Page 1 of 2
Hey, I've recently been thinking about life in general, and I want to move to Norway. I find it amusing that when I was 12 I thought 'I want to move to Norway, it's soo grim and kvlt!' and that I only recently realised that there are actually some real reasons I want to live there - the weather, the landscape, the political state of the country, a new start etc.

I want to move after university, although have a few holidays to there and Denmark before hand (fortunately the languages are apparently quite similar so if I prefer one country to the other I should be able to change quite easily), and I figure learning the language will definitely be beneficial to getting a job as a doctor in the Norwegian Health Service.

Firstly, I don't know whether to learn Bokmal or Nynorsk, but according to Wikipedia the former is more commonly spoken in Norway, so I will probably learn that one - any contrary opinions will be gladly listened to.

Secondly, does anyone know of any books - that is if you think books are helpful at all in learning a language - that should be helpful for me in learning either language?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
dont move i think you are gonna regret it
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
If it were my choice I'd take norway any day. IMO the languages are not that alike but norweigan rules :P
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by ShortSpaceWAng
dont move i think you are gonna regret it

I'll still be on UG, possibly, and It will be in atleast decades time - 1 year GCSEs left 2 years college and 7 or so years medical training IIRC

EDIT:

Quote by BobStinsonRules
I'm norwegian!

But why the **** do you wanna come here?
Heres a site with some of the basics http://www.101languages.net/norwegian/
And what city?
But again, why the **** do you want to move to NORWAY?

Thanks for the site!

I'm not really sure on the city, but that's why I plan to have holidays there before hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality sorted by UN gini
The cold weather - I love snow and cold weather generally, the fact your a relatively left wing country, you have rather low population density and your a very secular country to start.

Last edited by metallicafan616 at Jul 10, 2010,
You go for Wikipedia and the Pit. You're on the track, bud.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Bokmål is very similar to the dialect spoken in the capital, understood by everyone in Norway, and is usually spoken by immigrants. In addition, swedes and danes both understand Norwegian, and the Danish language is weird; sure I understand it, but I can not speak it well enough.

BobStinsonRules, forstår du virkelig ikke hvorfor noen vil dra hit? Vi har pådratt oss rykte for å være et av de beste landende å leve i velferdsmessig. Politikken vår er ganske bra også.

One more thing TS, I am afreaid that the politics are turning a horrible direction; the most right-winged of the major parties, FRP (Fremskrittspartiet; The Progress Party), is just getting more and more votes, just because cheap ways to attract abdolescents, such as lower alcohol prices
EDIT: They're not bad as in american kinda bad politically, nor do they sit in power...yet...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by Andragon
You go for Wikipedia and the Pit. You're on the track, bud.

Those are based on UN reports, which I believe I can trust.

http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/ For Human Development Index
http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/indicators/161.html for Gini Index

EDIT:

Quote by sfaune92
Bokmål is very similar to the dialect spoken in the capital, understood by everyone in Norway, and is usually spoken by immigrants. In addition, swedes and danes both understand Norwegian, and the Danish language is weird; sure I understand it, but I can not speak it well enough.

I thought I would be learning that language too, thanks for clearing that up.

and any understanding is better than none I guess.

Quote by shmikeyboy
You could do a year or term abroad while you're at uni.

I don't know how that would work with Medicine, although I have considered that if I go into Physics instead.

Wow, I think this sounds like a bold and intriguing choice, and I definitely think you should go for it. Norway has a deeply fascinating culture that will most likely provide a stark yet stimulating contrast to what you have experienced most of your life.

Let me say what my credentials are: my parents are from the States, but I was born and raised in Norway. I speak both languages fluently, and am familiar with both Bokmål, Nynorsk and many of the other dialects that you find around the country. Between living in Norway, talking to my parents and being on several vacations to the States and talking to relatives etc, I like to think that I have a relativly good insight when it comes to the differences and similarities between Norway and other parts of the world.

Besides, I'm active in politics, and have spent much of my time studying political and cultural phenomenons in this country. It really is quite absorbing once you get in to it.

Take my word for it or not, I really do believe that living in Norway, whether it be for a shorter or longer period of time, would really do anyone some good, give you a new perspective, a new experience and ultimately change your life (for the better, I would hope and expect). I cannot tell you how grateful I am that my parents moved here before I was born.

As for Norwegian books, etc, I can't help you there, I can only assume that there are plenty of books, even computer programmes that teach you the language, or at least the basics of it. One thing I can tell you is that it's a rather simple language in the sense that when conjugating verbs, the verb doesn't change depending on who it's addressing, it only changes for each tense, ergo instead of I am, you are, he/she/it is" it would be: "I am, you am, he/she/it am..." easy, right?

If you have any otherquestions whatsoever, feel free to direct them directly to my UG-profile.

I wish you luck!

Cheers, Robert Ippolito
Well, I'm gonna quote my pops on this matter:

"I have met nice people all around the world. Israel, Australia, USA, Sweden, Ghana, Zambia, Niger, hell, even in Poland. But there is one country where I have never met anyone who was nice. Norway."

Funny part is, he's half norwegian, and that makes me 1/4 norwegian. But seriously, norwegians are a little special, so watch out. Some of them, note it's only some of them, suffers from the same mental syndrome as some earlier colonialpowers suffer from. They think they are the best, even though they lost their power over a hundred yeas ago. In norway it's the whole oil thing that keeps them afloat, and trust me, the second the well runs dry they will beg to become part of EU. Also, when that time comes, they won't have any wares or industry or anything to offer the world. Just sayin'.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
I can't say much about Norway, but I can expect it to be as cold as Canada.

If it is, may god have mercy on your soul.
Quote by sfaune92

BobStinsonRules, forstår du virkelig ikke hvorfor noen vil dra hit? Vi har pådratt oss rykte for å være et av de beste landende å leve i velferdsmessig. Politikken vår er ganske bra også.

One more thing TS, I am afreaid that the politics are turning a horrible direction; the most right-winged of the major parties, FRP (Fremskrittspartiet; The Progress Party), is just getting more and more votes, just because cheap ways to attract abdolescents, such as lower alcohol prices.

Haha, you do have a point when it comes to politics, og ja, BobStintonRules kan faenmeg dra til helvete.
Quote by Robert I.
*rest of post*

As for Norwegian books, etc, I can't help you there, I can only assume that there are plenty of books, even computer programmes that teach you the language, or at least the basics of it. One thing I can tell you is that it's a rather simple language in the sense that when conjugating verbs, the verb doesn't change depending on who it's addressing, it only changes for each tense, ergo instead of I am, you are, he/she/it is" it would be: "I am, you am, he/she/it am..." easy, right?

If you have any otherquestions whatsoever, feel free to direct them directly to my UG-profile.

I wish you luck!

Cheers, Robert Ippolito

Firstly, thanks a lot for taking the time to post all that and for wishing me luck too.

I had heard the language was fairly similar in terms of grammar, which was encouraging as the grammar is all I don't understand in Deutsch.

Again, thanks!

Quote by Gakbez

"I have met nice people all around the world. Israel, Australia, USA, Sweden, Ghana, Zambia, Niger, hell, even in Poland. But there is one country where I have never met anyone who was nice. Norway."

Funny part is, he's half norwegian, and that makes me 1/4 norwegian. But seriously, norwegians are a little special, so watch out. Some of them, note it's only some of them, suffers from the same mental syndrome as some earlier colonialpowers suffer from. They think they are the best, even though they lost their power over a hundred yeas ago. In norway it's the whole oil thing that keeps them afloat, and trust me, the second the well runs dry they will beg to become part of EU. Also, when that time comes, they won't have any wares or industry or anything to offer the world. Just sayin'.

Your dad sounds fun, but whats wrong with joining the EU? I don't plan to move to Norway for money and in fact plan to donate as much of my money as possible (minus living expenses and donations towards a pension) straight back into the health service.

EDIT:

Quote by sfaune92

One more thing TS, I am afreaid that the politics are turning a horrible direction; the most right-winged of the major parties, FRP (Fremskrittspartiet; The Progress Party), is just getting more and more votes, just because cheap ways to attract abdolescents, such as lower alcohol prices
EDIT: They're not bad as in american kinda bad politically, nor do they sit in power...yet...

That's not good at all. Granted, perhaps I can work my magic and convince people in Norway to vote left when I move there, I like to believe I played a part in keeping Chris Huhne as the Local MP here by arguing well with right wing parents of all my friends

Yes, I know that really I'm probably quite insignificant.

Quote by Gakbez

You will find nice people and not-so-nice people everywhere, stop generalizing.

EDIT: Sorry, should have read more closely, but you are still making a big problem out of the few you're talking about.
Last edited by GisleAune at Jul 10, 2010,
Well, that is all fine and dandy. Theres nothing wrong in joining EU, I live in Denmark and we have been in it for like, 40 years or something. I'm just saying that Norways wealth is based upon their oil, and it has been like that for many many years, and it probably won't last forever, and when it stops lasting, it will degrade as fast as Denmark. (We have a part-nazi part-retard government)
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
I recommend trying to get some real lessons from someone, look on Gumtree, I'm sure there's a tutor around.

Failing that, the Teach Yourself books have never set me wrong.
Quote by Gakbez

*long, long rant about Norwegian people being shitholes*

Yeah, just as in England -- and of course the rest of the worlds -- you'll find shitholes and amazing people in Norway. I am an albino -- a freak if you want -- and know both the good and the bad side about this country. I know a few fantastic people, and a lot of shitholes, but I won't go on about the whole country being a shithole; your father might've just had bad luck.

