I don't suppose there is any surefire way of telling right??
"Try to realize it's all within yourself, no one else can make you change. And to see you're really only very small, and life goes on within you and without you..."
solidbody guitars are often heavyier
and they feel solid
there are some like the les pauls that have a chambered body to make them lighter but i think they are still considered solid body electric
Get a drill.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
What do you mean exactly? Where it has chambers? Or if it's made of mdf or actual wood?

If it's the latter, check the neck pocket or the cavity.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
put you ear to the back of the body, hold if for 15 seconds if you hear a "ping" kind of sound get an onion and rub it just on the G B and LOW E strings, put the guitar on the ground resting on the bottom straplock spin the guitar 3 times counter clock wise and pick back up and listen to it again, after 10 seconds if it makes a swoosh sound then you know that it is for sure a hollow body.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Gibson only makes certain guitars currently that are unchambered and un-weight-relieved.

If you're looking for a specific brand, check up on their history to make sure.

Generally strat shaped guitars are solid, no chambers. Same with SGs.

LPs are weight relieved or chambered.

My Fernandes Ravelle was WAY lighter than my Ibanez Iceman IC200, both listed as solid mahogany. The Fernandes was also twice as loud played unamplified.

Generally you can tell by the feel. Learning the history of the specific brand will help a lot as well.
Quote by Atmarama
I don't suppose there is any surefire way of telling right??

post a pic. everyone should be able to tell ya in about 5 seconds....
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by da_
Solid!

How you can tell uncle?
"Try to realize it's all within yourself, no one else can make you change. And to see you're really only very small, and life goes on within you and without you..."
Yeah, If it's a Fender Strat, it will be solid. Some guitars may have a swimming pool route under the pickguard, and that will make them lighter. Along with the fact that strat guitars have the spring cavity where other non-trem guitars do not, it will make them lighter.

I know that my guitar (Epiphone Special II) isn't even wood all the way through, Most places it's plywood, it has some hollow spots under the 1/4" thick finish and little chunks of cheap real wood in other places, I found this out just by sanding the cavities out of the black paint (non-conductive) that they painted them with and routing the control cavity a little bigger.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
By solid wood I mean 1 piece... Are some strats not plywood (ie slabs of wood stuck together)? By rule of thumb strats are solid????
Quote by Atmarama
By solid wood I mean 1 piece... Are some strats not plywood (ie slabs of wood stuck together)? By rule of thumb strats are solid????

The only way you can tell if a body is a one piece is by removing the finish and looking to see if the body is made up of multiple pieces.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Atmarama

You are talking about 2 entirely different things. Plywood is thin sheets of wood glued together, 2 or three pieces of solid wood glued to make a single body is not plywood.

Most run of the mill guitars will be made of more than one piece. Single piece body blanks are expensive because they are cut from a big tree. The cheaper the guitar, the more pieces will make up the body as a rule of thumb.
Quote by the_white_bunny
put you ear to the back of the body, hold if for 15 seconds if you hear a "ping" kind of sound get an onion and rub it just on the G B and LOW E strings, put the guitar on the ground resting on the bottom straplock spin the guitar 3 times counter clock wise and pick back up and listen to it again, after 10 seconds if it makes a swoosh sound then you know that it is for sure a hollow body.

Red onion works best.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
mute the strings and knock on it if it sounds hollow, it is
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Personally, I'd use a shallot.

Preference for me, is Red Onion or a small bunch of fresh Spring Onions. Had not thought of using a Shallot, but then I'm not La Di Da....
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
It's a Squier, so it's either made of plywood or at least 3 pieces of solid wood. Most people can't tell the difference, so who cares?
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by Skeet UK
Preference for me, is Red Onion or a small bunch of fresh Spring Onions. Had not thought of using a Shallot, but then I'm not La Di Da....

has anyone ever considered pickled onions? i know it seems crazy but it really works better in my experience
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
^ Really? You must be doing it wrong then.. Pickling them will change their density and it won't work as well. I'd imagine the swooshing would be less of a swoosh, then, maybe more of a splat.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I'm really into using elephant garlic for this for its mild flavor and ideal diameter.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

no no no pickling causes vinegar (the liquid the onions are pickled in) to drip into the body itself and gives more for the vibrations to bounce off of thus a louder swoosh
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
I use horseradish. The fumes cause hollow bodies to shed a tear, but solid bodies are immune because they can't breathe.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
^^ makes sense showing the guitar a picture of a dead puppy works for this method aswell
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Damnit, now I have a hankering for Spam and Onions.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Easiest way to see if a Strat has a plywood body is to remove the pickguard and spring cover and look in the cavities. If you find an un-painted spot (or if it's not painted at all), you should be able to clearly see whether it's a solid block or whether it's multiple layers like plywood.
Quote by Baconfish
Damnit, now I have a hankering for Spam and Onions.

seriously though. wtf you cant rub onions on your guitat to see if it is hollow
Quote by Stugg334
I just started writing a metal solo, and so far I have:

*Hit Lead Button On Mesa*
*Spread legs to width of 160cm*
*Perform facial expression akin to that of having a woodpecker chip away at your rectum*
*Practice scales*

My greencaster =)
yeah... I guess that is true sometimes

Just look at the wood to tell, that's the answer.

And Jof, you know it was at least a little bit funny, even if it was spam

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
i'm gonna say take the neck off and look at the neck pocket, it'll show you the wood
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Quote by mark_wuk
You are talking about 2 entirely different things. Plywood is thin sheets of wood glued together, 2 or three pieces of solid wood glued to make a single body is not plywood.

Most run of the mill guitars will be made of more than one piece. Single piece body blanks are expensive because they are cut from a big tree. The cheaper the guitar, the more pieces will make up the body as a rule of thumb.

Thank you!