I'm a newbie to guitar, but not to music. the guitar will the fourth instrument i play so i read music well.
I'm feeling frustrated with the lack of music i can find online. It seems all i can find is tabs which bugs me. I've been making due with chordal music, but my question is, is there good free sheet music available for MODERN music? Or do i have to pay for it or create it myself?
Stop whining!

Not often. TABs are generally a lot easier for guitar music as it tells you where to play rather than which note, as there are multiple ways of playing each note. If you get Powertab or Tux Guitar (or pay for Guitar Pro) they show both TAB and standard notation and you can find many transcriptions on here.
Last edited by uk.mace at Jul 10, 2010,
Thanks, I was expecting a response like that, but i had to try anyway.
Get tux guitar, use guitar pro. Then you get the sheet musics ^__^
Also, GP tabs etc etc are generally better tabs + music.
Guitar Pro and Powertab automatically make sheet music from tabs.

But since there are so many ways to play one note, I can't help but think you'll limit yourself if you stick to just sheet music.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
But since there are so many ways to play one note, I can't help but think you'll limit yourself if you stick to just sheet music.

Doesn't that make it less limiting?
Just use powertab or guitarpro, it'll have treble clef and tabs on it
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
There are a few sheet music sites around, but most of them don't have guitar scores. Your best bet is to learn to read tab, or else learn songs by ear.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by jsepguitar

/signed

He was I am sure referring to playing a lead on a song, but since the guy has played music for so long on so many different instruments I am sure that he will notice the next few notes as he reads along and position his hand in the best place for him to achieve the next few or more notes as he reads along.

On a sidenote, I wish I could read sheet music like reading a good book.. But havent the patience for it
I find tabs very limited more limited than sheet music, at least. I am already aware that you can play a single note various places and that it what i find so fascinating about the guitar.
I can read tabs, i just find it frustrating that i have to practically rely on it as a beginner guitarist to make any sort of progress.

And also so far i've yet to hear a sound reason to rely on tabs. I keep hearing that that i'm whining because i expect something more and that seems sort of unfair. And tabs are just random notes unless you are already familiar with a meoldy which is a hinderance.

Tabs are cool, but i think its very shortsided to depend on them exclusively.

And thank y'all for your info on guitar tax and etc, and definately going to look into that.
I play piano, trumpet and guitar. I've read music notation for 39 years.

Tabs are WAY BETTER for guitar. Music is as much about feeling as it is what note to play. Music notation has locked itself into a stifling 19th century mechanical box.

The worse tabs/chords for guitars are those written by those who translate from music notation. They are afraid to add something like 'give the whammy bar a good tug'. they also don't understand fretboard logistics...it's not a stifling self-limiting keyboard.

Music notation is mostly pompous crud when it's for guitar.
Quote by Raptorfingers
I play piano, trumpet and guitar. I've read music notation for 39 years.

Tabs are WAY BETTER for guitar. Music is as much about feeling as it is what note to play. Music notation has locked itself into a stifling 19th century mechanical box.

The worse tabs/chords for guitars are those written by those who translate from music notation. They are afraid to add something like 'give the whammy bar a good tug'. they also don't understand fretboard logistics...it's not a stifling self-limiting keyboard.

Music notation is mostly pompous crud when it's for guitar.

Won't say I agree completely there, but you've got a point.

And I LOVE your sig
HAHA, no seriously. What DO you use a signature for?
Quote by jjirwin
I find tabs very limited more limited than sheet music, at least. I am already aware that you can play a single note various places and that it what i find so fascinating about the guitar.
I can read tabs, i just find it frustrating that i have to practically rely on it as a beginner guitarist to make any sort of progress.

And also so far i've yet to hear a sound reason to rely on tabs. I keep hearing that that i'm whining because i expect something more and that seems sort of unfair. And tabs are just random notes unless you are already familiar with a meoldy which is a hinderance.

And thank y'all for your info on guitar tax and etc, and definately going to look into that.

Tablature is great really, its quick and easy. Why would you want to learn a song as a beginning guitarist that you didnt hear something you liked in anyways?

If you came across

Which one would be easier to read honestly??

and FURTHERMORE why is the open A in parentheses???
Thank you raptor.
I've heard the first good reason for practicing with tabs.
Quote by Silvanarix

and FURTHERMORE why is the open A in parentheses???

Because it's an optional note. You don't have to play it. There's already an A in the chord (2nd fret G string).
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Quote by Junior#1
Because it's an optional note. You don't have to play it. There's already an A in the chord (2nd fret G string).

Ah Very good =) But the actual music itself doesnt indicate that it is optional?
Quote by Silvanarix
Ah Very good =) But the actual music itself doesnt indicate that it is optional?

Yes it does. Look at the score. The second note from the bottom (the low A) is also in brackets.
Quote by Geldin
Quote by Silvanarix

There are parentheses in the actual music too.

I have to say that tabs are convenient, but I prefer sheet music. That's never gonna be the favorite way to read music for guitarists playing modern music for the simple fact that most of them don't want to learn in the same way many don't want to learn theory cause they think it will limit them. Hell, i think sheet music is a better mode of learning songs and I'm to lazy to get good playing guitar from it.
Quote by jsepguitar

What's limiting is learning some other person's song...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
IMO, and this is coming from someone who can't read sheet music that well, I think tabs are helpful for rythm if for some reason I had to learn a song I never played before it would be pretty helpful to see if it's a dotted eigth note than have to guess by how far apart each note is and just guess. Although in reality if I have to learn a song I never heard before chances are I would be shown it or have it played for me at least.
The drawback is already shown in that picture. Chords are confusing as hell to read in standard notation.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Lots O' FX
IMO, and this is coming from someone who can't read sheet music that well, I think tabs are helpful for rythm if for some reason I had to learn a song I never played before it would be pretty helpful to see if it's a dotted eigth note than have to guess by how far apart each note is and just guess. Although in reality if I have to learn a song I never heard before chances are I would be shown it or have it played for me at least.
The drawback is already shown in that picture. Chords are confusing as hell to read in standard notation.

its actually the other way around
Quote by jjirwin

Then don't use them and use your ears. I don't know get your issue. You want to rely on sheet music, but you don't want to rely on tabs? What difference does it make...the music is the same either way.
Quote by Lots O' FX

Not really. If you're used to reading standard notation it becomes second nature (reading chords). I can read both standard and tablature, I've been reading standard for 2 1/2 years and tablature for 8. Let's just say I can learn a longer classical song in half the on piano as it takes to learn a relatively similar song in difficulty on guitar reading tabs.

Secondly learning to read standard has improved my understanding of music. It helps you understand how rythyms work. It is the other way around. In tablature you do not get the time value for each note usually, you just have to figure it out yourself. Learning Piano is one of the best things I've done for my guitar playing.
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 15, 2010,