I am looking to get a tone similar to that of George Lynch with a little bit of Steve Vai on the side. I will be using the amp with delay, reverb in the loop and the usual stuff in front of the amp along with a Boss SD-1 to tighten up the gain.

So I already have both a 5150II and a Marshall JCM 900 4500. Both has their own set of pros and cons. The Peavey has enough saturation and gain (well almost more than enough). However, it seems to be a little muddy. The 900 has the clarity and attack I like, but it lacks the general saturation I desire. I am thinking: sell the 5150II and use the money from that to send in the 900 to voodooamps.com and get the standard metal mod which removes the reverb circuitry and puts in a "saturation pot." However, maybe selling the 900 and having the 5150II modded by FJA is the way to go.

Also, maybe selling both amps and getting something new is the way to go.
Try messing around a little more with the EQ of the Peavey. Maybe even buy a 10 or 15 band EQ to stick in the effects loops to dial out the muddiness.

What about your guitar? Do you use the tone knobs often?
Sell both, buy a JCM800 and use the SD-1 as a boost or buy a TS7 to be more like Lynch and you're pretty much there.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by pwrmax
Try messing around a little more with the EQ of the Peavey. Maybe even buy a 10 or 15 band EQ to stick in the effects loops to dial out the muddiness.

What about your guitar? Do you use the tone knobs often?

ESP M-II, kinda lacking the tone knob lol.
Pretty sure George Lynch uses/used a Soldano SLO, a Randall RM series (Lynchbox) and Splawn...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
He used Marshalls in Dokken, Soldanos in Lynch Mob, now he uses his sig Randalls, but everything i've heard with him playing the Randalls sound like shite.

Edit: I'm not dissing Randall, I use an RM100 and it sounds great, but his tone now is pretty bad.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
vai uses a pink slo. it's tolexed from a evh jumpsuit. true story.

Vai uses a Carvin Legacy or Legacy II. They're his signature amps and they're relatively inexpensive for being an artist signature and the quality of tone they produce.