I am having a serious GAS attack so basically i just need to spend some cash.

I own an Orange Crush Pix 20, a Line 6 Spider IV and a PRS SE Singlecut. I have about 400 pounds to spend. What should i do with the 400 pounds?

Get my guitar set up professionally?
Upgrade my amp (looking at a blackstar ht5)?
Upgrade my pickups (Bareknuckles)?
Change the nut on my guitar?
Change the tuners?

I only play in my bedroom and mainly play classic rock (plus a bit of metal once in a while).

Thanks in advance for all your replies!
It won't cost £400 to change the nut and tuners on the PRS SE. Apparently the SE has issues with the nut and tuning (from what I've read) so perhaps get that done and spend whatever is left on a better amp.

EDIT: Look at a graphite nut and locking tuners.
all apart from amp.. failing that - don't get bkp's... although to be honest, a good nut isn't much, tuners aren't a ton and the set up won't cost much so if you can manage that at under £200 (should be able) then you can buy the pups, get an amp when time comes

HELLO!

how does my orange amp compare to an amp i can buy for about 300-400 pounds? wouldnt an amp upgrade be a more logical choice?

i mean like i dont exactly have a prob with the playability of my guitar (sure it goes out of tune after a week but i just retune it. no biggie.)

or wouldnt pickups be a better choice seeing that im seeking better sound rather than a guitar that plays marginally better (it already feels fantastic in my hands)?
Sell the orange, sell the Line 6, and get a £700 amp.

WIN
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I have the Orange Crush PIX 20 and also a Fender Super Champ which cost around £230. The difference is the tube, so a £400 amp will be a vast improvement on the PIX. It'll simply provide you with better 'truer' tone.
Quote by JamesLPs
all apart from amp.. failing that - don't get bkp's... although to be honest, a good nut isn't much, tuners aren't a ton and the set up won't cost much so if you can manage that at under £200 (should be able) then you can buy the pups, get an amp when time comes

Wait, don't get Bareknuckle Pickups? Do explain...
For £400 I would have thought you could do all of those things apart from getting a new amp, and if your only playing in you're bedroom then that orange should be fine.
Get rid of the amps and get a better one. Or why not get a decent tube amp with a good pedal board. Maybe a Orange Tiny Terror if you lucky enough or spend a bit off the £400 to get one. Save the rest for a better guitar.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jul 10, 2010,
what amp would you suggest then? and whats wrong with bareknuckles? keep in mind i live in a flat in central london so volume may be an issue.
Quote by LP_CL

This. A new amp will have the biggest impact on your tone and the Crush and Spiders are generally considered around here to be sub-par amps. You'd probably be better off selling them and adding it to your budget to get a really great amp.

As for pickups definitely take a look at Bareknuckles. A lot of American users consider them overpriced as once you factor in international shipping and the exchange rate they turn out a lot more expensive but, while they're still not cheap, as you're in England you'll save a lot comparatively on shipping (And they're priced in £'s). They really are absolutely fantastic pickups. I don't think I could ever go back to anything else.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
i cant justify spending more than 400 pounds on an amp at my current level. what would you recommend at that price range. ive heard good things about the blackstar ht5
Quote by justintga
i cant justify spending more than 400 pounds on an amp at my current level. what would you recommend at that price range. ive heard good things about the blackstar ht5

Lots to choose from:

Orange Tiny Terror
Blackstar HT-5
Vox AC4TV
Blackheart Little Giant
Marshall Class-5
Peavey Valveking
etc... etc...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Y00p
Wait, don't get Bareknuckle Pickups? Do explain...

I meant if he couldn't afford the BKPS, setup, tuners and nut then don't get the BKPs..

HELLO!

Quote by daverichards
buy my blackstar & cab ?
£250 this weekend!

get this. Then with left over money get Irongear pickups. They're really cheap but sounds great. Only £25-35 per pickup.
http://www.irongear.co.uk/
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by LP_CL

WIN

+1

and do the nut and tuners thing if you're having tuning problems.

EDIT: how much classic rock and how much metal do you play? what do you mean by both classic rock and metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i play mostly classic rock. GnR that kinda thing. and venture into metal once in a while.

haha so im getting mixed responses instead of a general consensus.
Quote by JamesLPs
I meant if he couldn't afford the BKPS, setup, tuners and nut then don't get the BKPs..

Got ya!
Quote by justintga
i play mostly classic rock. GnR that kinda thing. and venture into metal once in a while.

haha so im getting mixed responses instead of a general consensus.

blackstar ht-5 is nice for classic rock and metal. u could also check out a vox night train
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by daverichards
buy my blackstar & cab ?
£250 this weekend!

This.

Seriously for bedroom "rock" is no better set up on your budget.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by musk
pickups... then amp in my opinion....

there is no point in getting new pickups if they are just gonna go though a pants amp!! thats needs to be the other way round really. get the ht-5s mini stack!! bout 400 quid in most shops and online and it sounds the nuts!!
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.