I have an Hss strat with a dimarzio paf dp103 in the bridge (basic dimarzio paf style-not high output at all), and when I switch between it and one of the single coils, the volume drop off makes the single coils hard to use as much as I'd like. What are some single coils that will put out enough volume to match up with a humbucker? I do not want a single coil sized humbucker, but instead I want an actual sc to retain the single coil tone.
Last edited by guns_rosesldb at Jul 10, 2010,
Have you tried raising the SCs and lowering the HB a bit? That might make all the difference you want, and comes at the best of prices.
Lace Sensor makes a bunch of SC pickups, and they have them colour coded for output and voicing.

I think the Lace Sensor Reds are the highest output, I'm not sure. You might not want the highest output, IIRC the Dimarzio is about 8k?

It might also be your wiring and pots, so if those are stock changing them for better pots and maybe a blade-switch (this more for reliability) could help your problem.

Also how do you like your Dimarzio PAF? I've been looking to replace the buckers in my Iceman and the Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary set caught my eye, demos sounded good (although not a good way to buy pickups lol).
As mentioned above, adjust your pick up height to the desired level that you are looking for.
Quote by Tedward
Lace Sensor makes a bunch of SC pickups, and they have them colour coded for output and voicing.

I think the Lace Sensor Reds are the highest output, I'm not sure. You might not want the highest output, IIRC the Dimarzio is about 8k?

It might also be your wiring and pots, so if those are stock changing them for better pots and maybe a blade-switch (this more for reliability) could help your problem.

Also how do you like your Dimarzio PAF? I've been looking to replace the buckers in my Iceman and the Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary set caught my eye, demos sounded good (although not a good way to buy pickups lol).

Its right around 8k nothing with the electronics except the 2 single coils are stock. I had it rewired for a coil tap and push/pull killswitch. Ill try adjusting the height though. As far as how i like the pickup itself, I love it. However, It isnt very tight (if thats the correct term) when I play really heavy stuff, but thats not really something that the pickup is meant to do exactly. The coil tap for it sounds kinda weak though.