Hi, so basicly I'm playing the acoustic almost a year now ( a few months to go ) I'm pretty happy with where I'v gone so far.

I can pull-of, i mean theres nothing fancy about that, its just that when i look at youtube and where there are part of tons of pull-ofs people seem to manage to play it with little effort, whereas I struggle, one pull-of is ok, maybe two. but when i see something like this played 1/2 @ 144

I want to smash the guitar into the wall, its seems so hard:
1) When not on the HIGH E( not even talking about the low E... there practicly nothing to "pull-off ), its needs so much pressure to nudge the string to get a decent sound..
2) Its seem that a few more pull-ofs and the skin of my fingers are gonna peal of

So how exactly are accoustic pull-ofs diffrent from the ones played on eletric, not the technique but the effort it takes, i mean eletrics have slimer necks, more flexyble string and stuff like that plus the amplification it gets - you dont need "pull the skin of your teeth" to get it ringing at a decent volume
Last edited by DocArunas at Jul 10, 2010,
You've diagnosed and summed up your own problem quite nicely.

You mentioned you've been playing about a year and you have a few months to go. Don't expect to be pulling off difficult pieces like this one with only a year of playing under your belt. I teach guitar and this is a common thread among new guitar players. They expect to be able to pull off tricks seen on YouTube that they're incapable of performing at this point in their ability to play.

Relax.

Take it easy.

Keep practicing. Take it slow. Play it slow. It will come. Don't get frustrated. Eventually, in a month, a year or a few years, you will get it and it will seem easy then. Don't give up.

Edit: On an acoustic, the strings have a lot more tension. They're larger diameter strings. So, it will take more effort. On an electric with 9s installed, the strings are quite easy to bend and do the other cool tricks. Maybe consider buying an electric with 9s installed. One thing I'll tell you, though - if you can do it on your acoustic, it'll be super easy on any electric. Trust me.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jul 10, 2010,
So your saying its because Im a newbie, and doing this on electric guitar wouldnt be any easier?
Well, for most players, the string gauge on their electric is lighter than the string gauge on their acoustic. As a result, doing what's simple on your electric now requires more finger strength on your acoustic. Also, as you mentioned, there's no electric amplification. So, you'll have to do your pull-offs cleaner and louder.

I don't think there's an easy solution, man. Most of what's going on I think has to do with developing the finger strength to do it. You could change you acoustic strings to a lighter gauge, but you don't wanna go too light or it may not sound good. Personally, I'd just practice until I got it down.

Finally, don't look to youtube for guitar guidance. Half of that is crap, and there's no way to know what is crap and what's the real thing. I'd avoid youtube as far as a learning tool for guitar, unless it's an established and well-known guitar teacher.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 10, 2010,
Well, I won't call anyone a newbie. Remember, I teach guitar, so my motivation is to encourage and reenforce good habit.

However, in the grand scheme of things, you are relatively new to guitar and haven't fully developed the muscle memory, mental neuron connections and skills required to play to a higher level. These things WILL come. I promise you, but you need to have the patience to realize that and keep practicing.

Of course it will be easier to do it on an electric - the strings don't have as much tension. However, as I've already mentioned, if you learn to do this on an acoustic, which can be done, it will be super easy on an electric. Consider buying an electric for this purpose.

Something else to realize, is that you need to be on the 3 to 5 year plan. What's that? Plan on it taking between 3 and 5 years for you to be good enough to consider joining a band. That doesn't mean you'll be like Satriani or the other guitar gods, but by that time, you should have enough of a skills base built that you're ready to join a band. Want to be like Satriani? That will take a few more years. However, it is attainable.

Practice...
Quote by KG6_Steven
You've diagnosed and summed up your own problem quite nicely.

This.

Quote by DocArunas
you dont need "pull the skin of your teeth" to get it ringing at a decent volume

FYI, "skin of your teeth" is used to describe how close an encounter was. For example, if you were parked on train tracks, and you got out of the car seconds before the train smashed it into a million pieces, you would have escaped by the skin of your teeth.
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by KG6_Steven

Something else to realize, is that you need to be on the 3 to 5 year plan. What's that? Plan on it taking between 3 and 5 years for you to be good enough to consider joining a band. That doesn't mean you'll be like Satriani or the other guitar gods, but by that time, you should have enough of a skills base built that you're ready to join a band. Want to be like Satriani? That will take a few more years. However, it is attainable.

Practice...

There is no set limit on when you are good enough to join a band. Joining a band can lead to new knowledge and experience and perhaps speed up your learning process and passion. I haven't been playing for a very long time, 2 years, but thats just my view man. Everything else you have said is great advice though.

Join a band when you feel ready and want to. Being around other musicians that are productive can help influence creativity and passion for expanding your knowledge, musically and technically.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory