i was told to tune the a and d up a step and the g up a half step, is this the normal open e? and would it hurt my neck to tune up that high?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Yep that's open E for you (Think about it, when you grab a standard E chord, what frets do you press?)
It depends on your string guage really. I've been able to tune to open G (both E strings go up a step and a half, A string up a step) just fine on .10s.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
here`s where the theory comes in you need to know the notes of the E Major scale then extrapolate the E Major chord from that which would be the 1,3 and 5 and apply them to the tuning therefore E, G sharp, and A .

so your tuning would be E,A,E,G#,A,E...i think
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 10, 2010,
yeah i know how tuning them up would give me the chord and everything i just didn't know you tuned up for any of them, i'd been tuning down for open g haha
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Quote by ibanezgod1973

so your tuning would be E,A,E,G#,A,E...i think

E,B,E,G#,B,E ;-)
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Open E is one of the coolest alternative tunings (imo) you can get some funky sounds with it or by using a slide or even just pressing down only one string.(check out the song Say it to me now by Glen Hansard) The lighter the gauge as in .09 or .10 the less likely it will break, unless you havent changed your strings for about 5 months. I tend to fool around (and go mental) with really awkward tunings just before im gonna change strings, so in case they break its no biggie.
It might throw your set up off. Many variables to consider.

good advise above....tune to D and add a capo....easier and better for your guitar.
Quote by Azunaii
E,B,E,G#,B,E ;-)

shit i need to learn to count to 5, lol. i should relearn the scale
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 10, 2010,
I just tried it on my acoustic and it was fine. I'd imagine the same on an electric.
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!