So on July 25th this year :P My band will be playing with Graves of Valor, which I am led to believe is quite popular.

I'm kinda nervous about playing with a band that, according to Myspace, has 600,000 fans.

Also they play Death Metal. My band plays punk and metal, but we aren't all that heavy.

Just nervous about playing with a big band in front of a ton of people that most likely won't like my band's music.

Anyway to shake off this nervousness?

Edit: Not just me, but my entire band is pretty nervous.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Jul 10, 2010,
play metal?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Avoid punk in the setlist. 95% of people who like death metal will like other metal subgenres. As long as you're headbanging away you will be fine.
Quote by pwrmax
Avoid punk in the setlist. 95% of people who like death metal will like other metal subgenres. As long as you're headbanging away you will be fine.

Well, we have a female singer, and she is obsessed with Paramore and strives for that sound in her voice. And tbh, it sounds great with our music.

Now, if we cut out the Punk songs and the songs that have really long clean bits, then we are left with one song.

As for the headbanging, we headbang to everything, so I guess we could get away with that.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Fuck that.

Don't listen to these guys, go out there and play your music. Be the band you are. They'll respect you more for unashamedly playing the music you like than for pretending to be something you're not. If it's really awkward get your frontwoman to make a joke about how you don't know what you're doing on this bill or something. Just have fun and enjoy playing your songs. The crowd will like you more for it.

Besides, just because they're at a metal gig doesn't mean they only like metal. If they whine about it then it's their problem, just laugh it off and keep going. You'll be fine.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Just wanted to say, how many Myspace friends that band has isn't the most reliable barometer of a band's popularity. A lot of those "friends" are not necessarily serious fans of the band, or even fans at all but spammers and idiots who try to collect as many Myspace friends as they can.

Far more telling factors would be the kind of venues they're playing and what kind of record deal they have. I checked out the Wikipedia entry for Graves of Valor. They're signed to Relapse and their first LP came out last year. I know nothing about modern death metal but I'm guessing this band is up-and-coming.

How big is this venue? Is it considerably bigger than most of the venues where you're playing at?
Quote by asator
Fuck that.

Don't listen to these guys, go out there and play your music. Be the band you are. They'll respect you more for unashamedly playing the music you like than for pretending to be something you're not. If it's really awkward get your frontwoman to make a joke about how you don't know what you're doing on this bill or something. Just have fun and enjoy playing your songs. The crowd will like you more for it.

Besides, just because they're at a metal gig doesn't mean they only like metal. If they whine about it then it's their problem, just laugh it off and keep going. You'll be fine.

I agree. Just to add to that, though.... how did you get this gig?

If the other band, or the promoter, or the club's talent buyer heard your band and still offered you the gig, then they must believe that your band will be a good fit with the other band. After all, they are in business to put on good shows that will attract and keep an audience. Screwing up is not in their best interest, and will invariably cost them money in some way.

If, on the other hand, you misrepresented yourself, then congratulations... you got what you asked for.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I agree. Just to add to that, though.... how did you get this gig?

If the other band, or the promoter, or the club's talent buyer heard your band and still offered you the gig, then they must believe that your band will be a good fit with the other band. After all, they are in business to put on good shows that will attract and keep an audience. Screwing up is not in their best interest, and will invariably cost them money in some way.

If, on the other hand, you misrepresented yourself, then congratulations... you got what you asked for.

CT

I see it all the time at gigs though. Bands that just don't fit at all on the same bill. The crowd ALWAYS goes with "wtf was the promoter thinking? Poor bands" rather than "wtf are these bands doing?! I WANT MORE DEATH METAL". If - of course - the bands are good enough. Hell, when I was 13 I was in a melodic death metal band and I ended up supporting a pop punk act. Everyone in the crowd I spoke to said we were good, just on the wrong bill. They blamed the promoter, not us. And the gig actually went pretty well, as I remember. And that was the heavier band supporting a catchier one. It should be easier the other way round. So TS, as long as you're tight as a band and you give it your all, the crowd will respect you for it. Don't sweat it, just go out and do your thing.

Besides...the hairy metal fans will bring their long-suffering girlfriends with them and they'll love you guys for playing "proper" music
Last edited by asator at Jul 10, 2010,
Well there are two options for you here, couple of examples for you.

You could do what Kings Of Leon did at Reading last year. They weren't getting a good reaction from the crowd, so they threw tantrums and stormed off the stage. This is pretty much the worst thing you could do.

The right option would be to do what Trivium did when I saw them supporting Slayer. They knew that a lot of the crowd wouldn't like them, but they played exactly the same, possibly better than they normally would, and still tried to get the crowd to jump and sing along, and I could see that they won people over who wouldn't normally listen to them, I seem to remember an older Slayer fan admitting to his son, "Yeah okay, they're pretty good."

Overall, accept that the crowd might not like you and you might get some abuse but play on regardless, and even though you're not playing to the most open minded music fans, you really never know who might enjoy your music.
Quote by asator
Fuck that.

They'll get bottlled, we are talking death metal fans

Death metal + female punk singer
Quote by Guitarbaddie
So on July 25th this year :P My band will be playing with Graves of Valor, which I am led to believe is quite popular.

I'm kinda nervous about playing with a band that, according to Myspace, has 600,000 fans.

Also they play Death Metal. My band plays punk and metal, but we aren't all that heavy.

Just nervous about playing with a big band in front of a ton of people that most likely won't like my band's music.

Anyway to shake off this nervousness?

Edit: Not just me, but my entire band is pretty nervous.

well, ive never heard of that band and ive seen more extreme cases

im colombian and weve being getting lots of awsome shows lately

KISS was opened by a band that should opened for all time low or something like that

METALLICA was opened by a band that shouldv opened for limp bizkit

GUNS N ROSES was opened by a band that shouldv opened for idk, maybe bryan adams?

in the last 2 people just waved their hands saying good bye and made buuu at them

in the first one the same thing happened except that the drummer reacted pretty badly and threw a drumstick into a chick's face, therefore people responded back with coins

But you are saying me that you are still metal,and you arent opening for...MEGADETH for example, so id just say to go and do it and consider not playing punk stuff (i love punk but its what im telling you)

and the examples that i gave were not to panic you, they were so that you compare opening for really big bands
Quote by Cerelil
They'll get bottlled, we are talking death metal fans

Death metal + female punk singer

Bullshit.
Yeah, I've never seen a band get bottled in my life, and I've seen over 100 recording acts, never mind all the indie acts and such along the way.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.