The main difference between Norway and America is that people are more reserved; you can't say the same about us as you can about the Americans: "If you've known an American for 10 minutes, you know his (or her) life story."
Quote by Gakbez
Well, that is all fine and dandy. Theres nothing wrong in joining EU, I live in Denmark and we have been in it for like, 40 years or something. I'm just saying that Norways wealth is based upon their oil, and it has been like that for many many years, and it probably won't last forever, and when it stops lasting, it will degrade as fast as Denmark. (We have a part-nazi part-retard government)

Nothing wrong with a part-nazi part-redard govement?
I wish you much luck in your project but...oh well
But whatever you do, DO NOT MOVE TO THE HELLISH TOWN THAT IS KRISTIANSAND (thats where i live ).
But Oslo is okay, Stavanger too.
And whats with the guy who says norwegian are strange??
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I recommend trying to get some real lessons from someone, look on Gumtree, I'm sure there's a tutor around.

Failing that, the Teach Yourself books have never set me wrong.

I'm very lacking in money, so a one time payment for a book will work a lot better for me, so I will check out the Teach Yourself books then.

And Gisle, he's saying there is nothing inherently wrong with the EU, just that it coincided with the awful government change and that there may be a correlation.

EDIT: I plan to visit the top 5 largest cities on my first visit, then perhaps some towns the next time, so I hope to find something close to what I want that way.

Quote by metallicafan616
I'm very lacking in money, so a one time payment for a book will work a lot better for me, so I will check out the Teach Yourself books then.

And Gisle, he's saying there is nothing inherently wrong with the EU, just that it coincided with the awful government change and that there may be a correlation.

EDIT: I plan to visit the top 5 largest cities on my first visit, then perhaps some towns the next time, so I hope to find something close to what I want that way.

Have fun!

Kristiansand is an okay city for vacation but if you ever move here, you will discover that it's full of christian shitheads, nazis and conservatives.
Minimum wage in Norway is like £11/h and it has the lowest crime rate and prison population in Europe. All the Norwegians I know are lovely chicks with big boobs. Why would you not want to live there??
Quote by BobStinsonRules
Have fun!

Kristiansand is an okay city for vacation but if you ever move here, you will discover that it's full of christian shitheads, nazis and conservatives.

By the name, I'm not particularly surprised!

EDIT: ^ more reasons!

Stavanger is great, Oslo too (I live right next door to Stavanger, a less glamourous town by the name of Sandnes)
Quote by Robert I.
Stavanger is great, Oslo too (I live right next door to Stavanger, a less glamourous town by the name of Sandnes)

That's probably the kind of place I plan to live then - near a large city but isolated enough for me to handle.

Quote by ilikenuggets
Minimum wage in Norway is like £11/h and it has the lowest crime rate and prison population in Europe. All the Norwegians I know are lovely chicks with big boobs. Why would you not want to live there??

The minimum wage is £11, true, but as the wage gets higher, prices do. My guitar costs 900 bucks in US, however, I paid something equialent to 1950$ for it, and that was ****ing 15% off. Same goes for most other products.
Quote by GisleAune
The minimum wage is £11, true, but as the wage gets higher, prices do. My guitar costs 900 bucks in US, however, I paid something equialent to 1950$ for it, and that was ****ing 15% off. Same goes for most other products.

Don't be such a negative nancy, there's worse places to live

Is that Saami in your sig?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Don't be such a negative nancy, there's worse places to live

Is that Saami in your sig?

There are probably, It is a shame I couldn't import my guitar from the US, would have saved hella lot of money.

no.
Quote by GisleAune

But the wages match that.

The minimum wage is about $8 in the US, and that $900 is for a guitar that hasn't been imported. If you bought a Scandinavian made guitar in the US that was worth $900 it would probably come to around $1950, if not more, too.

Yes, it's one of the most expensive countries in the world but you earn some of the most on average, with the least inequality around the wages, too.

Quote by GisleAune

Things are more expensive there yes, but they're getting more value for the money that they earn than they would in the UK, so standard of living is higher. I don't understand why older people in Norway don't just move to England and live like Kings?
Also, did you read what I said about the girls there? With their boobs?
Quote by ilikenuggets
Things are more expensive there yes, but they're getting more value for the money that they earn than they would in the UK, so standard of living is higher. I don't understand why older people in Norway don't just move to England and live like Kings?
Also, did you read what I said about the girls there? With their boobs?

I don't think that it's true, with the boobs i mean.
But i you still want to believe it, well heres something to back it up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPCPE_JKecU
Disregard the 'nice girls with big boods'; I don't know where people get that one from.
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah I agree they should relax the laws on imports.

What language is it then?

The import tax is 25%, it would cost 100$ bucks to express import a guitar, still I would have saved a fortune. I also play Airsoft, and my brother ordered a gun costing 300 USD, and then that was around 1800kr, later I saw the same airsoft gun going for 7000kr in Norway (kr = norwegian currency)

As for the sig, it is just a line from a constructed language, nothing to discuss here in this thread or here at all.
Quote by sfaune92
Disregard the 'nice girls with big boods'; I don't know where people get that one from.

I already have been. It doesn't matter how big they if I still don't get them

Quote by jim morrison714
There seems to be a fascination with Scandinavian countries in the Pit.

Down to black metal most likely. I know when I was 12 I thought it was the grimmest country on earth, it was night all year round and that even the buildings bled it was so brutal.

Slight exaggeration, but you get my point

Page 1 of 2