So I'm planning to build a tele real soon. Got the schematic and everything down to program for the machines already. The neck will be ordered from Warmoth since i'm still a newbie at this and since it's a quite complicated process to put down the first time. I will watch the body to be carved from a piece of timber, though

Basically it will be interestingly enough a mixed breed between a Telecaster and Les Paul. Take the neck pickup and elegant look of the tele and combine them with the mahogany mass and scale length of the Les Paul.

Anyway, here's the spec and what i'm going to do with them.

Body:
Telecaster style 1-piece dark red Mahogany. As thick as Les Paul body.
Tummy cut back & front
Contour cut at the back of neck pocket
Telecaster standard 3 ply pickguard
Rear cavity

The reason I will try to make this guitar as thick as possible is sustain(!). I know it will be quite heavy with such big chunk of mahogany but it definitely will be quite unique, I think.

Neck:
Bolt-on
Flame maple back and fretboard.
Scale length: 24.75"
No inlay. I will carve my own inlays once it arrived.
Frets: 22, medium jumbo stainless
Profile: Medium thin
Nut: Custom bone carved by myself or Earvana compensated nut.
Tuners: Sperzel locking

Pickups
Neck: Single coil
Bridge: Humbucker

Not decided yet which pickups i'm going to put in there. I have a few SD laying around but maybe I will want to try something new. Both are carved to be mounted directly into the wood
1 volume, 1 tone, Gibson 3-way switch.

So what do you guys think about this configuration? If you have any cool idea to do with the body please fire it away.

::: EDIT :::
Here's what I want the guitar to look like when finished

Hardtail, wrap-over bridge

Bigsby installed (planned for even more future upgrade)

Now i'm having a hard time choosing flamed or birdseye fretboard. Both are so goshdamn beautiful!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jul 10, 2010,
I don't know how many people here have access to the machinery to just have a chunk of wood carved directly into a guitar, but it sounds cool.

Is the neck going to come with frets on it? If so, you're going to want to be very careful when doing the inlay.

What kind of finish is this going to have? Just filler and/or clear.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
My dad owns a factory but he never told me he has a whole range of machineries capable of carving timbers. And he told me they have quite a chunk of dried Mahogany available. Of course I dived headin instantly.

The frets will be preinstalled with the neck. The inlays will be somewhat similar to ESP Horizon offset mini blocks. I will probably carve them out with tools or program the machine to do it for me. A bit risky, though.

I will use tung oil finish on both the body and neck. The body will be finished with some red tin applied to it until it shows gloss. The neck will be lightly finished to make it feel like a raw neck. Think Tele body shape, SG oiled finish but with Les Paul properties, with ESP inlays on a flame maple neck (man! It gonna be an abomination this one)

I'm still in the process of choosing what tung oil to use, though. Probably I will have to test them out for a week on another piece of mahogany first.

EDiT>

Anyone can give me some pointers about what neck pocket screw system to use?
I have seen a few other alternatives other than the 4-screws standard from Fender
Maybe I should try tom Anderson 2-screws system r even try some extreme 8 screws like some Washburn?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jul 11, 2010,