So judging by quality/cash is it cheaper to build yourself a guitar or buy a guitar?
Cheaper to buy. If you build, you'll end up paying more for parts and wood, as you won't get bulk discounts or exclusive deals, as most manufacturers do.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Baby Joel
Cheaper to buy. If you build, you'll end up paying more for parts and wood, as you won't get bulk discounts or exclusive deals, as most manufacturers do.

this, however, if youre a handy man and like the challenge of the build theres always kits.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
depends on what your building, if you're trying to make a starter guitar like a squier or something, buy.
Now if you want to make like a EVH Frankenstrat or something build! build! build!
plus if you are skillful, then you can make some really good guitars and build them to your specs
Quote by Baby Joel

true, but you can make a guitar thats more suited to your liking
Well the reason I wanna build my guitar is 1st of all the variety is ridiculously low.
No flying V's where I live, mostly it's just goddamn Ibanez. Also I have a CnC drilling machine so i assume it wouldn't be very hard. Now that I think about it there's almost nothing in my shop besides Ibanez, just one low end Washburn, a squier, 2 les pauls ( Epiphone and Grass Roots) , and one SG (Vintage). That's it if I recall correctly. No Esp's, Scheters, Jacksons, Deans.
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by rickyj
true, but you can make a guitar thats more suited to your liking

true, but make a mistake and you could end up with no guitar
Quote by Shinami
mostly it's just goddamn Ibanez.

lol kinda remindes me of this fourm
Quote by halfj06

Well I myself have an Ibanez RG350 because one was available used for an affordable price ( In the shop its like 500$, isin't that a bit too much?). I think I'll never buy an Ibanez ever again. They're just such bland guitars, so boring in design. I wanna make myself a flying V, the gibson style one.
Quote by Shinami
Well I myself have an Ibanez RG350 because one was available used for an affordable price ( In the shop its like 500$, isin't that a bit too much?). I think I'll never buy an Ibanez ever again. They're just such bland guitars, so boring in design. I wanna make myself a flying V, the gibson style one.

That's coz you bought an RG :P
Ibanez S520EX ~ Roland Cube 30X ~ Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm
Quote by tigerking615
That's coz you bought an RG :P

I've looked at other models, no offence to those who like Ibanez, but those are boring guitars. Seriously they all look the same to me. The only one I liked was the PGM one. I love that kind of style.
if your left handed building actually is about the same exept you can have wathever guitar you want
i do it mostly because theres no high end lefties around here so might as well make it
Quote by Shinami
I've looked at other models, no offence to those who like Ibanez, but those are boring guitars. Seriously they all look the same to me. The only one I liked was the PGM one. I love that kind of style.

Not sure what you mean by boring... but yes, the PGM models are amazing. You can't call the Xiphos ones boring either. But I love mine because even if it's black and doesn't have an unusual shape, it plays beautifully and was the best I could get for the price.

do you think Strats are boring too?

And on topic, it depends on how skilled you are and how much you trust your hands :P. I'd like to eventually build a guitar but right now there's no way I could without a kit, and I'd probably struggle even with one :P
Ibanez S520EX ~ Roland Cube 30X ~ Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm
Quote by tigerking615
Not sure what you mean by boring... but yes, the PGM models are amazing. You can't call the Xiphos ones boring either. But I love mine because even if it's black and doesn't have an unusual shape, it plays beautifully and was the best I could get for the price.

do you think Strats are boring too?

No I love strats. I'd like to have on myself. Also Xiphos are Okish, but still pretty boring to my taste. The thing with Ibanez is that it just looks so.. Synthetic? I hope you understand what I mean. If it doesn't make sense, just whatever, it's my opinion.

Also I'm not skilled, but I'd be making it with my dad and he is VERY skilled. He's built shit for himself his whole life. Also the CnC drilling machine would help.
if you got the tools and the skills go for it. like building anything else it looks easy but it's actually hard to get right.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by halfj06

I would say this forum is more leaned towards Scheters, honestly. Most threads here that I've seen bash Ibanez.

Shinami, you could build a flying v and be cost effective about it, look hard enough and I'm sure you can find the supplies you want for a very reasonable price. The only draw back is if you make a mistake, which leads to you buying more supplies, you might want to practice once or twice working with some shitty wood before you use something real good. Gotta start somewhere though when you build your own equipment.
Mmm... nyeh.

I've "built" a Strat and actually built an LP (which I sold).

The Strat was $650 total. Bought as a beat up Squier Affinity Strat for $75, I chucked everything but the alder body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. Turned it to HSS with used SD pickups, routed out room for a Floyd Rose. Locking nut. Got a cheap white pearloid pickguard. Flamed maple veneer, stained translucent black. Body painted gloss black. CTS pots and Fender 5-way switch, kept the tuners since the locking nut made it a non-issue. Got a professional refret with med-jumbos.

Built it to be an 80s Heavy Metal monster. It accomplished it's task. I've never had a chance to compare it to a Fender Custom Shop, but I have compared it to my friend's American Standard. It blows the Standard out of the water and cost about $350 less. I also put it against a lot of more genre-related Ibanezes and it was no contest against those, either.

Now, the LP...

I bought some big scrap pieces of high grade-B mahogany from a local lumber place that makes doors and wood paneling and stuff. Some mis-matched pieces big enough for a 2-piece body, I had them plane it to 1-1/2". Glued them together, bought a low-grade A quilted maple top blank. glued it to the blanks. My friend's (the one with the American Standard) dad runs a prop designing place and I got to use their CNC machine. Had my body shaped, carved, routed, and drilled by the end of the day (designed it for bolt-on neck). Got an ebony-on-mahogany neck from Warmoth with med-jumbo frets and creme binding. Sanded body down with tools and by hand over the next two days. Assembled. Stained "Angus Young" cherry red, natural binding, black back and sides. CTS pots, 2 were push-pull, some cheap 3-way switch from Allparts. Gotoh locking tuners, gotoh ToM and tailpiece. And the pièce de résistance, BKP Mules calibrated set.

All-in-all--nearly $1,100 (the body wood was ridiculously cheap). Sold it for $1,450. Kinda wish I hadn't, it was a beauty. It played better than any Gibson I've tried, but I'm told that the real-deal Gibson Custom Shops are nearly unmatched.

Long story short--I think a $1,000+ guitar can be built for cheaper if you have the ability to not mess up and can be thrifty when need be. Sub $1,000 guitars... You'd probably be better off buying in most cases, or you shouldn't build from scratch. Starting from a prebuilt base is good if you can get it cheap.

The thing about buying and building is that guitars with like a $1,500+ street price aren't $1,500 worth of parts. A large part of that price tag is for quality, craftsmanship, and name. If you can take care of quality and craftsmanship yourself and don't care about name, then you only pay for the parts, which is considerably cheaper.

Also, you can't make exact replicas of factory-guitars like say, a Fender American Special for cheap, 'cause you'll have to buy Fender parts which are inflated in order to keep you buying instead of building (and to pinch money out of you when you want to do self-repairs). You can do your best to copy with like CTS and Allparts and Stewmac, but chances are you wont save a whole lot.

Wall o' text.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 10, 2010,
warmoth is another option.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Seref
Mmm... nyeh.

I've "built" a Strat and actually built an LP (which I sold).

The Strat was $650 total. Bought as a beat up Squier Affinity Strat for $75, I chucked everything but the alder body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. Turned it to HSS with used SD pickups, routed out room for a Floyd Rose. Locking nut. Got a cheap white pearloid pickguard. Flamed maple veneer, stained translucent black. Body painted gloss black. CTS pots and Fender 5-way switch, kept the tuners since the locking nut made it a non-issue. Got a professional refret with med-jumbos.

Built it to be an 80s Heavy Metal monster. It accomplished it's task. I've never had a chance to compare it to a Fender Custom Shop, but I have compared it to my friend's American Standard. It blows the Standard out of the water and cost about $350 less. I also put it against a lot of more genre-related Ibanezes and it was no contest against those, either.

Now, the LP...

I bought some big scrap pieces of high grade-B mahogany from a local lumber place that makes doors and wood paneling and stuff. Some mis-matched pieces big enough for a 2-piece body, I had them plane it to 1-1/2". Glued them together, bought a low-grade A quilted maple top blank. glued it to the blanks. My friend's (the one with the American Standard) dad runs a prop designing place and I got to use their CNC machine. Had my body shaped, carved, routed, and drilled by the end of the day (designed it for bolt-on neck). Got an ebony-on-mahogany neck from Warmoth with med-jumbo frets and creme binding. Sanded body down with tools and by hand over the next two days. Assembled. Stained "Angus Young" cherry red, natural binding, black back and sides. CTS pots, 2 were push-pull, some cheap 3-way switch from Allparts. Gotoh locking tuners, gotoh ToM and tailpiece. And the pièce de résistance, BKP Mules calibrated set.

All-in-all--nearly $1,100 (the body wood was ridiculously cheap). Sold it for $1,450. Kinda wish I hadn't, it was a beauty. It played better than any Gibson I've tried, but I'm told that the real-deal Gibson Custom Shops are nearly unmatched.

Long story short--I think a $1,000+ guitar can be built for cheaper if you have the ability to not mess up and can be thrifty when need be. Sub $1,000 guitars... You'd probably be better off buying in most cases, or you shouldn't build from scratch. Starting from a prebuilt base is good if you can get it cheap.

The thing about buying and building is that guitars with like a $1,500+ street price aren't $1,500 worth of parts. A large part of that price tag is for quality, craftsmanship, and name. If you can take care of quality and craftsmanship yourself and don't care about name, then you only pay for the parts, which is considerably cheaper.

Also, you can't make exact replicas of factory-guitars like say, a Fender American Special for cheap, 'cause you'll have to buy Fender parts which are inflated in order to keep you buying instead of building (and to pinch money out of you when you want to do self-repairs). You can do your best to copy with like CTS and Allparts and Stewmac, but chances are you wont save a whole lot.

Wall o' text.

Well I'm obviously not gonna try and make it into an exact replica, I don't see the point in buying small parts for a lot of money just because they are from the guitars that I want. I just want affordable parts that will do their job, not parts just for the sake of being a replica. My dad says he knows a guy who can get some Alder, so wood's Ok and I assume it's not gonna be expensive since it's probably his friend. The pickup's however are a problem. There's just no way for me to get them at a normal price. If I buy it from somewhere around here, well shit's overpriced. If I order it from somewhere, well the shipping will basically make it cost the same.

1000$ I don't have, so I guess it'd be a sub 1000$. So buying a guitar and then remaking it is the best choice huh?

The cheapest guitars at my shop are some Encore Strat's for like a 100$.
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 10, 2010,
It's just that sub-$1000 guitars are priced to move. They're cheap because they're made on factory lines. You really are paying for parts and not much more. There's just this threshold where a guitar's value skyrockets just because it was hand-made. Building overcomes that threshold.

You also don't want to go too cheap because you wanna make sure you're getting good stuff. You buy a $100 no-name brand and you might end up with some crap-tastic plywood body that isn't worth a damn. I got lucky finding my Squier Affinity for so cheap. It was really banged up. Scour craigslist for some deals. Used gear is nicer than new gear anyway. It's broken in
Quote by Seref
It's just that sub-$1000 guitars are priced to move. They're cheap because they're made on factory lines. You really are paying for parts and not much more. There's just this threshold where a guitar's value skyrockets just because it was hand-made. Building overcomes that threshold.

You also don't want to go too cheap because you wanna make sure you're getting good stuff. You buy a $100 no-name brand and you might end up with some crap-tastic plywood body that isn't worth a damn. I got lucky finding my Squier Affinity for so cheap. It was really banged up. Scour craigslist for some deals. Used gear is nicer than new gear anyway. It's broken in

You can buy a used squier any day of the week for under 75.00 used. In fact for 75.00 it won't even be beat up. new one is only 120.00

Shoot just a brief look on craigslist you can get a mint bullet squire, starter amp, hard case, and a stand all for 75.00 lol
Last edited by needler420 at Jul 10, 2010,
It's the type of Squier that counts. Supposedly, only the Made in America, Made in Japan, and Affinity series Squiers have solid alder/whatever bodies. Most others have plywood. That's why some are dirt cheap and some are upward for $250 new.
Okay, the computers thing is the same as guitars. Building a "meh" average nothing-special-about-it computer? You'd be better off buying.

Building a super-duper top-of-the-line gaming computer with an Intel Core i7, 8gigs of 2666mhz memory, 3 Terabytes of hard drive space@10,000 RPM with a 64-gig Solid-State drive for the boot volume, enthusiast overclocking mobo, water cooling system, HiFidelity surround sound sound card, and a pair of Radeon HD5870s in crossfire?

That computer will cost a ton of money to build, but it'll still be considerably cheaper than buying a computer of identical specs. Manufacturers always charge a premium for quality--be it with guitars, computers, or anything else.
It's not a matter of what you need, but what you want. Who in the world NEEDS a PRS Custom Shop guitar? No one NEEDS one, but I'd be damn happy to have one. Same with the computer. I've been building computers since I was young and I'm majoring in Computer Sciences. I'm into hardware and I'm always tuning my computer up and such. I don't need to, but I like it. I can't afford a computer build like the one in my last post, but if the money fell in my lap, would I? I'd definitely consider it.
Quote by Shinami

Check out bc rich guitars their designs are the least boring...if they don't have any at your store you can always go to musiciansfriend and order it online.
Quote by Shinami
Well the reason I wanna build my guitar is 1st of all the variety is ridiculously low.
No flying V's where I live, mostly it's just goddamn Ibanez. Also I have a CnC drilling machine so i assume it wouldn't be very hard. Now that I think about it there's almost nothing in my shop besides Ibanez, just one low end Washburn, a squier, 2 les pauls ( Epiphone and Grass Roots) , and one SG (Vintage). That's it if I recall correctly. No Esp's, Scheters, Jacksons, Deans.

The Vintage SG(presuming you mean the brand is Vintage) is pretty much on par with '79 Series Deans(albeit I take it you want a V?), the pickups are pretty similar to Dean Zebras and they're both mahogany/mahogany. But if you're looking for a high-end product and you know what you want, maybe building yourself'd be cheaper, and if you do it right you get bragging rights too. =P $1000 for a custom could be a heck of a lot better than a Gibson 3 times the price.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
If you want the experience of building a guitar, start with a kit. I have played with a couple of kit guitars and they are excellent. I built the bolt on strat knock off from guitar fetish and was actually pretty impressed. I would certainly upgrade the pickups and some of the hardware, but comparing it with my MIA Fender was really interesting. I would easily put that kit above any Squire that I have played as it comes stock.

In my opinion, it is a pretty good buy.

I have not built any of their other kits but plan on buying one for a fall project and playing with it.
im probably buying an LTD M-1000 or an ESP M-II after ive got rid of my schecter. Then when school starts I took long technical handwork (woodwork, whatever you wanna call it, but it includes metal shit aswell etc.) and im gna build a new body for my LTD M-100fm.

a question:

If I built that body as a fixed bridge style, but with the old LFR it has, and taking the sustain block off and having it as a fixed style bridge, would it destroy the sustain?
Quote by Shauntheawesome
Check out bc rich guitars their designs are the least boring...if they don't have any at your store you can always go to musiciansfriend and order it online.

BC Rich is.. Yuck. All those spykes and whatnot, are not for me.

Also I have most of if not all of the woodworking tools that I need. Also after talking with my dad he insists on making everything from scratch so that I'd have something unique, that no one else will ever have. I understand what he's coming at and I'd love that too, but cash is tight so either we are gonna wait till our countries shitty economy takes a turn to what it used to be (less shitty that is) or just gonna start and do everything veeery slowly.