Hi guys, new member here so go easy on me. I've managed to get my hands on a cab which I'm told takes 60W at 4 ohms. Having only had experience with combos in the past, I'm looking for advice on a decent head. Seeing as 60W heads are rare, would I be right in assuming that my best bet is a 50W head at 4ohms? Ideally it needs to be loud enough for a band situation, and our sound is 90's lo-fi indie/ post-rock-ish (think Pavement, Guided by Voices, My Bloody Valentine, Slint, Mogwai etc). I'm sorted for pedals so I would want it to take pedals well, while a dirt channel or onboards effects obviously won't be necessary. I would like it to have an fx loop, but again that's not a necessity. My budget is about £500, but considering this will probably be a long-term investment I'm willing to go a bit higher than that within reason. New or 2nd hand, it doesn't matter, just looking for any advice and experience that's on hand. Thanks in advance.
'Twer me the most I'd run into a 60W cab is a 30W amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
vox ac30 head?
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Any reason why I would only want to run 30W in the cab? I immediately thought about the AC30 head as well but was just wondering if there were any other options I should give thought to.
probably cause a tube head can clip, and go over the wattage it is rated at, and thus having a cliipping 50 watt head in a 60 watt rated cab would not be a good idea also, not sure if this is a factor but head room could be affected.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
A 50W head means it's 50W before clipping. A 50W amp will produce more than that once you start cranking it.

Game, set and match. (if you can find one within budget on the used market.)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 10, 2010,
Many thanks guys, any thoughts on the Orange Dual Terror? That seems easier to get my hands on, and I could always use the 15 and 7 watt settings for bedroom practice.