I have a squier Tele with an F-hole. The guitar was not particularly expensive so I thought about modding or should I say changing it a bit.

It has a clear laquer so you can see the grain of the wood underneath.. My question is:

If I sand the laquer off and leave the body raw will that be bad for the guitar? I know that it will probably be more vulnerable to humidity and sweat but is that bad?

Thanks in advance

Alex
My friend sanded off some chunks of the finish on his strat copy and it's been like a year and nothing bad has happened. If you do it you should probably coat it with some sort of clear varnish or oil to protect it.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
If you do it you should probably coat it with some sort of clear varnish or oil to protect it.

This. There are some Gibsons which are like that and I doubt that Gibson would build guitars which are about to break down on you.
raw just looks kinda ugly..

i think it should have something on it just to protect it but other than that i cant really see a problem
Okay the general feel is not to it then.. Or at least coat it again with something else.

Thanks guys
if you're on about playing it whilst there's no clear coat then that's not a great idea - the clear coat is there for a reason...

If you're asking whether it's okay to leave say a project guitar unfinished for a few months - sure.

HELLO!

just throw some tongue or linseed oil on it.

should look very natural and remain well protected.

you can look up on google how to properly apply common oils and the difference between different oils as well. its a pretty easy process.

if the finish comes out just a hair too glossy in the end you can lightly rub it down with some emery paper to dull the finish.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Not only do you risk warping (which may not be a huge issue but on a cheap guitar you cant exactly guarantee the woods are stable) but also raw wood will get dirty very easily.

Quote by DarkValo666
This. There are some Gibsons which are like that and I doubt that Gibson would build guitars which are about to break down on you.
Well they've been releasing guitars with inadequate headstock construction for the past however many years...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Just use some Satin clear-coat. It doesn't affect the colour that much, from my experiences with it. It darkens it by the tiniest bit, but then again... I tested it on some plywood to see this, and lost the piece before I could see it dry.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Absent Mind
Not only do you risk warping (which may not be a huge issue but on a cheap guitar you cant exactly guarantee the woods are stable) but also raw wood will get dirty very easily.

Well they've been releasing guitars with inadequate headstock construction for the past however many years...

~50 - give or take 5 years.

HELLO!

I can't say I agree with a lot of the posts here. First, and biggest problem, is this is a Tele Thinline. The top of the guitar is more like an accoustic guitar. The top is probably only a 1/8" thick. This could definately warp. It not like if you has no finishing on a strat which is very thick.

The second problem with be dirt and chemical, including skin oil that would collect in the grain of the guitar and discolor it quickly. And if wouldn't look cool and retro, it would just look nasty.

At least oil the top. The back is probably more immuned to warpping and dirt, but the top is a problem.