Please don't insult me, I'm just looking for answers

I've played guitar for about a year and a half now, and I play alot of thrash metal (MEGADETH as a rythym guitarist in a band with my friends.

Alright so just about every guitarist under the sun knows chords, but why are they so useful?

For example , as a fan of 80's thrash/heavy metal (where chords are barely ever used) don't reall think I need to know them. Isn't it enough to know the ABCDEFG power chord positions?
t why are they so important? anyone who can provide an explanation of their significance, that would be appreciated

I read somwhere, "To not learn chords is to fail as a guitarist, whatever genre you play" Bu
So convince me, why should I learn chords, even now after playing for almost two years?

Also I think you'd get some better answers if you posted this in the Musician talk forum.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jul 10, 2010,
Even though you play thrash metal it definatley would not hurt to learn more chords than just the standard power chords. It took me over a year of playing guitar to actually want to learn as many chords as possible because it broadens the possibilities of riffs you can create. Btw I am a metalhead too and since learning chords my playing has improved alot!
Dig a tunnel of light through ignorant walls
Quote by Jimmy-G
Even though you play thrash metal it definatley would not hurt to learn more chords than just the standard power chords. It took me over a year of playing guitar to actually want to learn as many chords as possible because it broadens the possibilities of riffs you can create. Btw I am a metalhead too and since learning chords my playing has improved alot!

thanks man I can identify with you as another metalhead. But how did it improve your playing exactly?
There are tons of reasons. Besides all that, don't you have the desire to improve as a guitarist/musician?
I personally always want to learn as much as possible and it bothers me when there are things I dont know or i am not able to do.

Before playing guitar I was quite a metalhead too, but then i explored also other genres like flamenco and blues and really love them today. There is so much enjoyable stuff out there if you get into it.
Expanding your horizons can never harm, i think and learning chords in general isnt SUCH a big deal.

Now a little bit more specific.

One more reason for knowing chords would be that you can also apply extended chords while using high gain. You can split a chord and let the notes be played by the guitarist and bassist, so that it still sounds fine.

This way you can get more interesting sounds. Only Powerchords will probably get boring and overused to your ears.

Knowing Chords and their tones will also improve your soloing and songwriting.
Last edited by Blutrot at Jul 10, 2010,
What sets western (or European) music apart from that of Middle Eastern cultures and Asia is that historically it developed means to control and direct harmony (chords).
The bulk of the music you probably listen two has three fundamental building blocks: melody, harmony and rhythm. You need to understand how each works.