I have been cleaning up my technique alot(clean hammer ons, precise bends, smooth vibrato etc) and one thing that needs particular attention is fast alternate picking on a single string.

When i play songs like Holy Wars(Megadeth), One by Metallica(the breakdown section), Fight Fire with Fire by Metallica etc. How do you guys keep the actual number of strokes in check? Like in One is has 6 palm muted E notes then a E5 chord. Do you count the number of strokes in your head as you do it? Or is it more muscle memory or going by the actual sound of it? Songs like Holy wars changes alot on the E string(3 notes, 4 notes, 8 notes etc), whats the best way to get this technique down, especially at fast temps
I dont :P It just happens ...
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Triplets and 2 note beats im good with, but whenever it gets to something like groups of 5,6, 8 etc i sometimes miss a note or hit an extra note, i want it perfect
Quote by Megadeth09
I have been cleaning up my technique alot(clean hammer ons, precise bends, smooth vibrato etc) and one thing that needs particular attention is fast alternate picking on a single string.

When i play songs like Holy Wars(Megadeth), One by Metallica(the breakdown section), Fight Fire with Fire by Metallica etc. How do you guys keep the actual number of strokes in check? Like in One is has 6 palm muted E notes then a E5 chord. Do you count the number of strokes in your head as you do it? Or is it more muscle memory or going by the actual sound of it? Songs like Holy wars changes alot on the E string(3 notes, 4 notes, 8 notes etc), whats the best way to get this technique down, especially at fast temps

Practice it slow and count until you don't have to anymore, by the time you begin to speed things up with the metronome you shouldn't have to think about any aspect of it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
When I play one by metallica I can feel the rhythm when I am doing that fast E alternate picking. I dont have an explanation, but the song just sticks in my head soo well. I just enjoy its sound so much that I feel the song when I play it I guess..
I had the same problem for a long time. When I'd play One with a friend of mine, I'd just pick the string as fast as possible and do the power chord, no matter how many notes I played.

It's actually quite simple. You need to check how many of those notes there is. For example, if you're playing One, I believe there's 6(or 3) notes between each power chords. Now, just practice slowly doing the correct amount of notes. The way I started was by counting them while playing. 1-2-3-4-5-6-power chord-1-2-3-4-5-6-power chord, and so on. Eventually, you'll know how 3 notes sound, how 6 notes sound, etc.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

I don't really know how I'm doing it.... To be honest, I'm just matching my right hand to what I hear in the song.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09