I hope this is the right place to post this........

My current sound card is the Creative Audigy 2 ZS with external box for recording.

In a few months I am going to be looking at getting a new sound card.

The reason for this is because unfortunately the current recording box picks up noise from the system when using guitar rig.

This noise cannot be eliminated and when using guitar rig's noise reduction when switched on sits at half way or more depending on the preset!!!

Although I could probably overcome this problem by getting a preamp for the guitar and pushing the guitar volume well over the noise volume, I would much rather get a minimal-noise sound card.

So having that in mind and a budget of $500-700, what is a great sound card for excluding interference/system noise, etc....?

P.S.

As a huge favour, could all you guitar rig users please post a screenshot of where your 'in' and 'out' volume sits. (at the top of the window)

You would REALLY be helping me out.
I would actually post this question in the Recordings and Riffs forum. Peeps will be all over it. THey will help. IF they don't PM me. I'll ask a mod to move it over there.

otherwise, i think you need a 64 floating bit dual core compatible sound card with usb and firewire
just get an interface, it eliminates the need of a computers internal soundcard. It will not give you noise interfence (unless placed near a tv or comp monitor in some cases), it will make guitar rig sound 100000 times better. And in your price range you can get something really nice like a profire 610 or something. BTW why would need to spend 500-700 on a soundcard alone?
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
because i read on another forum that thats how much you need to spend to get a low-noise soundcard.

thanks for the advice, i wasn't quite sure what you meant by "interface" until i looked up your suggestion.

thanks mate.

If anybody else has something to add please do.
Sorry dude just a quick question, how do these interfaces work in conjunction with your soundcard?

I see the profire has outputs, but they are the thick ones (whatever they're called) and if you are supposed to hook it with firewire how does the audio pass through?

thanks again
well, first things first.. is your pc properly grounded? Because that would be the first thing I'd check, especially since putting money into a different sound card / interface wont help with noise coming from a crap wall plug.
well what do you mean? i've never heard of a PC being grounded before.
I had some of your problems back in the day but i overcame them pretty easy. Just to explain I am using an MSI GT740 (this is my computer). I plug the guitar direct into the Line in with no effects added before the PC. Then I set up from the options - Asio sound drivers working on 512 samples at 48000Hz with Latency Compensation In: 0 samples Out: 0 samples and a Buffer offset 4 ms. Then I restarted the computer and what you know with no effects there was no broom at all.

P.S. but keep in mind that if you put like 3 distortions 1 amp and other effects it is necessary to have a Noise reducer because the more effects the more unnecessary noise. Try it and post back.
YES!!!!!!!! NO NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The noise disappeared.......

However.... I can't get too too excited yet........... I don't have my guitar cable here at the moment so i cant try the guitar.

Im assuming that it will still pick up the guitar though. I'm saying thank you in advance I just hope it works when the i get my cable back!!!!!

edit: I get my cable back tomorrow
Last edited by meneedit at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by meneedit

So having that in mind and a budget of $500-700, what is a great sound card for excluding interference/system noise, etc....?

You get noise due to impedance, which your sound card and guitar mismatch.
on your budget you can get a good interface with phantom power will not only get rid of the noise but also give you a nice quality sound, if not pro.

Quote by meneedit
Sorry dude just a quick question, how do these interfaces work in conjunction with your soundcard?

thanks again

Many interfaces has a USB cable that you can plug into the back or front of your computer.
You can think of this as an external Soundcard that you have more control over.
also, once you install the drivers for your interface (these more than likely will come on a disk) your computer will automatically read it as a sound device.
thus meaning you can plug speakers or headphones and receive sound.
I was on only a $100 budget so my equipment more than likely wont match to yours but here is an example

from your budget, more than likely it would be best for a foot controller or firewire
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
No it didnt work

F**k, here I was thinking I might not have to spend any money.

When i switched it from 'creative asio' to 'asio4all' it knocked out the noise but that is because it doesn't have the line-ins.
Quote by meneedit
No it didnt work

F**k, here I was thinking I might not have to spend any money.

When i switched it from 'creative asio' to 'asio4all' it knocked out the noise but that is because it doesn't have the line-ins.

just go ahead and get an interface. you won't regret it.
i gotta work toward getting some good monitors now.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics