hello all, im still only new to playing but trying to get down my technique, im trying to figure out how the hell you chunck and pick at the same time to get the scratch and note sound at the same time like on the beginning of the jack johnson you and your heart??? really can not get it for the life of me espically seeing as i have no clue what im doing lol

also, im finding im restricted to very basic chord patterns as my fingures wont bend and stretch to reach other notes, and when i try, they just touch other strings and end in a huge fail, so any tips on how to make my fingures well i wish longer as i got fair stubby hands lol but be able to bend and flex and stretch out to reach those hard chords???
He is laying his First and Second finger over all the strings to mute them throughout the whole thing, check it out in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3_1fiKu9iQ

Watch what he does, its not hard, just takes a little practice, but I have no interest in learning this song =/
FYI, there's two guitars in that song. The main riff is not coming from the same guitar that's doing the 'chucking' rhythm.

edit: talking about the album version, idk what you've been listening to, but it definitely sounds like multitracking in the music video. in the live video he stops playing the muted rhythm once the song gets underway and lets other backing fill in for it.
guitar
amp

some pedals
Last edited by tegrenath at Jul 10, 2010,
Play what you need to play, mute all unwanted strings and strum it like it's a chord. Another example of this is Can't Stop by RHCP.
Quote by tegrenath
FYI, there's two guitars in that song. The main riff is not coming from the same guitar that's doing the 'chucking' rhythm.

edit: talking about the album version, idk what you've been listening to, but it definitely sounds like multitracking in the music video. in the live video he stops playing the muted rhythm once the song gets underway and lets other backing fill in for it.

Nah its a single guitar in that video I posted, so it is possible..