So I'm thinking about making my own guitar cables but I'm apparently not seeing what everyone else is saying about how it's more economical. Basically, I'm looking at this:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=5598

$0.73/feet + 2 plugs at a few dollars each. A 10' cable still comes out to ~$15 but you have to assemble it yourself. Now that probably would be a good idea to make your own patch cables for effect pedals seeing as those are all $10-15 for a 6" cable.

So where do you guys get your cables wire and plugs? Which wire do you use? What plugs do you use?
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
i'm interested to hear about this too.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
As in making guitars, making your own cables is not necessarily the cheapest option (at least to begin with). But you get quality cables which will last practically forever, if you know what you're doing and use quality parts. This way you can also repair your cable if for example a contact comes loose inside a jack (which happens quite a lot with cheap cables). Jacks in cheap cables are usually molded and you can't open them without breaking them in pieces. Quality cables also don't attenuate your signal or make hiss or crackle noise.

I use Cordial CIK 122 SW instrument cable with Neutrik NP2RX-B angled jack on the other end (amp) and Neutrik NP2X-AU-SILENT on the guitar end. The silent plug has a "...integrated switch which automatically mutes (shorts) a guitar cable to avoid annoying pops and squeals when hot swapping guitars." I've found this to be a rather nice feature.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!
How's that for a compliment =)

My recordings
It isn't really a money saver to make your own cables. I used to make up leads for a local guitar shop 30 years ago but the cost of parts has gone up and the cost of ready made has fallen so it costs much the same. If you buy 100m reels of cable and boxes of plugs then it makes sense but do you need 20 guitar leads?

You should always pay the extra for decent quality leads if you ever play in public.

However if you ignore costs then it is a good idea to make up leads as you learn to solder and how it all works. You can then repair leads and save money that way. A good way to start is to scavenge any broken leads band members have. Cut the cable about 6" from each plug and you have some free cable. Buy some plugs and away you go.

I'd also add a plug for the Neutric silent plug. They are brilliant, so your first project could be to cut off a plug and replace it with one of these.

Have fun
Quote by Phil Starr
It isn't really a money saver to make your own cables. I used to make up leads for a local guitar shop 30 years ago but the cost of parts has gone up and the cost of ready made has fallen so it costs much the same. If you buy 100m reels of cable and boxes of plugs then it makes sense but do you need 20 guitar leads?

You should always pay the extra for decent quality leads if you ever play in public.

However if you ignore costs then it is a good idea to make up leads as you learn to solder and how it all works. You can then repair leads and save money that way. A good way to start is to scavenge any broken leads band members have. Cut the cable about 6" from each plug and you have some free cable. Buy some plugs and away you go.

I'd also add a plug for the Neutric silent plug. They are brilliant, so your first project could be to cut off a plug and replace it with one of these.

Have fun

The silent plugs, are notorious for failure, they will fail on you avoid them like the plague.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33