I thought it would make an interesting discussion.

The main culprit of your tone being not so great is all of those cables and pedals it has to travel through before producing it's sound.

I have a Marshall AVT 50h and I wonder sometimes if the effects loop does it's job properly or even good at all.

This thread could be used to discuss running effects, effects loops, buffers, bypass loops, and tone suckage in general.

Discuss?
Last edited by Funk Monk at Jul 10, 2010,
from what i can remember, the fx loop on my avt100 wasn't very good at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
from what i can remember, the fx loop on my avt100 wasn't very good at all.

I'm an extra 5 foot cable short of my fx loop, so currently I'm running direct. Running direct seems to twang up my tone a bit. But it's fairly minor and could be EQ'ed out.

However, I should mention i'm only running one pedal at the moment, a Bad Horsie 2.

I'm gonna try to run it through the FX loop to compare when I can snag another 5 footer.
Quote by Funk Monk
I'm an extra 5 foot cable short of my fx loop, so currently I'm running direct. Running direct seems to twang up my tone a bit. But it's fairly minor and could be EQ'ed out.

However, I should mention i'm only running one pedal at the moment, a Bad Horsie 2.

I'm gonna try to run it through the FX loop to compare when I can snag another 5 footer.

you shouldn`t be running a wah in the loop, the loop is for running time based effects, anything with a gain structure (that includes wahs, distortion, overdrive) should be sent to the front of the amp.
^+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I shall watch this thread very closely.

Does the Peavey Valveking 112 have a good Effects Loop?
Quote by SheLeftMe
EQ's go before as well? Or in the middle?

EQs work everywhere, same with volume pedals, volume boosts... can be used as well in any position for different effects

I like having an effects loop, but right now I don't... It doesn't matter though, because I love these amps =)
Quote by Major Bludd
I shall watch this thread very closely.

Does the Peavey Valveking 112 have a good Effects Loop?

Mine works well.

With some amps, adding in an effects loop makes a difference to the tone (usually for the bad) but in the case of the VK I would imagine the benefits of having one outweigh the downsides, as adding an EQ to the VK makes a shitload of difference.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Mine works well.

With some amps, adding in an effects loop makes a difference to the tone (usually for the bad) but in the case of the VK I would imagine the benefits of having one outweigh the downsides, as adding an EQ to the VK makes a shitload of difference.

I would agree with that.
Quote by AcousticMirror
effects loops definitely suck tone. h8 h8 h8.

So do you think it's smarter to run everything direct and utilizing bypass loopers instead?

I am thinking about doing this.
you'll need a new amp before an effects loop will really make that much of an impact on your tone.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
it's gonna be a trade off been punch and clarity versus running effects that should go there.
Quote by AcousticMirror
it's gonna be a trade off been punch and clarity versus running effects that should go there.

Or you could use a W/D rig and have both! Also, h8 h8 h8 on FX loops. That Soldano showed me the way.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I like using my fx loop. I had to realize what went there first. It will kill your tone if you throw distortion in the loop. I also found that if I stuck an eq pedal in there...I had far greater control over the tone than when I ran it in front of the amp...but that is a personal preference.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Quote by AcousticMirror

So your saying that I will retain more punch and clarity by avoiding the fx loop and running it direct instead?
yes sometimes, depending on the amp design. unless you're using your fx loop as a boost you'll have a hotter signal without the loop in.

but are you talking about having a loop or using a loop?
Using a loop.

I have one on my amp that I don't use at all really. I used it to test the tone difference and prefer to run it direct.
well ya that's fine. some fx should go in the loop and some should go in front.

matt and I are talking about bypassing the loop entirely, taking it out of the circuit.
Some things do work GREAT in loops...Noise gates on high gain amps, reverb/delay...
I h8 h8 h8 distortion pedals. I never understood they guy who bought a Peavy XXX AND Metal Zone pedal. That's why I got a high gain head, better distortion than any pedal! With a high gain head, your gonna get noise. I H8 h8 h8 noise! I won't buy an amp without a loop!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Jul 23, 2010,
On Monday my Blackstar HT-5 combo will arrive, as well as my Dano Fish&Chips EQ, should I run the EQ through the effects loop on my blackstar or should I leave it direct? I'll also be running my Bad Monkey that's coming as well, direct.

So it'll be like this: Guitar -> Bad Monkey -> HT-5
Effects Loop: Send -> EQ -> Delay -> Return

Is the above a good way to do it? Or would I be better off putting the EQ direct? I've no experience with Fx loops at all..
Using the effects loop is mostly noticeable if you are getting distortion from the amp's preamp. Since you have an AVT I guess you wouldn't be doing it that way (if you think AVT distortion is ok you won't pick the difference regardless of how you do it). This is of course neglecting the optimal input level range, some rack gear want's line level and in that case you need the loop. Pedals will work at quitar levels ok.
Think of it this way - I will describe delay but any time based is applicable.
In front - the delay's repeats are progressively lower in amplitude so they drive the amp less. Therefore each delay has less distortion
In the loop - the distorted signal is delayed. Therefore all repeats have the same distortion.
Which is best? It's a matter of taste. Most old recordings have the delay in front. To my ear that sounds more like a natural echo. In life echoes change timbre over time.
If you are getting distortion purely from pedals then it's simply down to pedal order.
Dist > delay => loop
Delay > distortion => out front (not exactly but closer)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 23, 2010,
Running the EQ in front of the amp, you can use it as a clean boost. I got rid of my OD pedal and use the Fish & chips as my clean boost. Running it in the loop should have a more noticeable effect adding or cutting frequencies without adding distortion.
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Say I were to run the EQ through my effects loop, just looking to use it to shape my tone a bit more than the standard 3-band EQ on my HT-5, not using it as a boost, would it work better out front of in the fx loop? I'm just confused what difference it truely makes.
from the amps stand point it doesn't make any difference at all. the fx loop on that amp can't be bypassed so the amp is not going to sound different whether you use the loop or not.
just stick the eq wherever it sounds the best.

I thought the op was asking about amps that have fx loops versus ones that don't.
if your amp already has one the question doesn't matter.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Say I were to run the EQ through my effects loop, just looking to use it to shape my tone a bit more than the standard 3-band EQ on my HT-5, not using it as a boost, would it work better out front of in the fx loop? I'm just confused what difference it truely makes.

For that, your probably better putting it in the loop. If you put it in front, you will get more distortion if you are boosting overall, or a little less distortion if your mainly cutting...if it's perfectly balanced, then it won't affect distortion much. Putting it in the loop won't affect distortion no matter what you do with it.