So a while back I bought a 600W system, not realising that with the Ohm rating on the speakers that brought the output down to somewhere near 190W per side, which is barely enough to get over everything.

So I've tried selling it and no one wants it. So is there anything I can add on top to help it out.

It consists of:
600W Pulse power amp
Ashton Mixer (this is actually not bad)
2x 112 speakers. Rated 8Ohm 250W max.

I was wondering if I picked up another of the same power amp and ran the speakers from the mono output on each speaker? Because then it's not splitting the load we might get a bit more out of it?

I dunno my knowledge of such things is pretty minimal.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

What speakers do you have? What are their impedances and how have you connected them?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Intimidation AKA112's. 250W 8Ohm. Connected using speaker cable (the one where the jack is like a circle within a circle, dunno what they're called)
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Well first, a couple of things... I wish there was a PA dedicated subforum on UG... and there's a mantra called "buy once cry once."

Basically, don't buy cheap (i.e., low quality cheap, you can get good cheap used high quality in some cases.) I can't find any info on this "Pulse 600W" power amp. Also, those speakers seem to be 250w peak, which means program is 125w and RMS is 62.5W. Weak.

Since you're using a separate power amp, the Ashton should be fine for now. I would get either a QSC GX3 or GX5 power amp. They have a 6 year transferable manufacturer warranty if you register online. The GX3 is 300w/ch at 8 ohms while the GX5 is 500w/ch at 8 ohms. The GX3 does 425w/ch at 4 ohms while the GX5 can do 700w/ch at 4 ohms. This make the GX5 very expandable -- you can use it to hook up 4 Yamaha Club V 12" speakers total!

Yamahas 12" speakers are 175/350/700, and the 15" are 250/500/1000. Those numbers mean RMS/Program/Peak. You match amps based on the middle, the program number. The QSC GX5 is great because it has a built in crossover you can enable or disable, so when you expand your system you can add another QSC GX5, and use one GX5 for stage left and one for stage right, and each one will power a sub and a main. And for loud rock, you will want subs later down the road.

Now, something that would work well right off the bat for you is getting a QSC GX3 ($300 brand new, less on ebay, and like I said, transferable warranty) and one or two Yamaha Club SM12V, which runs $340 brand new at musiciansfriend. I say one or two because if you can't afford both along with the power amp right away, get the one speaker and save as fast as you can for the second. You won't regret it. Later, when you want say a GX5 and two 15's for mains, you can route two monitor sends into the GX3 and have separate monitor mixes.

QSC has a very strong reputation for their amps and Yamaha Club series speakers have been a staple for live bands for years and years, you just can't go wrong with them.

EDIT :My apologies, just noticed where you're from. I don't know if you can get the same prices on the gear I listed, but you will want about those same specs in the gear you get.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by derekgray at Jul 10, 2010,
^ Very helpful post, thanks anyway.

On a hugely limited budget though (i.e 2/3 of it isn't my money)
Is there a cheaper fix than buying a whole new set of speakers & a power amp?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Hmm, could you post a manual or something for the amp you have? Like I said I couldn't find anything on it, but if I could see the specs and plugs on that I'd be glad to help...
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
You want to run at 4 ohms then? Get another pair of 8 ohm cabs and run them in parallel.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's a fairly weak amplifier. Granted, it would take 2000W to be twice as loud as 200W that your amp offers per channel, but there is a pretty noticeable difference between 200W and 500W a channel. A +3db (and a little more) difference -- if only for the headroom it gives you.

What kind of budget do you have to work with? I think the best step you could take is to first upgrade the speakers, because what you have now is just not going to cut it. As long as you guys know not to run the amp into constant clipping, you'll be fine with getting some more powerful speakers and just upgrade the amp later. Even if it is only one speaker at a time. I would still highly recommend the SM12V.

http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-live-sound/yamaha-sm12v-passive-wedge-monitor--37993
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Make sure I've got the question right, you've got PA power that delivers down to 4 ohms a side and you aren't getting full power because your speaks are 8 Ohm? Right.

GO buy another pair of 8 Ohm speakers and plug them in and you'll now have 4 Ohms per side, for max power and more speakers. Declare WIN and play soundtrack for closing credits!
Quote by Ronsonic
Make sure I've got the question right, you've got PA power that delivers down to 4 ohms a side and you aren't getting full power because your speaks are 8 Ohm? Right.

GO buy another pair of 8 Ohm speakers and plug them in and you'll now have 4 Ohms per side, for max power and more speakers. Declare WIN and play soundtrack for closing credits!

If he were to plug both of his current speakers into one side he would get even less wattage per speaker than he already is. Right now he would get 200W to each speaker. In the 4ohm, 2 speaker/ch. configuration, he would receive 150W to each speaker.

They need the speakers to be loud enough to cut through the band.

It's an issue of 1.) the speakers are so weak at 62.5w continuous/250w peak, and 2.) the amp is weak, so if they plugged in better speakers with higher power handling they would need to make damn sure they don't crank the amp into clipping because they want more volume.

Really, should just save up 760 pounds and order a GX3 with a couple of SM12Vs, to make for a proper monitor setup. Also, toning down on the instruments' volume wouldn't hurt either.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I've done lots and lots of gigs with a 400W PA - that's 200W per side. I've filled some pretty big spaces with it too. Add a couple more bins and you'll be sweet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification