...this one's bound to divide opinion! But I'm not interested in any way in people's prejudices concerning 'How a real Strat should be', 'I hate Slipknot/Jim Root' mindless chat or other petty, conservative, small-minded or 'stuck in the past' opinions concerning how the Fender Strat tradition has been bastardised! There will be plenty of these of course, I'm just not remotely interested in any of it! All I'm interested in is how well the thing plays/feels including how heavy it is in comparison to a more standard Alder/Ash Body Strat and the tonal character and range of this beast...oh, and FWIW I personally think the matt black version with black ebony inlay-free fretboard and minimalist controls looks freakin' awesome and is the first Strat I've ever seen that I like the look of, but you don't give a damn what I think and that's fine by me

Best pics I've seen here:
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars-1/electric-guitars-2/fender-artist-jim-root-stratocaster-flat-black-1696.html

- as far as I'm concerned the fact it's a Fender is irrelevant (always disliked the Strat anyway), it's the spec that is of most interest and is VERY different to any other Strat whether custom shop, artist signature, or any other out there...
Mahogany Body, Ebony Fingerboard, Matt Finish paint, EMG's, No Tone Circuit, and most importantly, a Charvel inspired 12"-16" compound radius neck......the one thing I would lose aesthetically is the 70's headstock but again that's purely my personal taste...

mamaumunga
Last edited by mamaumunga at Jul 10, 2010,
I strongly considered getting one of these but just couldnt get over the price. I went with a Schecter Blackjack ATX instead and couldnt be happier. It's every bit as good of quality as my American Strat, and has the specs I wanted. Plus, it looks more "Metal" than this Root strat does. I like the look of the Root except for the headstock. Good spec'd guitar though
personally it's the type of strat I would buy since I wouldn't have to do a major modding session with it.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
@Punk_Ninja - Nope, they were announced by Fender in Jan to debut at the NAMM 2010

http://blog.dv247.com/namm-2010-fender-news-part-2/6416/

@GuitarDTO - as usual they were released at an inflated price but can now be acquired at considerably less - I'm in the UK where they are available at £749 and I have found another at £699...that's pretty competitive and very close to the Tele price. Nice choice on the Schecter btw, and I agree looks more metal. Glad you're happy and enjoying

mamaumunga
Last edited by mamaumunga at Jul 10, 2010,
Wow he tunes to drop A and Drop B on a 25.5" scale guitar?

I know it's doable, but why not just get a baritone instead?

Oh well, it looks cool, but i'd never buy it, maybe the tele and swap out the pups.
Quote by siverstorm
Wow he tunes to drop A and Drop B on a 25.5" scale guitar?

I know it's doable, but why not just get a baritone instead?

Oh well, it looks cool, but i'd never buy it, maybe the tele and swap out the pups.

Good question.

The answer is that he probably has his set up from the factory to handle it. Whether or not the production guitars can do it is another question.
@Ippon - Tele is def MIM, but I've seen a number of posts elsewhere that claim this Strat is MIA and states so on the back of headstock...

@Tedward - I hear you, I like the white too, just think the black on black with black fretboard and hardware has a 'certain something'...you may be right the white EMGs would set the white version off better...LOL you racist you

@RPGoof - def not a Slipknot fan myself, but Root seems to have some decent ideas when it comes to his guitars and I like that he's not into plastering his signatures with his name etc, unlike many others - tasteful I think.

@obeythepenguin - def agree...and though the EMGs look great in this guitar, it prob wouldn't be long before I had to have them out!

@Nightgaunt - well Root himself is to be found regularly saying his signature is identical to what he uses...take that for what you will

@siverstorm - v good question...maybe it's not 'metal enough' lol