar to your classic 30) and it's an amazing amp as well so don't feel like you're not invited to the party or anything.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

Quote by PerpetualBurn
Don't worry I also have a Peavey Delta Blues (similar to your classic 30) and it's an amazing amp as well so don't feel like you're not invited to the party or anything.
I play through solid state amps. I don't care if I'm invited, I'm going to come and steal your crunch anyways.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I play through solid state amps. I don't care if I'm invited, I'm going to come and steal your crunch anyways.

Ain't nothing wrong with that either...as long as it's the godly Spider IV. No MGs allowed!

Also, video in 45 minutes. It's just rendering then being uploaded on Youtube.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727

Quote by PerpetualBurn

Don''t get me wrong. I love my Classic 30. But I would love to also have something for rock/metal stuff.
Gear:
Guitar:
Boss CS-3
Vox Satchurater
Peavey Classic 30

Bass:
Fender Jazz
Carvin BX500
^ Classic 30 can do metal with an overdrive.

HNAD, OP. The Electradynes are great, wish I could test one out sometime.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by PerpetualBurn
Video is up but remember it is still being processed right now and it's Youtube so the quality might be better tomorrow. Here it is anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9seei65tUrw

Love it. One again. Congrats on the new amp.
Gear:
Guitar:
Boss CS-3
Vox Satchurater
Peavey Classic 30

Bass:
Fender Jazz
Carvin BX500
Page 1 of 2