I'm currently learning Erotomania by Dream Theater. I've got everything up to the first solo pretty much done, and the solo up to around 70% speed, but the picking lick at the end of the first solo still escapes me, and I can only do it cleanly and relaxed at around 50% of the actual speed.

Is it worth it to practice the same lick for a long period of time, lets say.. 3 hours straight for a few days until I get it up to speed? Or should I just move on with the rest of the song and practice the lick say.. 30 mins a day?

Or maybe I should move on to something else, seeing that I already have trouble with the first solo and I have virtually no hope at completing the third solo (maintained fast picking and string skipping for quite a long time) in 1-2 months?

I really want to get the song done.
Quote by Timothongz

Is it worth it to practice the same lick for a long period of time, lets say.. 3 hours straight for a few days until I get it up to speed? Or should I just move on with the rest of the song and practice the lick say.. 30 mins a day?

I'd suggest the latter. It just works better for some reason.
I once picked a song which I liked very much. But I couldn't play the intro. Basically, for around 5 months I was practicing it, in return, I not only learned to play it perfectly, it also greatly improved my speed, left hand-right hand coordination. So if you like it.. I guess you should practice when you want to.
Here's a neet trick when trying to learn difficult and/or fast solos licks and such:
Learn the lick/solo at low speed lets say at 80 bpm. Then move on and play it trough
at a 100 bpm for 30 - 40 min. (disregard any errors). Then 120 bpm, and so fourth until
you reach speed where its impossiple for you to play it (but still try it) Then go back to lesser speed and fell the magic at work....

BTW: It's a trick used by John Petrucci himself.
The only problem with practicing a lick over and over like that is that if there's anything wrong with the way you're playing it, you'll ingrain the incorrect way in your muscle memory. It wouldn't be a bad idea to at least take your hands off the guitar and shake them out or flex them between each time you play it.

Kinda like if you're working on your golf swing you shouldn't just stand in one spot and hit balls over and over, because you're more likely to keep repeating anything you're doing wrong. After each shot you should step back and line up your next shot, then get into position and swing.