Alright, so I was recently discussing with a friend how he got such an awesome tone for his Killswitch Engage covers, and he told me about a program called guitar rig

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-kontrol/

and I downloaded the demo to give it a shot, but how do I plug an electric guitar/amp into my computer? I'm a computer noob, so be kind
Last edited by bluntzilla2010 at Jul 10, 2010,
cheapest and easiest way would be to buy a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter and use it to plug your guitar cable into the microphone input on your computer. That's how I did it before buying the Kontrol pedal to go with it.
Quote by iduno871
cheapest and easiest way would be to buy a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter and use it to plug your guitar cable into the microphone input on your computer. That's how I did it before buying the Kontrol pedal to go with it.

I'm not even going to give the usual speech.

Do - not - plug - your - guitar - directly - into - your - computer

For something like this, your best bit is an audio interface.
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'm not even going to give the usual speech.

Do - not - plug - your - guitar - directly - into - your - computer

For something like this, your best bit is an audio interface.

OR you can plug directly and use a program called ASIO4all and perfect, you're good to go
i do it and it only gives me 5/10ms lag
versus the 30ms that i had before using ASIO4all
Quote by Fendet
OR you can plug directly and use a program called ASIO4all and perfect, you're good to go
i do it and it only gives me 5/10ms lag
versus the 30ms that i had before using ASIO4all

Yeah, but whenever you put on a high gain amp, or even a clean one, it'll sound like shit. Built in soundcards are not meant to be used for high quality in.
Totally forgot about ASIO4all You MUST have that software in order for this to work!

Ziphoblat
For what reason would you not plug a guitar into a computer? Please give the speech because as far as I know it works beautifully.
I'd just spend £20 on an external sound card tbh.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by iduno871
Totally forgot about ASIO4all You MUST have that software in order for this to work!

Ziphoblat
For what reason would you not plug a guitar into a computer? Please give the speech because as far as I know it works beautifully.

On account of the fact that he's offline, it just doesn't sound good. To go to the core of the problem (I'm a little busy at the moment) Your sound card is within your case, and of not high quality; this means that it's susceptible to interference within your computer, along with the other gripe of it just not being able to get the true quality that you want to a good tone, and detail. This is also made worse in the guitar rig case because all of that goes through a high gain amp. Think about it this way, you wouldn't buy a marshal, take out the input, and put your sound card there instead, and use a cable adaptor to make it work, would you?
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to get that adapter and try plugging in, if I really get a god awful sound then I'll look into getting an audio interface. Can anyone recommend any good ones that aren't super high end? (I'm a starving student on a budget)
Well everyone here seems to go nuts for the pod farms (gx, ux1 & ux2), and I thik it's fairly cheap, and it also comes with some guitar rig like software called pod farm for free, gx is cheapest
Quote by iduno871

Ziphoblat

As my fellow poster already said, it doesn't sound good.

The reason behind this is largely due to impedance; it doesn't match up (this, and the fact the you get ridiculous noise flaw because of the noisy microphone sockets on computers).

The result is a very compressed sound, your dynamics will be squashed, and the entire recording is left feeling dull and lifeless, and just sounds rubbish in general.

If you're going to try it, go for it (be aware that it can damage your computer), and if the sound's what you expected, then you're okay. But for anything remotely serious it's just completely unusable.

At some point I'd definitely recommend you invest in an audio interface.
Quote by theepiczebra
Yeah, but whenever you put on a high gain amp, or even a clean one, it'll sound like shit. Built in soundcards are not meant to be used for high quality in.

He speaks the truth, there is a slight possibility that the onboard soundcard on a desctop computer might work, but the possibility is too little to even consider it. And if so, a interface would be 10 times better any ways.